Bills confirm new uniform for 2011

Nick in England

[

[SanDiegoChargers_JER1a_2008-9999_SOL_SRGB.png

I think this graphic illustrates why the Chargers went with the shoulder bolt that so many people on this board think is "backward" or facing the wrong way. The curve is supposed to take it under the numbers... the vertical opposite of the way the helmet bolt curves. Once the jersey is pulled over the pads, it doesn't really have much of a curve. But you can see the original intent.

I can appreciate the intent but from the side it looks like garbage since it's in direct conflict with the curve/direction helmet bolt...in addition the bolts on the on field jerseys look almost like they are in a straight line...the 90's navy with white bolts were perfection compared to their hodge podge mess that they have now

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had inquired so many times as to what the name of the FONT is that is used for the BILLS word-mark script logo and nobody has ever been able to tell me.

If anyone can, it's gotta be someone from this board. Anyone know??

bills_wordmark.gif

I believe this is also being updated in the new identity.

I don't think so Andrew ... below is a replica of the new turf that's being installed by Erie County for the 2011 season.

It's the same script-logo/word-mark of the same font that we've had and kept during every uniform change. It's also the same word-mark font below the NFL shield on the new jerseys.

050811biz.jpg

I had inquired so many times as to what the name of the FONT is that is used for the BILLS word-mark script logo and nobody has ever been able to tell me.

If anyone can, it's gotta be someone from this board. Anyone know??

bills_wordmark.gif

I believe this is also being updated in the new identity.

I don't think so Andrew ... below is a replica of the new turf that's being installed by Erie County for the 2011 season.

It's the same script-logo/word-mark of the same font that we've had and kept during every uniform change. It's also the same word-mark font below the NFL shield on the new jerseys.

050811biz.jpg

Well, I hope they catch that before the install, or somebody's probably going to get fired. :grin:

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

If they get rid of the blue "yolk" on the white jerseys, it will be a definite upgrade.

And the "Bills" wordmark better stay the same. I didn't like the change of the Arizona Cardinals wordmark.

If they get rid of the blue "yolk" on the white jerseys, it will be a definite upgrade.

And the "Bills" wordmark better stay the same. I didn't like the change of the Arizona Cardinals wordmark.

'Yoke' is the word you're looking for. The shoulder panel of an athletic jersey. 'Yolk' is the slimy yellow center of an egg.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

They will. We've already seen what they look like.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Interesting pic considering the facemask debate. Most facemask colors are applied by coloring the rubberized coating that covers the metal mask. This pic of Ken Anderson shows what appears to be a painted mask. Apparently the old-school 2-bar mask he's wearing was plastic or bare metal and thus had to be painted.

ken-anderson-t1.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Interesting that they were doing so that late as 1980.

The Packers seem to have experimented with painted facemasks in 1959 and/or 1960.

0925_large.jpg

If the Packers had made it work, and this was the Packers' glory days helmet, the gray facemask might not have the old-school, iron-man feel, and we wouldn't see teams bringing it back.

bart_starr_1956_1960_temp_2.jpg

I remember that chipped facemask that Hall of Famer* Ken Anderson wore, and it drove me crazy at the time. And Anderson wasn't the only Bengal from that era to sport the painted/chipped two-bar mask. Here's a more-recent photo of Hall of Famer* Ken Riley, presumably with his game-used helmet. Is it possible that the two-bar mask was no longer manufactured when the Bengals changed to black masks in 1980 (stripes came in '81)?

* The two Kens are not actually in the HOF, but should be. Please forgive the tangent. :)

Ken-Riley-FAMU-Great.jpg

I remember that chipped facemask that Hall of Famer Ken Anderson* wore, and it drove me crazy at the time. And Anderson wasn't the only Bengal from that era to sport the painted/chipped two-bar mask. Here's a more-recent photo of Hall of Famer* Ken Riley, presumably with his game-used helmet. Is it possible that the two-bar mask was no longer manufactured when the Bengals changed to black masks in 1980 (stripes came in '81)?

Ken-Riley-FAMU-Great.jpg

Charlie Joiner looked to have a yellow facemask that was not painted. However, he was very old-school and didn't like changing his helmet - he reportedly used the same one he received back in 1976 for many, many years. Maybe his facemask was a holdover and by the time 1980 rolled around they weren't making colored two-bar QB facemasks anymore?

display_image.jpg

I remember that chipped facemask that Hall of Famer Ken Anderson* wore, and it drove me crazy at the time. And Anderson wasn't the only Bengal from that era to sport the painted/chipped two-bar mask. Here's a more-recent photo of Hall of Famer* Ken Riley, presumably with his game-used helmet. Is it possible that the two-bar mask was no longer manufactured when the Bengals changed to black masks in 1980 (stripes came in '81)?

Ken-Riley-FAMU-Great.jpg

Charlie Joiner looked to have a yellow facemask that was not painted. However, he was very old-school and didn't like changing his helmet - he reportedly used the same one he received back in 1976 for many, many years. Maybe his facemask was a holdover and by the time 1980 rolled around they weren't making colored two-bar QB facemasks anymore?

display_image.jpg

That's a weird pants stripe in that pic. Is it thick blue with a white bolt? I thought I remembered that uniform having gold pants with a white bolt, outlined in blue, no stripe. Am I remembering it wrong, or was there more than one set of pants?

Ken-Riley-FAMU-Great.jpg

display_image.jpg

That's a weird pants stripe in that pic. Is it thick blue with a white bolt? I thought I remembered that uniform having gold pants with a white bolt, outlined in blue, no stripe. Am I remembering it wrong, or was there more than one set of pants?

In 1984, after Alex Spanos bought the team, he systematically went about destroying the awesome Air Coryell uniforms that were established in 1978 (the first year the white bolt appeared on the pants, before that it was a three-layered stripe, a white stripe bordered by two blue ones).

1974 - 1977 - three-tiered stripe on the pants:

lydell-mitchell-san-diego-chargers-signed-8x10-photo_b126fff42817ea0a29669fce8a9147f7.jpg

1978 - 1983 - the white lightning bolt - these were my favorite from that era:

JJ.jpg

1984: - the weird blue field with a white bolt as depicted in the Charlie Joiner picture above and the Kellen Winslow one below:

fb_AAHV129_8x10~Kellen-Winslow-Posters.jpg

In 1985 they switched to white pants, keeping the jersey with the yellow numbers. The blue became a darker navy shade and the bolt on the side of the pants were switched to match the color design of the bolt on the helmet:

19908_282wh.jpg

GTP_Gary_Anderson.jpg

In 1986, they switched the jerseys numbers to white - this version lasted through the 1987 season:

san-diego-chargers-gary-anderson-205-topps-nfl-1988-american-football-card-24166-p.jpg

In 1985 they switched to white pants, keeping the jersey with the yellow numbers. The blue became a darker navy shade and the bolt on the side of the pants were switched to match the color design of the bolt on the helmet:

Good write-up...I should point out however, that in 1985 the Royal Blue was darkened a bit - and was still designated as "Royal Blue", and then was modified again in 1988 to more of a true Navy:

SanDiegoChargers_FRC_1984_SOL_SRGB.png

SanDiegoChargers_FRC_1987_SOL_SRGB.png

SanDiegoChargers_FRC_1994_SOL_SRGB.png

Archived