Super Bowl XLVI logo rough draft?

sportsfan0518

The people outside the main city proper who seem to demand inclusion.

Petty and small-minded.

For what it's worth though, someone from Arlington or Fort Worth probably wouldn't say they're from Dallas when first asked. Everyone from around here just says they're from Indy despite the fact that a lot of live in the 'burbs. The actual Indy metro area is somewhat spread out but not Indy itself.

6fQjS3M.png

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Petty and small-minded.

For what it's worth though, someone from Arlington or Fort Worth probably wouldn't say they're from Dallas when first asked. Everyone from around here just says they're from Indy despite the fact that a lot of live in the 'burbs. The actual Indy metro area is somewhat spread out but not Indy itself.

That's for damn sure.

The Super Bowl in DFW was a JOINT effort. Dallas wasn't the only city here who was involved, so of course Fort Worth and Arlington demanded inclusion. Nothing "petty or small-minded" about it. This meant much, MUCH more for Fort Worth and Arlington (really just Fort Worth) than Dallas. Indy and most other cities in this country wouldn't understand that...

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

I really hope they make a unique Super Bowl Logo. The one thing I liked the most about the Super Bowl was the unique logo designs that would come out every year. If they start making annual updates like the NHL and NBA Finals do, it would lose some of its charm.

STL.png

From an NBC Sports Video...

7caed7de.png

Well well well, It looks like another good part of the NFL is gone. We're gonna have a bland lifeless Super Bowl logo shoved in our faces year after year. Welcome to the No Fun League, boys and girls. Goodell is running the league into the ground. I'll stick with Hockey, a REAL action sport!

Shut up.

billc is right, I love the NFL but this logo screams bland and boringness (I said the exact same thing for SB 45 originally and I will never change my opinion!) Other than the huge Lombardi Trophy (and stadium for local variants) I wouldn't even know if this was the primary logo or a script...

And he's also correct that Roger Goodell stinks.... if the NFL goes lockout, this will be a nail in his coffin.

Not to mention that the standard layout of the logo is going to look really goofy in five years when we hit Super Bowl L - or for that matter, in four years with Super Bowl IL. At least with XLV and XLVI, the Roman numeral is long enough to keep the rest of the logo from looking too gangly.

CCSLC signature.png

Petty and small-minded.

That's for damn sure.

The Super Bowl in DFW was a JOINT effort. Dallas wasn't the only city here who was involved, so of course Fort Worth and Arlington demanded inclusion. Nothing "petty or small-minded" about it. This meant much, MUCH more for Fort Worth and Arlington (really just Fort Worth) than Dallas. Indy and most other cities in this country wouldn't understand that...

Fort Worth I get. Arlington not so much. Arlington wants to be fun and hip without paying the price for it. "Sure we have Six Flags, Hurricane Harbor (whatever it's called now), the wax museum, the Texas Rangers and now, by gum the Dallas Cowboys and the Super Bowl!" Get a train to connect it all.

newsig.jpg

Petty and small-minded.

That's for damn sure.

Fort Worth I get. Arlington not so much. Arlington wants to be fun and hip without paying the price for it. "Sure we have Six Flags, Hurricane Harbor (whatever it's called now), the wax museum, the Texas Rangers and now, by gum the Dallas Cowboys and the Super Bowl!" Get a train to connect it all.

Actually the wax museum is in Grand Prairie ;)

Petty and small-minded.

That's for damn sure.

Actually the wax museum is in Grand Prairie ;)

My Bad. Not sure how I missed that, my mom worked in Grand Prairie.

newsig.jpg

Now I'm no professional (obviously), but I'd rather it look something like this:

182667_1692283360373_1636466644_1619329_3999805_n.jpg

It's just a concept, but ANYTHING is better than that weak ass logo system they're using now...

No doubt others on these forums have already made this point elsewhere and I missed it, but could the possibility of a lockout wiping out the Indy Super Bowl have had something to do with the NFL adopting the standardized Super Bowl logo?

Think about it: As it stands now, the Indy Super Bowl is XLVI and the one after that in New Orleans is XLVII. But if the Indy game gets cancelled along with the rest of the 2011-12 season and playoffs, the New Orleans game presumably would become XLVI instead. (Why skip a Roman numeral when it's not tied to the year anyway, especially when doing so would just be a reminder of the cancelled season?) If they were still designing a unique logo for each Super Bowl, not only would the Indy logo be wasted - and quickly become the NFL's equivalent of the 1994 World Series logo as an everlasting mark of shame - but they'd also have to scrap the New Orleans logo (to the degree that it was still in development at the time the Indy Super Bowl got cancelled) and redesign it from scratch to incorporate its new Roman numeral. But with a standardized logo, if the Indy game gets wiped out the NFL can just reuse the same XLVI logo for the New Orleans game, and the XLVII logo (originally intended for New Orleans) for the Meadowlands game, and so forth.

My prediction: Shortly after the NFL gets its new CBA, whenever that may be, their logo template will have served and outlived its "real" purpose, and so they will quietly ditch it, no doubt citing negative fan response as the pretext for doing so, keeping the rest of their "logo system" intact but going back to designing a unique logo for each Super Bowl.

CCSLC signature.png

Nope, I'm not buying that.

The 1994 WS logo an "everlasting mark of shame"? Who really cares about the 1994 Series logo?

The NFL wants a logo system because of ease of marketing, brand recognition and the like. If they cancel an entire season, an orphaned logo will be the least of their problems.

I HIGHLY doubt that if there is a lockout, the season will be canceled. If it is, I think they will push the hosts a year back.

If the Indy Super Bowl is pushed back a year then the New Orleans and Meadowlands Super Bowls would also have to be pushed back. It would make a lot more sense to just reschedule Indy's Super Bowl for 2014-15 or a later season. Super Bowls are huge productions that are booked and planned years in advance, and can't just be rescheduled on a whim. Remember, it took quite a bit of doing to get Super Bowl XXXVI postponed by just one week as part of the NFL's post-9/11 schedule-juggling, because the Superdome had been booked solid with other events in February '02.

Nope, I'm not buying that.

The 1994 WS logo an "everlasting mark of shame"? Who really cares about the 1994 Series logo?

Anyone who was, or still is, turned off from Major League Baseball by the strike that wiped out that Series, that's who. In other words, millions upon millions of sports fans. Hell, I only just came back a couple of years ago.

The '94 Series logo wasn't just orphaned, it became a laughingstock, the de facto emblem of the strike itself. The NFL being at least as image-conscious as MLB if not much more so, I'd be amazed (at their stupidity, that is) if they didn't take lessons from this in their branding decisions.

The NFL wants a logo system because of ease of marketing, brand recognition and the like. If they cancel an entire season, an orphaned logo will be the least of their problems.

If MLB and the NHL can come back from season-killing labor disputes in as good if not better shape than before, the NFL sure as hell can do so as well. That said, their #1 PR task after coming back will be to make the fans forget the lockout as quickly as possible by any means necessary, and in all likelihood that will include whitewashing all possible reminders of the work stoppage from anything the league puts out for public consumption, including their branding. Seems to me it's a lot easier for the NFL to accomplish this (1) without a well-known logo orphaned by said work stoppage still in circulation, fresh in fans' minds and immortalized on Web sites such as, well, this one, and (2) with a branding scheme that makes it easy to recycle stuff they couldn't use before.

The Roman numeral convention for naming Super Bowls is practically tailor-made for such whitewashing. MLB and the NHL could not gloss over their lost seasons because their championships, and associated branding, are pegged to calendar years. The NFL, on the other hand, could (in a beyond-worst-case scenario) shut down for multiple seasons, come back and maintain at least an illusion of unbroken continuity, simply by calling their next Super Bowl XLVI just as they would have done in 2011-12 with no lockout at all. As I mentioned above, the standardized logo scheme makes it all too convenient for the league to do this with minimal fuss, hence my suspicion that it was really set up for that very purpose.

CCSLC signature.png

I really don't think that "millions of baseball fans" could identify the 1994 WS logo. Or, having it shown to them, remember that to be the one which didn't happen.

We care about such things. Most sports fans don't.

Like most conspiracy theories, yours is a whole lot of fun, but doesn't stand up to much scrutiny.

I really don't think that "millions of baseball fans" could identify the 1994 WS logo. Or, having it shown to them, remember that to be the one which didn't happen.

Maybe they could. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe 1994 was the first year of Sega's terrific "World Series Baseball" franchise, which at that point, was the best baseball game ever. It also featured this logo through the entirety of its franchise:

World_Series_Baseball_%281994%29_Coverart.png

Which, as we know, was the logo MLB used for the Series from 1992 to 1997.

For what it's worth, I think the early 80's logos are the class of the bunch..

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?id=484

If the '94 World Series logo was a laughingstock and a de facto emblem of the strike, then why did MLB use essentially the same logo for 3-5 years after the strike? They used almost the same logo for three years after the strike, and they turned the diamond sideways for two years after that. The strike was absolutely terrible for baseball, but I think you're going a little too far.

Sure the World Series (along with the NBA Finals and Stanley Cup Finals) has a logo system where it will look pretty much the same, if there are even any changes at all, every year. It's understanable for them to have the same logo used like every 4-5 years.

But this is the SUPER BOWL, where the location of the one game is already pre-determined. It just doesn't feel right to have have a bland, unimaginative, unrelated to anything but a trophy type of logo that the NFL is using now, which I hope to God is just a joke. I feel that enough people are gonna have an issue with this that Goodell may actually reconsider, especially since this logo would be a reminder of everything that went WRONG in DFW...

Just a thought.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

I feel that enough people are gonna have an issue with this that Goodell may actually reconsider, especially since this logo would be a reminder of everything that went WRONG in DFW...

I cannot agree.

Ten years from now, I doubt that anyone will remember much about the Dallas catastrophe. Maybe some writers will still be bitching about the weather, but it won't form much of the general sports fan's memory of the event.

We'll be talking about Aaron Rodgers, Ben Rothlisberger and the Packers getting number 13, but the off-field events will diminish in importance.

Maybe if Indy is another debacle, and New York after that, but even so I'm having a hard time believing that football fans will look at the logo and see "Bad Super Bowl".

Archived