Bye Bye Kings, Hello Royals

The Golden One

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Celtics aren't moving to Anaheim. The Kings are. The idea that a crappier team in a smaller city will somehow make the Clippers less relevant is absurd.

Too true... nothing can make the Clippers any less relevant than they already are...

The Celtics aren't moving to Anaheim. The Kings are. The idea that a crappier team in a smaller city will somehow make the Clippers less relevant is absurd.

Too true... nothing can make the Clippers any less relevant than they already are...

No but the Clippers can make the Kings even less relevant in a place where they're not even relevant at all... my head hurts.

Yeah. The Kings moving to Anaheim hurts the Kings more than any other team.

Guess we'll see. You could be right, or you could be wrong. Obviously the Maloofs think you're wrong and I bet they have more people working on this than any of us do...

Obviously the Maloofs are flat broke and think "any port in a storm" (especially ports that offer them reasonable leases and/or cash incentives at a slightly newer arena).

Fixed.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Another team that the Kings moving to Anaheim hurts is, of all teams, the Warriors. While yes, this means CSN would be able to carry Warriors games throughout northern California without blackout, it also sets a bad precedent when there's noise made about the Hornets coming to San Jose, something the Warriors' new ownership can't like after paying waaaaay too much for the right to own the Golden State Warriors. So add that group to Buss, Sterling, and Reinsdorf as the likely "no" votes for a Kings move. I wonder if they can gather up 11 more votes.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

"Orange County Surf" is like lingerie arena softball bad.

OK so not Surf but my point was why not change to a name that actually has something to do with the area? I know this would be revolutionary since teams don't really do this anymore but it would be refreshing to have a team nickname actually mean something to the fan base and region.

Another team that the Kings moving to Anaheim hurts is, of all teams, the Warriors. While yes, this means CSN would be able to carry Warriors games throughout northern California without blackout, it also sets a bad precedent when there's noise made about the Hornets coming to San Jose, something the Warriors' new ownership can't like after paying waaaaay too much for the right to own the Golden State Warriors. So add that group to Buss, Sterling, and Reinsdorf as the likely "no" votes for a Kings move. I wonder if they can gather up 11 more votes.

Knicks, Nets and Bulls will also probably vote 'no' because then a new team in Newark and a second team in Chicago becomes a real possibility and they don't want other teams in their markets.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

The Sacramento Kings were named the Royals in 1945. The Kansas City Royals were founded in 1969. The Kings had the name first.

I don't think that would hold up in the legal system. The Royals abandoned the name and logo when moving to Kansas City / Omaha in 1972.

You may wanna refer to the 'USC' lawsuit .... South Carolina vs USC regarding the use of the 'SC' logo, which the Trojans won in court.

The reasoning was that the Gamecocks abandoned the use of the 'SC' logo too many years prior in favor 'a goofy little chicken' logo :grin:

No need for concern tho' .... the Sac Kings definitely appear to be headed to Anaheim, and it makes total sense for them to go back to their original name of Royals.

Rumor has it the Washington Wizards will be going back to 'Bullets' ... Anyone else heard that one ?

"Orange County Surf" is like lingerie arena softball bad.

OK so not Surf but my point was why not change to a name that actually has something to do with the area? I know this would be revolutionary since teams don't really do this anymore but it would be refreshing to have a team nickname actually mean something to the fan base and region.

I'm not quite sure you can come up with a nickname that inspires the kind of mass plebeian loyalty you appear to be shooting for since I think the denizens of Orange County are completely incapable of displaying mass plebeian loyalty. That said, are you on crack? Most new team nicknames are designed through mass focus groups to create something that refers to the area. See also Texans, Wild, Blue Jackets, Thrashers, etc.

The Sacramento Kings were named the Royals in 1945. The Kansas City Royals were founded in 1969. The Kings had the name first.

I don't think that would hold up in the legal system. The Royals abandoned the name and logo when moving to Kansas City / Omaha in 1972.

You may wanna refer to the 'USC' lawsuit .... South Carolina vs USC regarding the use of the 'SC' logo, which the Trojans won in court.

The reasoning was that the Gamecocks abandoned the use of the 'SC' logo too many years prior in favor 'a goofy little chicken' logo :grin:

No need for concern tho' .... the Sac Kings definitely appear to be headed to Anaheim, and it makes total sense for them to go back to their original name of Royals.

Rumor has it the Washington Wizards will be going back to 'Bullets' ... Anyone else heard that one ?

USCw vs USCe is irrelevant here since both marks in that case refer to the same sport or activity IIRC. The Kansas City Royals mark and logos is only protected with regards to baseball and baseball related-activities.

/who in the blue blazes uses Verdana?

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Guess we'll see. You could be right, or you could be wrong. Obviously the Maloofs think you're wrong and I bet they have more people working on this than any of us do...

This is an act of financial desperation. They are going for a quick fix so they have advisers advising them how to get a deal done quickly for the most money and anaheim makes the most sense at the moment...is it the best decsion for the franchise?..probably not.

The problem arises from the fact that the family once had 2 business that had positive cash flow and equity to live off of...in a matter of a few years both operations have gone south and cash is nearly impossible to come by which brought about this hasty decision.

The Clippers actually are extremely relevant... just for mostly the wrong reasons. The Kings couldn't be more irrelevant if they tried.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

This is an act of financial desperation. They are going for a quick fix so they have advisers advising them how to get a deal done quickly for the most money and anaheim makes the most sense at the moment...is it the best decsion for the franchise?..probably not.

The problem arises from the fact that the family once had 2 business that had positive cash flow and equity to live off of...in a matter of a few years both operations have gone south and cash is nearly impossible to come by which brought about this hasty decision.

Anaheim could be a stopgap move until the NBA finally gets ready to accept having a team in Vegas.

I disagree on a small note that the Kings are that irrelevant. Maybe it's just me personally, but they're much less irrelevant than say, some team like the Bobcats. I still remember that 01-02 Kings team (one of the best to never win a title, IMHO) and for that reason alone, the Kings to me have a higher relevancy than a few others to me.

Now when they become the (potentially) Royals, however, that could change. As it is right now, though, I don't consider the Kings to be irrelevant at all.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Anaheim could be a stopgap move until the NBA finally gets ready to accept having a team in Vegas.

Forget the NBA accepting a team in Vegas. Vegas still needs to dig out of the great recession.

Today, we are all otaku.

Forget the NBA accepting a team in Vegas. Vegas still needs to dig out of the great recession.

Even when The Vegas economy rebounds, the fact that it got so bad, was so fragile, will tarnish their prospects for landing a pro team.

Suddenly, "developing markets" is a huge warning sign when considering relocation/expansion options.

Archived