Bye Bye Kings, Hello Royals

The Golden One

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never mind that. Which team has by far the brighter future? Ask pretty much any analyst right now and they'll tell you it's the Clippers. Why bother rooting for the Kings when there's an established successful franchise and a more-possible playoff contender nearby?

For the same reason there are people like me who root for the Mets or Jets?

(And the Clippers are no Yankees or Football Giants).

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

If nothing else Blake Griffin keeps them on the highlight reel, and thus in the minds of fans.

I can't tell you the last time I saw a Kings highlight. 2003 maybe?

The time Tyreke Evans led a 35-or-so-point comeback in the third quarter against the Bulls last year. I think he went on to win ROTY in large part because of that (I was pulling for Jennings). Other than that, it's been pretty bleak for them.

Good catch on Chicago voting against because of the looming threat of that second Chicago team (almost the Grizzlies at one time). I just figured Reinsdorf would back Sterling as a friend. I wonder if Dolan and Prokhorov would vote against the precedent in case a team tries to reclaim Newark or the Meadowlands. When you start thinking about the ramifications of the NBA trying to beat the depression by dropping small markets to double and triple up on big ones, you can almost start to see this get nipped.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Good catch on Chicago voting against because of the looming threat of that second Chicago team (almost the Grizzlies at one time).

baaaaaaaahahahaha Dixmoor

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

/who in the blue blazes uses Verdana?

/who in blue blazes other than yourself would even be so pedantic by making an issue about someone using Verdana? :wacko:

Who in the blazes uses the word pedantic?

People who wouldn't expect a big deal made out of it being used; and therefore, people who know what it means and are familiar with it.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

If nothing else Blake Griffin keeps them on the highlight reel, and thus in the minds of fans.

I hardly follow the Western Conference, let alone the Kings, but even in this :censored:ty season of theirs they've made the highlight reel a few times. They won a game this season on a buzzer beater by Tyreke Evans from beyond halfcourt off an inbounds pass that they had to throw in with 1.5 seconds left, immediately after they just surrendered the lead. If they're not the Kings then that probably goes down as the most dramatic game-winner this season.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I hardly follow the Western Conference, let alone the Kings, but even in this :censored:ty season of theirs they've made the highlight reel a few times. They won a game this season on a buzzer beater by Tyreke Evans from beyond halfcourt off an inbounds pass that they had to throw in with 1.5 seconds left, immediately after they just surrendered the lead. If they're not the Kings then that probably goes down as the most dramatic game-winner this season.

Filed under "Blind squirrel finds nut"

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The half court game winner by Tyreke Evans against the Grizzlies from earlier this season?

bSLCtu2.png

Good catch on Chicago voting against because of the looming threat of that second Chicago team (almost the Grizzlies at one time).

baaaaaaaahahahaha Dixmoor

Ah, that brings back memories. Can you imagine? I will say that fan frustration with the Bulls was probably at an all-time high at that point (although I'm not sure it showed at the gate).

Reading through that story, I saw references that reminded me of the current Kings and Coyotes (Dixmoor couldn't pay its water bills) situations. Who would've thought staying put was probably the best choice for the Grizzlies?

I'd imagine Heisley would vote for a Kings move so he could pursue Chicago again someday.

The half court game winner by Tyreke Evans against the Grizzlies from earlier this season?

Missed that one. So good for them. If he can do that a couple more times a season once in Anaheim they might have a chance of being as relevant as the Clippers.

The Celtics aren't moving to Anaheim. The Kings are. The idea that a crappier team in a smaller city will somehow make the Clippers less relevant is absurd.

Too true... nothing can make the Clippers any less relevant than they already are...

The Clippers actually are extremely relevant... just for mostly the wrong reasons. The Kings couldn't be more irrelevant if they tried.

Only one team is extremely relevant for losing - the Chicago Cubs. Even non-baseball fans know of their ineptitude. Other than people living around LA, nobody who isn't a basketball fan knows the Clippers exist. And even within basketball, the Clippers aren't nearly as much of a laughing stock as the Cubs, as before Griffin, the only time fans would bring them up would be when looking at the list of championship droughts or to say "Can you believe what a jag that owner is?"

But yes, the Kings are extremely irrelevant, and whether they move or not, the relevancy gap between them and the Clippers is going to grow.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Never mind that. Which team has by far the brighter future? Ask pretty much any analyst right now and they'll tell you it's the Clippers Lakers. Why bother rooting for the Kings when there's an established successful franchise and a more-possible playoff contender nearby?

You could use the same reason as to why root for the Clippers when the Lakers are already here. lol.

And I fixed your sentence :P

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Reading through that story, I saw references that reminded me of the current Kings and Coyotes (Dixmoor couldn't pay its water bills) situations. Who would've thought staying put was probably the best choice for the Grizzlies?

I'd imagine Heisley would vote for a Kings move so he could pursue Chicago again someday.

Pace the south-suburban natives here, but who puts a team in the south suburbs, honestly. Heisley will vote for a move, if not first voting to self-immolate as his only escape from owning a failing NBA team.

So, um, any word on color scheme? Black, gold, and orange could look good, since it won't have the "Penguins + Flyers" dilemma the Ducks' uniforms had upon unveiling. Those color schemes aren't there, though I think the Hornets should be in black and yellow now more than ever thanks to Wiz Khalifa.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Pace the south-suburban natives here, but who puts a team in the south suburbs, honestly. Heisley will vote for a move, if not first voting to self-immolate as his only escape from owning a failing NBA team.

I had never heard of Dixmoor before, but the thought that Tinley Park was considering building a professional basketball arena is astonishing.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Celtics aren't moving to Anaheim. The Kings are. The idea that a crappier team in a smaller city will somehow make the Clippers less relevant is absurd.

Too true... nothing can make the Clippers any less relevant than they already are...

The Clippers actually are extremely relevant... just for mostly the wrong reasons. The Kings couldn't be more irrelevant if they tried.

Only one team is extremely relevant for losing - the Chicago Cubs. Even non-baseball fans know of their ineptitude. Other than people living around LA, nobody who isn't a basketball fan knows the Clippers exist. And even within basketball, the Clippers aren't nearly as much of a laughing stock as the Cubs, as before Griffin, the only time fans would bring them up would be when looking at the list of championship droughts or to say "Can you believe what a jag that owner is?"

But yes, the Kings are extremely irrelevant, and whether they move or not, the relevancy gap between them and the Clippers is going to grow.

I'd have to disagree there. The Cubs are the lovable losers but they've actually had some good years on the field. The Clippers are well known far and wide for both being the worst team in professional sports. Blake Griffin has made them have a second talking point, but that hasn't negated their just plain loser tag, and they're one injury to Griffin away from falling right back into just being the worst losers.

Yeah. The Kings moving to Anaheim hurts the Kings more than any other team.

Guess we'll see. You could be right, or you could be wrong. Obviously the Maloofs think you're wrong and I bet they have more people working on this than any of us do...

This is an act of financial desperation. They are going for a quick fix so they have advisers advising them how to get a deal done quickly for the most money and anaheim makes the most sense at the moment...is it the best decsion for the franchise?..probably not.

The problem arises from the fact that the family once had 2 business that had positive cash flow and equity to live off of...in a matter of a few years both operations have gone south and cash is nearly impossible to come by which brought about this hasty decision.

Anaheim could be a stopgap move until the NBA finally gets ready to accept having a team in Vegas.

Forget the NBA accepting a team in Vegas. Vegas still needs to dig out of the great recession.

Even when The Vegas economy rebounds, the fact that it got so bad, was so fragile, will tarnish their prospects for landing a pro team.

Suddenly, "developing markets" is a huge warning sign when considering relocation/expansion options.

I definitely agree that anaheim is a stopgap location and I also agree that vegas has become much to fragile of an economy to support a nba team...that city will need 10+ years to get itself back if ever...I think some people forget that vegas is a town populated by a million service industry workers which is not the ideal clientele to model one's franchise around.

Archived