Football Giants 2011 throwback?

nybatt

Anybody notice the Giants are wearing their away pants at home tonight against da Bears?

They've been known to do that before.

Last year they started and said they would wear these road pants going forward whenever they have to wear blue on the road. However, they are at home tonight.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody notice the Giants are wearing their away pants at home tonight against da Bears?

Last year they started and said they would wear these road pants going forward whenever they have to wear blue on the road. However, they are at home tonight.

Right .... last week they were in their blue jerseys at Carolina and wore the same away pants as tonight.

They've gotta be the only team in the NFL that has 2 sets of pants in the same color, yet with different striping .... very very odd.

Right .... last week they were in their blue jerseys at Carolina and wore the same away pants as tonight.

They've gotta be the only team in the NFL that has 2 sets of pants in the same color, yet with different striping .... very very odd.

The Broncos do as well.

As for tonight, some of the pants definitely look like they have white striping. The ones that look white also look wider than the ones that look normal, so I'm assuming it's just some new stretchy panel material being tried out and whatever it's made out of doesn't work well with gray, or has a funny reflection under the stadium lights.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Broncos have two sets of white pants, as do the Falcons.

Whoops ... I totally forgot about the Broncos .... Atlanta I hadn't noticed (great throwbacks tho')

da Bears .... they IMO have one of the best uniforms in the NFL ... top 5 ... maybe even top 3

The Broncos do as well.

As for tonight, some of the pants definitely look like they have white striping. The ones that look white also look wider than the ones that look normal, so I'm assuming it's just some new stretchy panel material being tried out and whatever it's made out of doesn't work well with gray, or has a funny reflection under the stadium lights.

Apparently, Jerry Jones only thinks the Cowboys have just one pair of pants, since he reportedly can't tell the blues or the silvers apart.

Apparently, Jerry Jones only thinks the Cowboys have just one pair of pants, since he reportedly can't tell the blues or the silvers apart.

I knew this one was coming! :D But seriously, why doesn't the NFL do something about this considering how much they want to regulate the use of throwbacks and not allow secondary helmets unless it's part of a throwback set? Don't they think that these multiple options some teams have (Titans) can do just as much 'identity' damage as they feel throwbacks would do?

And another thing that I saw tonight that kinda' goes to question with the Giants, is the red outline of the 'NY' in the endzone and how nice it looks against the blue, yet it is not replicated to compliment their uniform!

I'd rather see it the other way. The home pants are so much better, in part because they mimic the helmet and in part because five stripes are way too fussy.

I was never a proponent of having every single stripe on a uniform match eachother. It's bad design.

Also, it's three stripes, seperated. Never got counting the spaces between stripes as stripes themselves.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I'd rather see it the other way. The home pants are so much better, in part because they mimic the helmet and in part because five stripes are way too fussy.

I was never a proponent of having every single stripe on a uniform match eachother. It's bad design.

Also, it's three stripes, seperated. Never got counting the spaces between stripes as stripes themselves.

Semantics - the effect is five stripes, regardless of the fact that two of them match the background color. I always considered the green stripes on the Packers' sleeves and collars to be just that, stripes.

I agree on all counts . . .

and if they are forced to wear their home jerseys like when they played at Carolina or when in Dallas I think they should wear the home pants too ... Their 5-stripe thing (or 3 stripes separated) seems to work okay with the white jersey, but not with the blue one.

Let me start by saying that I am NOT being a knucklehead about this, or bragging in any way.... but, I have an interesting story about the Football Giants and their "road" pants being worn with blue jerseys. Please allow me to add it to this thread.

This is all fact and can be corroborated by Joe Skiba.

The "road" pants with the blue jerseys are actually my idea! I only bring this up because I think its a pretty special event when a uni-fan and big Giants fan actually had an idea for a uniform tweak that became reality.

During the 2008 season my father, brother, and I were invited by the Giants to spend pre-game on the field with the team. My dad had been featured in a NY Times article in August 2008 on his upcoming 70th season attending games. (Article ran on 8/31/08). After the pre-game, while we were making our way through the bowels of Giants stadium, I ran into Joe and Eddie Skiba (the equip. managers for the Giants). I grew up with the Skibas and played Rec. football with both of them in Paramus, N.J. In my conversation with Joe we got into uniforms in general and of course specifically the Giants unis. I proposed the idea to Joe that it would be 'unique' when the Giants were forced to wear blue on the road that they would wear their 'road' pants. Historically in the late 1950's the Giants wore the thin-striped 'road' pants both at home and on the road with blue and white/red jerseys, so historically there was a precedent. Joe loved the idea and said he would consider it.

The rest of the 2008 season passed with the Giants playing at Dallas, wearing blue, but with the 'home' striped pants. I figured my idea went by the boards. Then, in 2009, I emailed Joe and asked about making the switch with the pants for the '09 season. He told me that starting with the 2009 season the Giants would indeed be wearing the 'road' pants with blue jerseys on the road. My idea actually became a reality!! You can imagine my thrill when the Giants went to Dallas that season and won in "MY" pants!!

I am sharing this story now because the discussion came up in this thread which, incidentally, I started a while ago! I think it is pretty special when the idea of a fan actually comes to fruition with the team he lives and dies with. I suppose I want this little fact to be known and 'on the record' becuase I know years down the line people (probably my future kids) will say I made the whole thing up.

Whether you 'like' the look of the road pants or hate it I hope you will agree that this is a pretty unique story!

Dave Battafarano

Wilmington, Del.

I agree that the home pants are probably a better visual fit for the uniform, but sometimes a uniform just works when everything is wildly different. That's the reason the Giants' road set works for me. It's the perfect mishmash of stuff. Solid red stripe on the solid blue helmet. Solid red Northwestern stripes on the jersey with solid red numbers. Solid red pant stripe and two solid blue stripes. Solid red socks. I suppose it works so well because everything is a solid color. No fussy outlines to ruin the scale relationships of the stripes.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The Giants' road uniform drives me up a number of walls. They slew the dragon in that. So much for the Big Blue thing.

I can't get behind any football uniform where each of the four major elements is a different color, blue/white/grey/red in this case. I think the Bucs occasionally manage this when they go pewter/red/white/black. It's hard to get this wrong. You have to try.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Giants' road uniform drives me up a number of walls. They slew the dragon in that. So much for the Big Blue thing.

I can't get behind any football uniform where each of the four major elements is a different color, blue/white/grey/red in this case. I think the Bucs occasionally manage this when they go pewter/red/white/black. It's hard to get this wrong. You have to try.

But regardless of how many rules it breaks, it looks phenomenal. Sure, you could clean it up so it plays by 'the rules' and it would look great as well, but it's so unique as is.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived