Bye Bye Kings, Hello Royals

The Golden One

As far as a color scheme for the Anaheim Royals...how about orange and Vegas gold with navy accent? [447]

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they kept the same logo and color scheme with the exception to the name, especially now that the LA Kings are dropping purple.

I mean what's more "Royal" looking than "Royal Purple"?

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as a color scheme for the Anaheim Royals...how about orange and Vegas gold with navy accent? [447]

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they kept the same logo and color scheme with the exception to the name, especially now that the LA Kings are dropping purple.

Except for the fact that the Lakers already have a monopoly in the L.A. area with Royal Purple (it hasn't officially been called "Forum Blue" since 1981).

Except for the fact that the Lakers already have a monopoly in the L.A. area with Royal Purple (it hasn't officially been called "Forum Blue" since 1981).

So? If they're going to have any long term chance of survival here, they probably need to trick Lakers fans into thinking the Royals are the Lakers.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's to the city. For example, Mark Cuban voted against the Sonics' move to Oklahoma City because this took away Oklahoma City as a tertiary market of sorts for the Mavericks. Also, he's Mark Cuban, grand sh^t disturber.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

There's already one team identifying as all of California so as not to alienate a patchwork of municipalities. We don't need two.

Wait a minute...

The LA Kings are getting new logo & uniform next season?

Wait a minute...

KingsPrototypes2010.jpg

Wait a minute...

KingsPrototypes2010.jpg

Wow these look nice!

As for the NBA Kings I thought it'll be no problem since the NHL Kings color is dark purple and the NBA Kings is light purple.

That's the thing, we've always done that. WIth the exception of some good draft picks (a la Magic, Worthy, Kobe, West), we've always been able to reload on the fly. How else could we have missed the playoffs only 5 times?

You know who else always did that? The Celtics... until they didn't. Then they spent over a decade drafting busts and either losing in the first round or not making the playoffs at all.

There's a real difference between the franchises though. Even besides the bad luck the Celtics had with pingpong balls and deaths.

The Lakers have rebuilt on the fly when superstars force their way to big-market LA via lopsided trade or free agency (Kareem, Shaq, I believe Wilt). Even Kobe forced his way to LA with holdout threats (although on paper Divac for a low lotto pick is a reasonable trade.)

They've also rebuilt on the fly by utterly incomprehensible trades, like a 5 ppg bench player in Don Ford for an unprotected Cleveland pick that became James Worthy. or more tragically, a major star in Gasol for cap space, late draft picks, bad prospects, and a recent late 2nd pick in Marc Gasol who turned out to be a decent player. (Marc's turning out to be decent hardly justifies anything...that's like getting raped and impregnated but having the child turn out to be a nice kid.)

We can blame one of the trades on Ted Stepien but the Gasol gift is pretty obviously collusion between the teams or at least an intentional favor to the Lakers because of the Jerry West connection. If it had really been about money, Memphis would have gotten rid of Brian Cardinal somehow; if it had anything to do with talent, Memphis would have gotten Farmar instead of Crittenton. And with one trade, Memphis created a dynasty (and stole one from Boston.)

Other than getting role players like Fisher/Horry, I can only think of 2 gutsy or clever major moves in Lakers history: drafting Bynum and trading Norm Nixon for Byron Scott.

Meanwhile, every Celtic "steal" actually is a clever or gutsy move. Trading Al Jefferson for Garnett. Trading the #1 overall pick for the #3 pick + Parish. (People point to that as a lopsided deal, but it wasn't at the time. Would have been a lot like trading Tim Duncan for Billups and Antoine Walker on draft day 2007.) Same thing with Ed MacCauley (hall of famer) and the rights to Cliff Hagan for an unproven Bill Russell. Those moves are nothing like trading flotsam and jetsasm for Chamberlain or Abdul-Jabbar near or in their primes.

The only obviously unfair trade I can recall the Celtics doing is Rick Robey for DJ. It's very weird that many people don't get the concept that fair trades, smart trades, and trades that work out well are all completely different things. The Gasol trade worked out mildly badly for Memphis; it was moderately stupid; but it was monstrously unfair - primarly to the integrity of the league, and particularly to Boston who was poised unopposed at the top of the league after 25 lean years.

Bottom line is Auerbach had the Midas touch with clever moves, but that's hard to keep that up forever. But LA will always have Hollywood and, in my opinion, the league's favoritism, and I don't see why they'll ever stop getting FA's, donation-type trades, and whistles like manna from heaven.

This is the part of the program where I point out that Minnesota hasn't even crossed the 25 win threshold in a season since the Garnett trade. Granted there is more to their woes than discarding their Superstar for every last one of Boston's toxic contracts, but that didn't help them.

Look, if you're playing ethics in trading here, the Lakers exploiting the Grizzlies chronic lack of finances is no better or worse than the Celtics exploiting Kevin McHale's learning disability.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Meanwhile, every Celtic "steal" actually is a clever or gutsy move.

Garnett was clever insofar as it's clever to fleece a dumbass.

I don't see a difference at all between the Lakers' "gift" of Gasol and the Celtics' "gutsy move" in getting Garnett for nothing. They were both monstrously imbalanced, and the league probably would have stopped either one if it were proposed by any other franchise besides the Lakers and Celtics.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

And another discussion of logos and uniforms gets ruined by children arguing about sports. Get lives, kids.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived