Metropolitan State College of Denver officially changes name

roxfan00

genthumb.jpg

DENVER - Metropolitan State College of Denver announced Thursday it will test three new names to see if it could benefit from rebranding itself.

The three potential new names: Metropolitan State University of Denver, University of Central Colorado and Denver State University.

The institution's president, Stephen Jordan, says it is in the midst of yearlong process of researching the current perceptions of its name and what benefits it could possibly see from a change.

"Consistent with the guidance from the trustees at the board retreat in October, we are moving forward with the [strategic name initiative]," Jordan stated in a news release.

A town hall meeting, open to the public, was scheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 9 at 7:30 a.m. in the Tivoli Turnhalle to collect feedback.

A branding firm studied the name last spring and concluded that Metro State's current name didn't reflect its "quality, size and complex offerings," the school said. Jordan says the school is concerned that the report showed some could view a name change as a shift in its mission. He says the school is committed to "affordability, accessibility and high-quality education."

The school says the next step is having Sector Brands test the new names through surveys, focus groups and one-on-one interviews with faculty, staff, students, alumni and community and business leaders.

The school says a student poll revealed most students favored a name change.

(KUSA-TV © 2011 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)

Metro State

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

As an alum, Denver State University might work...it sounds weird, but then think of Portland State, San Francisco State, et al.

University of Central Colorado is probably the best.

Metropolitan State University of Denver sounds like it has ties to the Metropolitan State University in Minneapolis/St Paul.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I'm guessing they just want to change the school name, but leave "Roadrunners" as a mascot.

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

Their best bet would be to go with Metropolitan State University of Denver. I know it doesn't sound as good as the others, but the school is commonly known throughout the state as just Metro. Keeping Metropolitan in the name will lessen the chance that people mistake them for a different/new school. But I do like Denver State University.

jNTsTyQ.png

As an alum, Denver State University might work...it sounds weird, but then think of Portland State, San Francisco State, et al.

I think Denver State only sounds weird because you're not used to calling it that. More examples include Boise State, the Cal State schools like Fresno State, San Diego State, Long Beach State, the Minnesota State schools like Mankato State and St. Cloud State.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I think Denver State only sounds weird because you're not used to calling it that. More examples include Boise State, the Cal State schools like Fresno State, San Diego State, Long Beach State, the Minnesota State schools like Mankato State and St. Cloud State.

All of the non-flagship UW schools (except Green Bay and Parkside, which weren't around back then) were also once known as Whitewater State, Eau Claire State, La Crosse State, etc.

But yea... Denver State is the best out of the bunch, but Central Colorado is good too as both actually let you know where the school is. Metropolitan State University of Denver will, at best, have people still calling it Metropolitan State and thus, bringing them back to square one, or worse, have people mistaking it for the University of Denver.

I'd say UCC is best for its clearness and simplicity, plus the "collegiate" sound of it. And UCC could make for some nice monogram/type logos.

Their best bet would be to go with Metropolitan State University of Denver. I know it doesn't sound as good as the others, but the school is commonly known throughout the state as just Metro. Keeping Metropolitan in the name will lessen the chance that people mistake them for a different/new school. But I do like Denver State University.

But if this is true, then maybe Metropolitan State University of Denver would be best. It would remind me of the (fairly) recent Elon College/Elon University morphing we had around these parts. It seemed incredibly smooth, and everyone called them "Elon" before and after the switch.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Everyone is these parts refers to them as "METRO" so they should go the metro state university route but UCC has a nice ring to it.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Personally, I prefer Denver State University as it comes up better conversationally. Plus, it's easier to market to out of state students and parents because of the Denver location is in the name. Out of state students = more tuition.

Case in point-

Person X: Where do you go to school?

You: University of Central Colorado.

Person X: Where is that?

My undergraduate alma mater went though this a few years ago - nobody outside of Pittsburgh knows what or where the hell "Indiana University of Pennsylvania" is, or that it's a rather large (>16,000) school. They toyed with going with "Western Pennsylvania University", which would have been great (except that instead of not knowing where I went, everyone around here would think that I went to school with a bunch of toothless, redneck racists) (oh wait... I did.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

My undergraduate alma mater went though this a few years ago - nobody outside of Pittsburgh knows what or where the hell "Indiana University of Pennsylvania" is, or that it's a rather large (>16,000) school. They toyed with going with "Western Pennsylvania University", which would have been great (except that instead of not knowing where I went, everyone around here would think that I went to school with a bunch of toothless, redneck racists) (oh wait... I did.)

Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (or IUPUI, or even "Ooey-Pooey") was supposed to have done this as well, but abandoned the idea for some reason.

The University of Indianapolis would have been perfect if Indiana Central hadn't beaten them to it.

Archived