Super Bowl XLVI logo rough draft?

sportsfan0518

38 is the worst in my book. I agree there are some bad ones, but there are also some great ones. I don't think a mix of good and bad should result in a "branded" logo used each year. I understand that the league is utilizing more recognizable branding in logos and trophies...I get marketing and branding, but at the cost of creativity...not worth it.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

38 is the worst in my book. I agree there are some bad ones, but there are also some great ones. I don't think a mix of good and bad should result in a "branded" logo used each year. I understand that the league is utilizing more recognizable branding in logos and trophies...I get marketing and branding, but at the cost of creativity...not worth it.

Disagree...XXXVIII is probably my favorite Super Bowl logo.

sig_gai.png

warriorbannerssmall.png

you guys crack me up saying these current logos are the worst, have any of you looked at the early ones?!?! Yeah Super Bowl II is a freaking masterpiece.....Super Bowl V and VII and the same dam logo, just tweaked a bit...switched "E's" and add a drop shadow.... the early ones are bad as well, but I do agree about the themed logos, as soon as I see one i remember the game immediately.

I'll give it thru XLIX for this pase and then the do something different starting with 50.

I agree. I think the NFL will realize that just an L under a huge logo would look dumb.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL used XXXXX.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

you guys crack me up saying these current logos are the worst, have any of you looked at the early ones?!?! Yeah Super Bowl II is a freaking masterpiece.....Super Bowl V and VII and the same dam logo, just tweaked a bit...switched "E's" and add a drop shadow.... the early ones are bad as well, but I do agree about the themed logos, as soon as I see one i remember the game immediately.

I don't think anyone is claiming the early SB logos are masterpieces, probably because no one expects logos from the 60s and 70s to stack up to modern logos...design tools and creativity has come a long way since then. I'm sure you can look at the evolution of logos/design in general and see similar trends.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Those of us who frequent this board (logo enthusiasts as much as we are sports enthusiasts), are not the ones that this change is intended for. While we can look at each Super Bowl logo and remember the game it was associated with, many sports fans or people in general could not. At first glance they might not even recognize it as a Super Bowl logo. The NFL is looking to "brand" the event, so that as soon as ANYONE sees this logo, even from a distance, they immediately know that it's for the Super Bowl. I can't say it's a horrible strategy.

I'm like you guys, I looked forward to seeing the new logo every year and loved the regional flair often put into them. However from a marketing perspective, this new system makes more sense in establishing brand recognition.

I don't think anyone is claiming the early SB logos are masterpieces, probably because no one expects logos from the 60s and 70s to stack up to modern logos...design tools and creativity has has come a long way since then. I'm sure you can look at the evolution of logos/design in general and see similar trends.

FYP. Design tools have improved, we can disagree as to whether that's really such a good thing (gradients, anyone?).

I'll give it thru XLIX for this pase and then the do something different starting with 50.

I agree. I think the NFL will realize that just an L under a huge logo would look dumb.

Yeah, or maybe they'll go "WrestleMania" and call it 'Super Bowl Five-X'.... :rolleyes:

6uXNWAo.png

Yeah, or maybe they'll go "WrestleMania" and call it 'Super Bowl Five-X'.... :rolleyes:

Or "Super Bowl 50th Anniversary." :rolleyes:

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I've said it before, this "system" likely won't last too long. Give it five or six years before they go back to unique Super Bowl logos.

Like this?

superbowlllogo.png

I predict that once they reach 50, they'll finally switch to just using digits instead of numerals.

Blasphemy! .........they'll use it when they reach 49 'cause "IL" looks just as awful. :D

6uXNWAo.png

I predict that once they reach 50, they'll finally switch to just using digits instead of numerals.

Blasphemy! .........they'll use it when they reach 49 'cause "IL" looks just as awful. :D

It'll be XLIX

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived