Bills confirm new uniform for 2011

Nick in England

I'm one of the most "modern" guys on here and I can't stand the Cardinals' current uniforms. They're an overpiped, mismatched mess that could theoretically be used by any team, just like the Patriots' uniforms. The black uniforms are especially horrendous.

The Cardinals uniforms are actually one of the few templates in the league that have more meaning to that team than they would with any other. The Arizona flag pattern on the sleeves is a perfect example of the thoughtful design you were asking for in your previous post. Could they turn the volume down a notch? Sure. The whole package isn't perfect. But it is decent and its VERY thoughtful and team specific.

As I stated earlier, the White pattern is considered "wing detail"; it doesn't have anything to do with the Arizona flag.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that I am fully on-board with the colored facemasks distracting hockey players idea, but there is no comparison to football. Footballs aren't thrown nearly as fast as hockey pucks are hit. Also, instead of running a route and knowing the ball is going to you, the hockey puck could be anywhere at any time, meaning the players would have to follow it.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Not that I am fully on-board with the colored facemasks distracting hockey players idea, but there is no comparison to football. Footballs aren't thrown nearly as fast as hockey pucks are hit. Also, instead of running a route and knowing the ball is going to you, the hockey puck could be anywhere at any time, meaning the players would have to follow it.

A hockey helmet also has a lot more bars than a football helmet does. A facemask never goes up as far as the player's eye level. The only exception is the vertical bar straight up the middle but that 1) isn't really that common anymore and 2) it's so close to your eyes that you don't even notice it while playing.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

As a hockey player, I think the cage is typically colored silver/black because it gives the best visibility. I wouldn't want a bright red or blue etc. color 3" from my eyes distracting me from the puck.

Pretty sure the same thing would apply in football, no?

Well, the best passing offense in the history of the NFL was the 2007 Patriots, who didn't exactly have a neutral-colored facemask...

5wJE2.jpg

A hockey cage isn't as open as a receivers mask. So all the bars are not in their field of vision

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Just got this email from the Bills official site: Friday June 24 it is.

Uniform-Launch-Event-Special.jpg

Has Bank Gothic become Buffalo's new go-to font or something? First the Sabres, now the Bills.

When are these being unveiled?

6/24 (see official notice above)

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Well, the best passing offense in the history of the NFL was the 2007 Patriots, who didn't exactly have a neutral-colored facemask...

5wJE2.jpg

The first year of the their uniform change was in 1993, with a gray mask ... the second year into it they darkened the blue and went to the red mask.

I myself liked the initial change, it would have given them an identity not very similar to any other team.

new+england.jpg

Does anyone know if the Pats' first two incarnations of the Flying Elvis jerseys used the old Seahawks' font? What other team used that? The only team I can think of that has those ones is the Cubs, and I know the Pats didn't have rounded numbers.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I'm one of the most "modern" guys on here and I can't stand the Cardinals' current uniforms. They're an overpiped, mismatched mess that could theoretically be used by any team, just like the Patriots' uniforms. The black uniforms are especially horrendous.

The Cardinals uniforms are actually one of the few templates in the league that have more meaning to that team than they would with any other. The Arizona flag pattern on the sleeves is a perfect example of the thoughtful design you were asking for in your previous post. Could they turn the volume down a notch? Sure. The whole package isn't perfect. But it is decent and its VERY thoughtful and team specific.

As I stated earlier, the White pattern is considered "wing detail"; it doesn't have anything to do with the Arizona flag.

Is it? Not saying you're wrong, in fact I trust you're probably right, as you have contacts who could confirm this sort of thing. It's just that when the current set was first unveiled the pattern struck me as being very reminiscent of the Arizona state flag.

That being said, flag or wings, I don't think the idea's transferred well to the on-field look. Sure, the pattern comes across clearly on replicas and authentics on the racks/fans, but it's lost to me on most players wearing the near-sleeveless jersey cuts. So even if the design was meant to be team specific it still comes across to me as a generic over-piped and over-panelled template that could be worn by any other team.

I like the uniforms/ideas Lights Out posted (if the new logo was used in place of the old), but I think a happy medium between gimmickry and traditionalism would be perfect for this team. This is the oldest team in the NFL, it just looks strange to see them wear super modern uniforms and black alternate jerseys. They do play in a very modern stadium, however, and the market itself has a sense of modernity, detaching the team somewhat from their Midwestern traditionalist roots.

The ideal, I think, would be a fairly traditional uniform template with a twist of southwestern flare. Solid colour jerseys, numbers outlined in black, with a southwestern design used along the collars, sleeve cuffs, and used as the pants stripes. It's a fairly traditional uniform design reflecting the team's status as one of the NFL's charter members, but with a twist of southwestern gimmickry to reflect their current home.

The ideal, I think, would be a fairly traditional uniform template with a twist of southwestern flare. Solid colour jerseys, numbers outlined in black, with a southwestern design used along the collars, sleeve cuffs, and used as the pants stripes. It's a fairly traditional uniform design reflecting the team's status as one of the NFL's charter members, but with a twist of southwestern gimmickry to reflect their current home.

Sounds good to me.

I had inquired so many times as to what the name of the FONT is that is used for the BILLS word-mark script logo and nobody has ever been able to tell me.

If anyone can, it's gotta be someone from this board. Anyone know??

bills_wordmark.gif

Is it? Not saying you're wrong, in fact I trust you're probably right, as you have contacts who could confirm this sort of thing. It's just that when the current set was first unveiled the pattern struck me as being very reminiscent of the Arizona state flag.

The problem is that the non-authentic jerseys tend to have a more straight edge to the White area - giving it the appearance of being reminiscent of the Arizona flag.

Here's an "on-field" jersey graphic that shows the true cut of the jersey:

ArizonaCardinals_JER1_2008-9999_SOL_SRGB.png

As I mentioned, they called that area "wing detail" in the press conference/uniform unveiling.

I had inquired so many times as to what the name of the FONT is that is used for the BILLS word-mark script logo and nobody has ever been able to tell me.

bills_wordmark.gif

I believe this is also being updated in the new identity.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

bills_wordmark.gif

I believe this is also being updated in the new identity.

I'm calling it.

buffbillswodmarkjoke.png

:P

The problem is that the non-authentic jerseys tend to have a more straight edge to the White area - giving it the appearance of being reminiscent of the Arizona flag.

As I mentioned, they called that area "wing detail" in the press conference/uniform unveiling.

I may be entirely wrong, but is that jersey cut literally the exact same as the Chargers? I can see where the panels are nearly the same shape as the Chargers white shoulder inserts where the bolts go. Just an observation, might be incorrect.

I may be entirely wrong, but is that jersey cut literally the exact same as the Chargers? I can see where the panels are nearly the same shape as the Chargers white shoulder inserts where the bolts go. Just an observation, might be incorrect.

Not quite:

SanDiegoChargers_JER1a_2008-9999_SOL_SRGB.png

[

[SanDiegoChargers_JER1a_2008-9999_SOL_SRGB.png

I think this graphic illustrates why the Chargers went with the shoulder bolt that so many people on this board think is "backward" or facing the wrong way. The curve is supposed to take it under the numbers... the vertical opposite of the way the helmet bolt curves. Once the jersey is pulled over the pads, it doesn't really have much of a curve. But you can see the original intent.

Archived