St. Louis Stallions

ddub53

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

some people have never known the Rams to be from Los Angeles...and soon they'll be others that have never known the Rams to be from St. Louis.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

some people have never known the Rams to be from Los Angeles...and soon they'll be others that have never known the Rams to be from St. Louis.

And how many know that they started in Cleveland?

I know. That's easy to forget because that was over 60 years ago when they went to Tinseltown.

*raises hand*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

*raises hand*

Or that the Arizona Cardinals started in Chicago.

PersonDivided-2-1.png

*raises hand*

Or that the St Louis Cardinals almost ended up in Columbus instead of Arizona?

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

*raises hand*

Or even as the Morgan Athletic Club in Chicago. In 1898. (Or 1899 depending on the source.)

*raises hand*

"Almost" is putting it rather generously. It was most certainly one of the whistle-stops on Bill Bidwill's 1987 "Whore In A Bow Tie" tour, but there was never any affirmative step toward relocating the franchise there. Bidwill made the rounds in Baltimore, Birmingham, Columbus, Jacksonville, Oakland and Phoenix. I do think it's fair to state that Columbus lobbied the hardest but it was a fairly foregone conclusion that Phoenix was #1 on Bidwill's list. Columbus's lone saving grace was the hope that the well established (for nearly 6 years) and apparently fully-funded Phoenix Firebirds group (led in part by former GB quarterback Bart Starr) would be awarded an expansion franchise, thus removing Phoenix from Bidwill's list of pick cities. However, the league chose not to add a single expansion team and thus the only hope Columbus had of landing an NFL franchise vaporized. Quite honestly, I think Columbus was never under serious consideration by the Cardinals. Had the Firebirds been admitted as the league's 29th team I'm pretty sure Bidwill would have moved the Cardinals to Baltimore and stirred up a :censored:storm with Jack Kent Cooke.

"Almost" is putting it rather generously.

Yeah, according to a quick Google News search, they went from "The owner of the NFL's St. Louis Cardinals will discuss moving his team to Columbus" to "The owner of the NFL St. Louis Cardinals told a delegation from Columbus, Ohio, that he would not move his team there" in under three weeks. Doesn't look like he was ever seriously considering it.

"Almost" is putting it rather generously.

Yeah, according to a quick Google News search, they went from "The owner of the NFL's St. Louis Cardinals will discuss moving his team to Columbus" to "The owner of the NFL St. Louis Cardinals told a delegation from Columbus, Ohio, that he would not move his team there" in under three weeks. Doesn't look like he was ever seriously considering it.

That does make sense. I can't fathom Ohio having 3 NFL teams nor the Buckeyes sharing the football spotlight with anyone else.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

On a quick note of the Browns/Ravens, is there anyone else who recalls Vinny Testaverde's comments to an ESPN correspondent that the recently-moved Browns were going to be known as the "Stallions"? It was shown on a SportsCenter segment about the team's move, and I think it was shown after the Super Bowl had been played that year. I remember talking to a friend of mine about it on the phone that night as well, but never seen it mentioned here.

And that feaux Hound Dogs' "M" is the font "Air Millhouse Itallic", and it is the same as what Mtn Dew uses on their packaging.

98Falcons.png

I knew also that they started in Cleveland, and I was born in 1970.

I knew also that they started in Cleveland, and I was born in 1970.

There are some who have tried to piece together some of the very, very scarce and patchy documentation of the early NFL to suggest that the Cleveland Rams were not granted their own NFL franchise but were rather the transferees of a franchise agreement held by the group that last operated a team under the name "Gunners," as in, yes, the St. Louis Gunners. So, in a sense, there was a pocket of local journalists and boosters making the claim that 1995 marked the "return" of the Rams to their "original" home. And, come to think of it, "Gunners" would certainly be a time and market accurate brand for an NFL franchise playing in the literal and figurative shadow of the region's Ground Zero for firearms-based crimes.

Me, bitter because my car was broken into and looted right outside the Ed Jones Dome? Never!

I could actually see the Rams moving back to LA, St. Louis Stallions replacing the Rams. Toronto getting a franchise (or have the Bills relocating from Buffalo)named the Rhinos.

I don't think the Rams will ever move back to LA. At least, I sure hope not.

I could see the Raiders going back. They play in a dump and have senile owner.

87Redskins.png

On a quick note of the Browns/Ravens, is there anyone else who recalls Vinny Testaverde's comments to an ESPN correspondent that the recently-moved Browns were going to be known as the "Stallions"? It was shown on a SportsCenter segment about the team's move, and I think it was shown after the Super Bowl had been played that year. I remember talking to a friend of mine about it on the phone that night as well, but never seen it mentioned here.

I absolutely remember this. He was walking, saying that they were going to be called "Stallions" or "Mustangs." I always thought it was a trial balloon.

• 2 weeks later...

Only in St Louis. I'm confident one of the two LA plans will go through, as confident as I am that St Louis will not be able to build them a new stadium.

But the Rams cannot move before 2015.

One of those plans will go through before than and Jacksonville or Oakland or some other team will move to LA before St. Louis gets a chance to.

Only in St Louis. I'm confident one of the two LA plans will go through, as confident as I am that St Louis will not be able to build them a new stadium.

One of those plans will go through before than and Jacksonville or Oakland or some other team will move to LA before St. Louis gets a chance to.

Presuming for a moment that the Rams cannot break the lease, and are in fact locked into St. Louis through the 2014 season for a moment...

Jacksonville or Oakland are both in the AFC. So's San Diego, the other most likely candidate. Los Angeles will be needing an NFL team as well, to maintain a balance in the television packages, and so the Rams will be joining the Jaguars or Raiders or Chargers in their new stadium in 2015.

Uh huh. And when's that ever kept anyone in town? They'll be gone before 2015 if the NFL wishes to make it so.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived