2011 Pro Football Hall of Fame Finalists

infrared41

This year's Pro Football HOF finalists. The full article from the HOF website is here.

If you want to be part of the fan voting you can do that here.

So... Who should get in? Who shouldn't? Let the debate begin.

Jerome Bettis– Running Back – 1993-95 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 1996-2005 Pittsburgh Steelers

Tim Brown – Wide Receiver/Kick Returner – 1988-2003 Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders, 2004 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Cris Carter – Wide Receiver – 1987-89 Philadelphia Eagles, 1990-2001 Minnesota Vikings, 2002 Miami Dolphins

Dermontti Dawson– Center – 1988-2000 Pittsburgh Steelers

Richard Dent – Defensive End – 1983-1993, 1995 Chicago Bears, 1994 San Francisco 49ers, 1996 Indianapolis Colts, 1997 Philadelphia Eagles

Chris Doleman– Defensive End/Linebacker – 1985-1993, 1999 Minnesota Vikings, 1994-95 Atlanta Falcons, 1996-98 San Francisco 49ers

Marshall Faulk – Running Back – 1994-98 Indianapolis Colts, 1999-2005 St. Louis Rams

Charles Haley – Defensive End/Linebacker – 1986-1991, 1999 San Francisco 49ers, 1992-96 Dallas Cowboys

*Chris Hanburger– Linebacker – 1965-1978 Washington Redskins

Cortez Kennedy– Defensive Tackle – 1990-2000 Seattle Seahawks

Curtis Martin – Running Back – 1995-97 New England Patriots, 1998-2005 New York Jets

Andre Reed – Wide Receiver – 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins

*Les Richter – Linebacker – 1954-1962 Los Angeles Rams

Willie Roaf– Tackle – 1993-2001 New Orleans Saints, 2002-05 Kansas City Chiefs

Ed Sabol– Founder/President/Chairman – 1964-1995 NFL Films

Deion Sanders – Cornerback/Kick Returner/Punt Returner – 1989-1993 Atlanta Falcons, 1994 San Francisco 49ers, 1995-99 Dallas Cowboys, 2000 Washington Redskins, 2004-05 Baltimore Ravens

Shannon Sharpe – Tight End – 1990-99, 2002-03 Denver Broncos, 2000-01 Baltimore Ravens

* Denotes a senior nominee

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are my choices for who should get in:

Deion Sanders, Jerome Bettis, Dermonti Dawson, Marshall Faulk, Curtis Martin, Willie Roaf, Andre Reed, and Ed Sabol.

I think Sanders and Sabol are no-brainers. Dawson and Roaf meet my very simple requirement for O-lineman; If their name is mentioned and I immediately know who they are then they're probably HOF worthy.

BB52Big.jpg

Wow...one nice list.

How many inductees is a HoF class limited to? I don't know, so I'll just pick five in no particular order.

Curtis Martin - look up the word "underappreciated" and this guy's picture is probably next to it. It may also appear next to the words "quiet", "underrated", and "consistent". He was never a loud, brash, look-at-me type of guy; he just buckled and laced it up, went out there, and performed. And if his HoF really needs to be questioned, one look at the all-time NFL rushing yards leaderboard should quell that. That list goes something like this: E. Smith, W. Payton, B. Sanders...C. Martin.

Deion Sanders - THE prototypical cover corner. Before there was Revis Island, there was Sanders island. Dude might couldn't tackle worth a damn, but there's no denying he could change the dynamics of a game all by himself, either by shutting down one half of the field or doing it in the kick return game.

Dermontti Dawson - the only word I think of when I think of this guy is "steady". I wish Paul Gruber was on that list, but I view Dawson in the same light I view Gruber--one of the steadiest and most consistent to have ever done it. In Dawson's case, that ain't easy to do as a center.

Cris Carter - I'll put it like this: this is the guy Larry Fitzgerald models his game after. This is the guy who tutored Randy Moss. This is the guy who redefined "body control". And when all else fails, how do you argue against a guy whose nickname is a complete sentence? "All he does is catch touchdowns".

Ed Sabol - dude started NFL Films. 'Nuff said.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Wow...one nice list.

How many inductees is a HoF class limited to? I don't know, so I'll just pick five in no particular order.

Curtis Martin - look up the word "underappreciated" and this guy's picture is probably next to it. It may also appear next to the words "quiet", "underrated", and "consistent". He was never a loud, brash, look-at-me type of guy; he just buckled and laced it up, went out there, and performed. And if his HoF really needs to be questioned, one look at the all-time NFL rushing yards leaderboard should quell that. That list goes something like this: E. Smith, W. Payton, B. Sanders...C. Martin.

Deion Sanders - THE prototypical cover corner. Before there was Revis Island, there was Sanders island. Dude might couldn't tackle worth a damn, but there's no denying he could change the dynamics of a game all by himself, either by shutting down one half of the field or doing it in the kick return game.

Dermontti Dawson - the only word I think of when I think of this guy is "steady". I wish Paul Gruber was on that list, but I view Dawson in the same light I view Gruber--one of the steadiest and most consistent to have ever done it. In Dawson's case, that ain't easy to do as a center.

Cris Carter - I'll put it like this: this is the guy Larry Fitzgerald models his game after. This is the guy who tutored Randy Moss. This is the guy who redefined "body control". And when all else fails, how do you argue against a guy whose nickname is a complete sentence? "All he does is catch touchdowns".

Ed Sabol - dude started NFL Films. 'Nuff said.

The two senior candidates are voted on separately, but like the list of 15 modern day players, they must receive 80% of the committee's votes to get in. Modern day players have a max of five per year. There is a vote that reduces the modern-era finalists list from 15 to 10. Following that, another vote is taken to reduce the list from 10 to 5 names. The five remaining candidates for Hall of Fame election are then voted on individually for membership.

Deion Sanders, Jerome Bettis, Dermonti Dawson, Marshall Faulk, Curtis Martin, Willie Roaf, Andre Reed, and Ed Sabol.

Reed over Carter AND Brown?

Career Yards:

Reed - 13198

Carter - 13899

Brown - 14934

TDs:

Reed - 87

Carter - 130

Brown - 100

Pro Bowls:

Reed - 7

Carter - 8

Brown - 9

Reed never lead the league in receptions, Carter and Brown both did (Carter 3 times).

Sorry red man, just don't see how he's a better candidate than either of his peers currently on the ballot.

Career Yards:

Reed - 13198

Carter - 13899

Brown - 14934

TDs:

Reed - 87

Carter - 130

Brown - 100

Pro Bowls:

Reed - 7

Carter - 8

Brown - 9

Reed never lead the league in receptions, Carter and Brown both did (Carter 3 times).

Sorry red man, just don't see how he's a better candidate than either of his peers currently on the ballot.

Agreed. Cris Carter's a no-brainer for me.

Same with Deion Sanders for that matter. Even aside those two, it's still a pretty strong class of finalists. Gonna be a tough decision for whoever votes for this.

Sanders, Sabol, Brown, Faulk (concedes bias), and Martin

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Shouldn't Hall of Fame require... well, fame? Curtis Martin certainly has the numbers, and I wouldn't have any issue with him being elected, but I hardly think that he's the no-brainer that some do. IMO (and it's just MO) a HOF is way more than just numbers. If it's the hall of awesome players with great numbers, then yeah, he's a no brainer.

Also, how the hell can anyone say that Dawson is a sure fire HOFer? I'm not saying that he's not (and I kind of agree with Infrared - if he's a center and you know who he is >5 years after he quits, then he was probably pretty great) but how can anyone really judge? It's kind of sort of possible to judge tackles, but interior guys are nearly impossible for fans to evaluate. Sometimes guys get built up by announcers, or even Sports Center for some reason, and we all think that they're great. Again, not doubting him specifically, just asking how anyone can be certain that an interior lineman is a HOFer.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Great Class this year and I only can pick five hmmm.

Jerome Bettis? Running Back ? 1993-95 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 1996-2005 Pittsburgh Steelers

Marshall Faulk ? Running Back ? 1994-98 Indianapolis Colts, 1999-2005 St. Louis Rams

Willie Roaf? Tackle ? 1993-2001 New Orleans Saints, 2002-05 Kansas City Chiefs

Ed Sabol? Founder/President/Chairman ? 1964-1995 NFL Films

Deion Sanders ? Cornerback/Kick Returner/Punt Returner ? 1989-1993 Atlanta Falcons, 1994 San Francisco 49ers, 1995-99 Dallas Cowboys, 2000 Washington Redskins, 2004-05 Baltimore Ravens

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Career Yards:

Reed - 13198

Carter - 13899

Brown - 14934

TDs:

Reed - 87

Carter - 130

Brown - 100

Pro Bowls:

Reed - 7

Carter - 8

Brown - 9

Stats aside, I just think that of the three Reed was the best. I saw them all play in their prime and my opinion is that Andre Reed was simply better than either Brown or Carter. I'm not saying Brown and Carter aren't HOF worthy, I'm just saying Reed is more deserving than they are.

These discussions are precisely why I started the thread. :D

BB52Big.jpg

Great Class this year and I only can pick five hmmm.

Jerome Bettis– Running Back – 1993-95 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 1996-2005 Pittsburgh Steelers

Marshall Faulk – Running Back – 1994-98 Indianapolis Colts, 1999-2005 St. Louis Rams

Willie Roaf– Tackle – 1993-2001 New Orleans Saints, 2002-05 Kansas City Chiefs

Ed Sabol– Founder/President/Chairman – 1964-1995 NFL Films

Deion Sanders – Cornerback/Kick Returner/Punt Returner – 1989-1993 Atlanta Falcons, 1994 San Francisco 49ers, 1995-99 Dallas Cowboys, 2000 Washington Redskins, 2004-05 Baltimore Ravens

Yeah, if we're only picking five then I'm in total agreement with you Francis. It will be a crime if Ed Sabol doesn't get in. The NFL owes a substantial portion of it's success and popularity to NFL Films. Imagine how great the NFL would be if their games were even has as good as NFL Films makes them.

BB52Big.jpg

Tank, your four players are all in their first year of eligibilty, FYI.

There is so much player talent that I really cannot see the Selection Committee can make a deserving player sit out.

in following the voting process, my first five cuts would be:

Kennedy

Roaf

Sabol

Bettis

Brown

Second five cuts:

Dawson

Dent

Doleman

Martin

Reed

That leaves:

Carter

Faulk

Haley

Sanders

Sharpe

Statistically, Bettis and Martin are very much the same RB, and they can still wait a year as they were not transcendent at the position. Haley is the only player with five Super Bowl rings, 100 sacks, and his trade from SF to DAL was crucial to those titles. When Sharpe retired he held all the TE records, add three Super Bowls, what more can he do?

Tank, your four players are all in their first year of eligibilty, FYI.

There is so much player talent that I really cannot see the Selection Committee can make a deserving player sit out.

in following the voting process, my first five cuts would be:

Kennedy

Roaf

Sabol

Bettis

Brown

Second five cuts:

Dawson

Dent

Doleman

Martin

Reed

That leaves:

Carter

Faulk

Haley

Sanders

Sharpe

Statistically, Bettis and Martin are very much the same RB, and they can still wait a year as they were not transcendent at the position. Haley is the only player with five Super Bowl rings, 100 sacks, and his trade from SF to DAL was crucial to those titles. When Sharpe retired he held all the TE records, add three Super Bowls, what more can he do?

I made my vote based on limiting it to five and I took a long time to get down to five. I chose Sabol first because he deserves to go in and get recongized while he is still upright.

The other four were just based on who is most deserving but there are many others I would vote for in a heartbeat.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Sabol is the wildcard this year. Tough to know how voters would see his case. Personally I think the NFL hall of fame should be about more than just playing, and putting Sabol in would be a good thing to recognise ALL the guys who work behind the scenes for NFL over and above his own personal and extraordinary work, so I would have him in, but I am not sure enough would see it that way!

Beyond that, Carter, Faulk and Sanders are open and shut cases for me. If I have one more vote I probably reward Dawson as a valuable offensive lineman. Nice to reward the lesser known guys and help the casual fan understand the workings of the game!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Ed Sabol should've been put in ten years ago. NFL Films made the NFL what is it today and that should not be understated. I honestly think if the NHL had a similar program from the 60's on through today then they would be far more popular. NFL Films packaged the game in its coolest, sharpest, most inspiring, and most artistic form. Sometimes the game of football can be somewhat boring, but NFL Films is never boring. It's done more for the NFL than most players who are already in the Hall of Fame. This isn't like the Boxing Hall of Fame putting in Sylvester Stallone. This guy actually means something to the game of football. You can't NOT put this guy in and at his age you better do it sooner than later.

I think his son Steve deserves some consideration as well.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Sanders, Sharpe, Faulk, Haley, Brown...

Still unbelievable that Jim Plunkett is not in the HOF!

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Archived