2011-2012 NCAA Football Uniform Thread

Lights Out

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Truth be told, there is no such thing as a good or bad uniform. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

You haven't said much in this thread that I agree with but on that point we actually agree. Which begs the question; if that's how you see things, why are you arguing with anyone who disagrees with you?

I don't know, I like arguing, it's fun. but only if there is some kind of reasons being made for an argument. You can't win an argument against someone who says "I'm right because I say so". Then it's not fun.

So first you say "Truth be told, there is no such thing as a good or bad uniform. It's all in the eye of the beholder." Then you say you're trying to "win" an argument over something that you yourself just admitted is subjective. Newsflash chief. When the argument is over a subjective opinion, you can't "win." Ever. Period.

People are probably going to call you an idiot or a moron. They're probably going to call you a wide variety of derogatory names. When they do, you might want to remember this little exchange. Just in case you're not following me here, you pretty much admitted that you're basically behaving the way you are for the sheer joy of being an ass-hole. Good luck with that. I'm sure it will serve you well around here.

That's why it's so fun. There is no right answer. If there was a right answer, then nobody would argue. The fun is trying to achieve a goal that is unobtainable. You have to convince someone that you are right when there is no such thing as right. But there has to be a reason behind each answer. Otherwise, it turns into this forum. Grant it, I helped this forum turn into what it is now, but I've admitted when I'm wrong, I stood ground when I think I'm right. That's how people should argue.

the best point made in the thread

creative solutions to problems dont have right answers. but the designers who are really valuable and at the top of their game know "why". why type, color, composition, etc. communicate what they do and how to use them to send a message. what i mean is, its true beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but there are solutions that work, and those that dont because there are standards that have been set through thousands of years of human art/design history. knowing those standards and when to break them makes you a valuable designer

i try to withhold from saying things like "that looks terrible" unless its just obvious, and explain why i do or dont like a design, what its elements are communicating, and critique its use of design principals (balance, contrast, etc). i think thats where most of the back and forth baseless arguments start, then it leads to fact checking and other example comparisons. if you're going to critique something, give a good reason why

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

It looks like it got lost in the four page argument from last night, but somebody posted that Nike is working with TCU on a rebrand. I think that could turn out really well for TCU, the frog logo could use a nice update.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

It looks like it got lost in the four page argument from last night, but somebody posted that Nike is working with TCU on a rebrand. I think that could turn out really well for TCU, the frog logo could use a nice update.

I'm not real sure exactly what the partnership means. All I know is Nike wants to advertise on campus and promote TCU. TCU got new football uniforms in 2009, then again in 2011; so I'm not real sure a full rebrand is what to expect.

I'm going to see if I can compile all the statements made by the AD about the relationship:

GREETINGS FROM CHINA!

It's an absolute honor for me to be on a tour of Nike's impressive production facilities in Southeast Asia. I'm traveling with a group from Nike, the NCAA and several athletics directors from other schools who also share a close relationship with Nike. We began our 10-day journey in Vietnam. We then hit Hong Kong and Shanghai before concluding in Beijing. We'll be headed home Sunday and then back in the office first thing Monday.

http://gofrogs.cstv.com/genrel/011911aaa.html

A GREAT PARTNER

Our special relationship with Nike will soon become more visible throughout our athletics program, especially facilities and uniforms for all our sports programs. Nike representatives have been on campus to observe how to best brand our product. We are very fortunate and grateful to be an elite partner of Nike.

http://gofrogs.cstv.com/blog/2011/03/notes-on-a-scorecard---march-30-2011.html

HELMET

Purple anodized paint, semi-matte finish, with custom “Lizard Skin” hydro-dip pattern

High-gloss black center helmet stripe

New custom TCU font used on front and back bumper decals “FROGS” and “HORNED FROGS”

JERSEY

Purple, White and Black Speed Machine Jerseys

All new custom TCU number font with “spike” stencil shapes

Light weight, stretch twill with sublimated “Lizard Skin” pattern in each number, kiss-cut twill outline

New custom embroidered TCU logo neck patch, shaped like Horned Frog “Spike”

PANTS

Purple, White and Black Speed Machine Pants

New custom embroidered TCU Horned Frog logo patch on hip

http://gofrogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/040411aab.html

FASHION WATCH

I've received many phone calls about our new Nike football uniforms and helmet that we unveiled at last Saturday's banquet and then posted on our website. We very much value our relationship with Nike and how much they've become a part of the TCU family. Gary Patterson worked closely with Nike and its design team on enhancing our brand nationally. The new set of uniforms and helmet simply provide us with another option on what to wear each game. We now have four sets of uniforms and four different helmets, including our traditional helmet with the Frog, our new one and the two from the Pro Combat series. The student-athletes in our football program and those we are recruiting are passionate about uniforms and love the options now available through Nike.

http://gofrogs.cstv.com/blog/2011/04/notes-on-a-scorecard---april-6-2011.html

Mitchell (Ft. Worth): Will our new deal with Nike mean more merchandise is available for fans?

Chris Del Conte: Yes. Our partnership with Nike will not only include new uniforms for all our sports, but will also enhance the apparel selection for our fans.

http://gofrogs.cstv.com/chat/040811aaa.html

Arnold (St. Pete, Fla.): Do you have a Nike tattoo?

Chris Del Conte: No, Arnold. I do not have a Nike tattoo, but that's hilarious

Mike (Irving): Is there a plan of some way to honor past TCU greats with statues or a ring of honor type thing when the stadium renovations are complete?

Chris Del Conte: Great question. We've engaged Nike and HKS (architecture firm handling the stadium renovation) to help identify spaces in and around the stadium to honor our TCU greats.

Kyle (Seattle): Can you describe in any more detail Nike's branding involvement around campus?

Chris Del Conte: We've engaged Nike to do an overall branding of our product. We expect to have it unveiled in time for the 2012 season.

http://gofrogs.cstv.com/chat/051111aaa.html

I am of the opinion that nothing is sacred.

Except for St. Phil Knight and Oregon amirite?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Translation: We floated it out as a trial balloon, and yeah, that balloon ended up being made of lead. I will never have the political capital necessary to turn the Trojans into Raider clones.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I am of the opinion that nothing is sacred.

Except for St. Phil Knight and Oregon amirite?

Not even Oregon. i hated the uniforms they wore in the Civil War game. And don't get me started on the flame helmets...

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I'm not real sure exactly what the partnership means. All I know is Nike wants to advertise on campus and promote TCU. TCU got new football uniforms in 2009, then again in 2011; so I'm not real sure a full rebrand is what to expect.

I'm going to see if I can compile all the statements made by the AD about the relationship:

GREETINGS FROM CHINA!

It's an absolute honor for me to be on a tour of Nike's impressive production facilities in Southeast Asia. I'm traveling with a group from Nike, the NCAA and several athletics directors from other schools who also share a close relationship with Nike. We began our 10-day journey in Vietnam. We then hit Hong Kong and Shanghai before concluding in Beijing. We'll be headed home Sunday and then back in the office first thing Monday.

http://gofrogs.cstv..../011911aaa.html

Human rights?* We want the right to be in the BCS! That is why we are going to the Big East.

*-Not that Notre Dame no legal/ethical issues of their own.

9579315-large.jpg

Kent State says that should they make a bowl game, the gold helmet in the case will be their bowl helmet

haha well good luck with that

yeah too bad Kent State has been irrelevant since the 70s haha

...and Akron hasn't? I mean, you guys lost to Youngstown State the last time you played us.

(BTW, at least Kent's got an Elite Eight in the last 10 years. Something that got a lot more coverage and attention than you guys' soccer title. But you both suck. Go Penguins.)

As pointless as a MAC argument is, don't add to it by bringing up Youngstown. They aren't even FBS and not a rival of either school, maybe at one point but not anymore. Boils down to jealousy...

Hey, I'll take my 4 national championships any day. Plus, IMO if YSU played Akron next year, the Penguins wouldn't have a bad shot at all at winning the game. Just sayin'.

6fQjS3M.png

GREETINGS FROM CHINA!

http://gofrogs.cstv..../011911aaa.html

Human rights?* We want the right to be in the BCS! That is why we are going to the Big East.

*-Not that Notre Dame no legal/ethical issues of their own.

What the hell do BCS conferences have to do with human rights, where licensed merchandise is produced or uniforms?

Damn....that's nice. Plus, BLACK is one of their colors. Now if Nike could only convince Iowa to ditch the Pittsburgh Steelers ripoff look (at least change the stripe pattern).

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Damn....that's nice. Plus, BLACK is one of their colors. Now if Nike could only convince Iowa to ditch the Pittsburgh Steelers ripoff look (at least change the stripe pattern).

I know it's not THAT much farther from the Steelers but Iowa should go with something like this:

stanzi-retro.jpg

Put the tiger-hawk logo on that thing in black, make the facemask black, add some white in the uniform somewhere, you have a good looking set. Or even bring in the regular helmet and keep the uni how it is.

I know it's not THAT much farther from the Steelers but Iowa should go with something like this:

stanzi-retro.jpg

Put the tiger-hawk logo on that thing in black, make the facemask black, add some white in the uniform somewhere, you have a good looking set. Or even bring in the regular helmet and keep the uni how it is.

Love that, but adding white is unnecessary. It would probably look too forced, plus my personal opinion is that teams look great in simple, two-color designs.

I'm not 100% against monochrome, but I hate when the helmet is a lighter color than the pants and jersey such as this or when South Carolina goes all-black or all-garnet with their white helmets and so on and so forth. So basically, gold pants dammit. I do like that there's no white in the uniform (other than the outline on the logo). The one thing I didn't like about the previous set was the helmet striping. Every other part of the uniform had two black or two gold stripes depending on the background except for the helmet with the white stripe in the middle.

I'm not 100% against monochrome, but I hate when the helmet is a lighter color than the pants and jersey such as this or when South Carolina goes all-black or all-garnet with their white helmets and so on and so forth. So basically, gold pants dammit. I do like that there's no white in the uniform (other than the outline on the logo). The one thing I didn't like about the previous set was the helmet striping. Every other part of the uniform had two black or two gold stripes depending on the background except for the helmet with the white stripe in the middle.

Getting the helmet and match a jersey and/or pants is almost impossible due to it being 2 completely different materials.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Getting the helmet and match a jersey and/or pants is almost impossible due to it being 2 completely different materials.

Plenty of teqams match gold helmets and gold pants just fine. It's not like the jersey and pants are the same material either.

Archived