Bye Bye Kings, Hello Royals

The Golden One

Jesus not this again.

If you're talking about this thread devolving into yet another never-ending debate on relocation, I agree 100%. Happening too much around the boards.

If not, then, disregard. On-topic, if the Kings do indeed make the move & go back to the Royals nickname, they should at least find some way to update the logo instead of putting it in a box & calling it "new."

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's another (much less likely) thing to bail on an in market team with the most titles in league history

Did I miss some discussion about the Kings moving to Boston?

That NBL title is just as legitimate as any of the Celtics.

As "any" of the Celtics, which were all in the NBA and in Boston? Funny how every NBA book I've ever seen lists champions starting with the '47 Warriors, and omits NBL champs. ABA champs are omitted as well, and they merged into the NBA too.

You wanna talk "legitimate", maybe we should start by vacating the last couple won because of a certain donation. At least the current Heat assembled by collusion between the players which is technically within the rules...

I wasn't even aware that Lakers fans tried to claim an NBL title in order to tie the Celtics. Do they even have a banner up for it in Staples? I know they don't even give enough consideration to the Minneapolis NBA/BAA titles to give them regular banners.

I guess we can add this to the list of blatant lies frequently told by Lakers fans and apologists, in addition to:

1. Gasol for cap space, low draft picks, and marginal prospects was no worse than Garnett for Al Jefferson, cap space, low draft picks, and marginal prospects

2. The Lakers offer of Bynum for Garnett was better than Jefferson for Garnett, despite the fact that Bynum had done next to nothing at that point and Jefferson routinely was putting up 20/10

3. My personal favorite - Trevor Ariza's injury was a big part of the 2008 Finals outcome. Even though he was back from that injury by the conference finals.

I would think the enjoyment the Lakers' fans have gotten out of the last 3 decades (and the knowledge that the league and, apparently, other teams like Memphis, will do all they can to ensure their success continues) would be enough. But you guys still have to make up utter nonsense, it's kind of crazy.

Ummmm....wow. I'm not quite sure what button I pushed there, but I DID not expect that reaction. I take it you're a Boston fan.

For what it's worth, pro basketball in the 1940s was sufficiently chaotic that I'm not sure the BAA champion is so more super special awesome than the NBL champion. Indeed, the fact that the Lakers won the BAA the year AFTER they won the NBL suggests to this objective observer that they probably would have beaten the BAA champion that season as well. Granted the NBA isn't going to say that, but they also consider the ABA four to be expansion teams so *shrugs*

/Not even a goddamn Lakers fan.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

With the uphill, but doable, task of gaining fans in the OC why not go with a name that actually has something to do with OC to build loyalty? Honestly, Royals for Orange County? How about The Orange or Surf? Royals don't mean a thing.

Orange County Elitists?

Orange County Gated Communities?

Orange County the team is STILL too far away for me to go see(s)?

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Lingerie Arena Softball ftmfw. Los Angeles Lace.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

St. Louis will likely pick up the Hornets once Howard Balsille purchases the Blues and moves them to Hamilton.

And Howard Balsille would be...?

"Howard Balsille" would be the way Jews pronounce and spell the word Gentiles refer to as "Jim."

Are you some kind of anti-Semite?

Eh, I got nothing.

Why do I get the feeling that if the Kings do move to So Cal and opt for the name "LA Royals" that they will still somehow be more relevant and popular than the LA Clippers?

Even with Blake Griffin on their team the Clips continue to fall further into obscurity. Sad.

I would say you've missed the mark here. They're not going to surpass the Clippers as the market's number 2 team. If you're still a Clippers fan you're in it for the long haul by this point.

Not what my buddy who grew up in Anaheim rooting for the Clippers said to me this weekend. He's been a die hard for the Clippers his whole life and lives in Ventura right now (ie: closer to Staples than Honda Ctr), and even he is saying he's giving the Royals serious consideration. Can't imagine what non-die hards would do, but I don't think the Clippers have the loyal following people give them credit for, particularly if the Royals suddenly start putting a little more money into the team when they show up in Anaheim.

Why do I get the feeling that if the Kings do move to So Cal and opt for the name "LA Royals" that they will still somehow be more relevant and popular than the LA Clippers?

Even with Blake Griffin on their team the Clips continue to fall further into obscurity. Sad.

I would say you've missed the mark here. They're not going to surpass the Clippers as the market's number 2 team. If you're still a Clippers fan you're in it for the long haul by this point.

Not what my buddy who grew up in Anaheim rooting for the Clippers said to me this weekend. He's been a die hard for the Clippers his whole life and lives in Ventura right now (ie: closer to Staples than Honda Ctr), and even he is saying he's giving the Royals serious consideration. Can't imagine what non-die hards would do, but I don't think the Clippers have the loyal following people give them credit for, particularly if the Royals suddenly start putting a little more money into the team when they show up in Anaheim.

All this based on what one of your buddies said? He must be one influential buddy.

And where would this money be coming from pray tell?

Today, we are all otaku.

All this based on what one of your buddies said? He must be one influential buddy.

He's a buddy whose situation relates specifically to what the issue we are discussing on this thread (as opposed to 99% of the people actually posting on this thread who have no relation to Kings moving to Anaheim). So I would say he's pretty influential to this issue.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

He's a buddy whose situation relates specifically to what the issue we are discussing on this thread (as opposed to 99% of the people actually posting on this thread who have no relation to Kings moving to Anaheim). So I would say he's pretty influential to this issue.

Because the anecdotal evidence of one person trumps everything. And he only said he's considering it.

Today, we are all otaku.

Because the anecdotal evidence of one person trumps everything. And he only said he's considering it.

It refutes the notion that no one in Anaheim is interested in following a Royals team in Anaheim. When a die hard is considering it, it at least presents a counter point to that notion. Anecdotal or not. And at least presents the possibility that if a die hard is willing to jump from the Clippers to the Royals, that casual fans might be willing to give them a shot as well...

Straw man. Nobody ever said that "no one in Anaheim is interested in following a Royals team in Anaheim." The question is whether there is any significant percentage of existing basketball fans in the Los Angeles area who would switch from their current team to a new one. Because if there isn't, the Anaheim Royals will have a very hard road ahead of them.

You've found one person. Bravo. Find a few hundred thousand more and we might have something.

What's "everything"? Anecdotal evidence of people who aren't involved or affected by the issue?

Straw man. Nobody ever said that "no one in Anaheim is interested in following a Royals team in Anaheim." The question is whether there is any significant percentage of existing basketball fans in the Los Angeles area who would switch from their current team to a new one. Because if there isn't, the Anaheim Royals will have a very hard road ahead of them.

You've found one person. Bravo. Find a few hundred thousand more and we might have something.

It's impossible to really say. Everything right now is conjecture. One person saying there aren't enough fans who will support the Kings is about as worthless as someone else saying that there are enough fans who will support the Kings.

Archived