Super Bowl XLVI logo rough draft?

sportsfan0518

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why did the NFL chose to do this... did they think people would like it or something..

anybody know?

Perhaps for financial reasons? To save money and not have to hire a graphic design outfit to create a completely new identity package for each Super Bowl?

It has more to do with branding and league/team politics.

Since the mid-90s - and even earlier - there has been a concerted effort made by the NFL to establish itself as a single company/body with 32 portions, not 32 individual teams that all happen to belong to the same league. Everything from nixing individual team contracts on jerseys, to NFL Equipment, to the new NFL logo, and now to the Superbowl logo, playoff logos, and trophies. Essentially, all these changes are small steps towards creating a uniform, homogenous identity package instead of a heterogeneous mix and match of various elements that tend to draw the focus away from the NFL and more to the individual team/organization/city.

It's basically the football equivalent of the 17th Amendment.

The NCAA has already done it with the March Madness courts. It's so obnoxious; you have to almost guess which venue it's at!

OpBlHTc.png

cvovCn9.png

dbhfvu5-d7bc8ac6-699c-488b-9a0b-bbe95483

But thats not Roman for 50.

Variant Roman numerals: a project

The Roman numerals are not a static and unified system; there are various expressions for the same number (e.g. XVIII vs. XIIX for 18, or XXXXX vs. L for 50). Back in the 1950s, Arthur and Joyce Gordon did some interesting statistical analysis, indicating some potential sources of this variability (chronological, regional, and textual), but he didn?t have the sort of massive resources that the EDCS provides. So, for instance, it is often said that IIIII for 5, XXXXX for 50, and CCCCC for 500 (i.e., not using the sub-base signs V, L, and D) are particularly found in African inscriptions.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

The new SB Lombardi Trophy logo has grown on me. It may not be perfect but it works. If the NBA and NHL can pull off including their distinctive championship trophies in all of their championship series logos then why not the NFL? Its all about branding. I for one cringe when I look back at most of the "unique" Super Bowl logos of the past 44 years. Most are just terrible. I'd take the same mediocre logo every year in place of the consistent pool of "unique" duds that used to be released annually.

Its only a matter of time for MLB to follow suit and include their trophy in all WS logos.

But thats not Roman for 50.

Variant Roman numerals: a project

The Roman numerals are not a static and unified system; there are various expressions for the same number (e.g. XVIII vs. XIIX for 18, or XXXXX vs. L for 50). Back in the 1950s, Arthur and Joyce Gordon did some interesting statistical analysis, indicating some potential sources of this variability (chronological, regional, and textual), but he didn?t have the sort of massive resources that the EDCS provides. So, for instance, it is often said that IIIII for 5, XXXXX for 50, and CCCCC for 500 (i.e., not using the sub-base signs V, L, and D) are particularly found in African inscriptions.

But if the NFL was going to do that, wouldn't have SB40 been XXXX? So... no, that won't be the case.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

They could go with

SUPER BOWL

Hmm... I was thinking something along the lines of SUPER BOWL 50

And honestly, I don't see the standardized trophy lasting even that long. Somehow, I doubt they're gonna pass up the chance to do everything humanly possible to call attention to the 2014's Super Bowl being played in New York.

I think the "Fall Classic" branding on the World Series logos is going to be a part of logos for a while. The "Fall Classic" branding can be annoying but it obviously fits with the theme of the World Series.

For this years 2011 post season the MLB has taken the Fall theme way too far, the logs/colors are wretched.

They could go with

SUPER BOWL

Hmm... I was thinking something along the lines of SUPER BOWL 50

And honestly, I don't see the standardized trophy lasting even that long. Somehow, I doubt they're gonna pass up the chance to do everything humanly possible to call attention to the 2014's Super Bowl being played in New York.

I doubt it. They'll just put a familiar NYC landmark in the background, similar to how this season's Super Bowl had a regional Dallas landmark.

Fans of the Australian Football League would recall that for the 100th season of the VFL/AFL, the traditionally silver Premiership Cup was, for a one-off, made of gold. Perhaps a similar route could be taken for Super Bowl L, or even... Super Bowl C?

Super%20Bowl%20L%20idea.png?w=38c97f5d

Archived