2011-12 soccer kits

Saintsfan

when I think Australian national competition I think green and yellow. Do they differentiate to blue often, or not? Either way, I prefer the green.

I think blue is their standard change color. Like the Netherlands, their standard kit is unique enough that they're not often called upon to wear the clash strip, so it's not as iconic in our minds as a team like England, Germany or the US.

Just about to post that. Looking at their past few kits, blue has been their go-to change color.

spacer.png

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when I think Australian national competition I think green and yellow. Do they differentiate to blue often, or not? Either way, I prefer the green.

I think blue is their standard change color. Like the Netherlands, their standard kit is unique enough that they're not often called upon to wear the clash strip, so it's not as iconic in our minds as a team like England, Germany or the US.

Just about to post that. Looking at their past few kits, blue has been their go-to change color.

Australia's national colours are green and gold but this has only been official since 1984 (when it won a popular vote over red, blue and white and blue and gold), before that the actual national colours were blue and gold, but no sporting team adopted them full time.

As such many of Australia's sporting teams have used blue in their uniforms at some stage, but not to the extent that the football do.

526787-lucas-neill.jpg

401138_10150727950237028_288514327027_11299391_227354785_n.jpg

New Australia away

It's nowhere near as good as their last World Cup effort for Australia:

57766.jpg

In fact, I don't find it particularly above average at all. What's with the box on the right sleeve?

Well when they cut it out of the front stripe they had to put it somewhere. Everybody's trying to do their part to halt global warming.

But seriously, when I think Australian national competition I think green and yellow. Do they differentiate to blue often, or not? Either way, I prefer the green.

I just hope that this time, the retail replicas use something resembling the actual crest, as opposed to this thing.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

IIRC, there's a legal reason why the Socceroos can't sell replica shirts with the coat of arms.

Perhaps because it's the Commonwealth's official coat of arms, not a crest, and can only be worn by official representatives?

EDIT: Yep, my memory was right. Here are the guidelines:

Use of the Commonwealth Coat of Arms by sporting bodies

The Commonwealth Coat of Arms is the pre-eminent mark of Commonwealth authority. Its use, with a few limited exceptions, is limited to the Commonwealth Parliament, the Government and the Federal Courts. However, since 1922, Australian representative national sporting teams participating in international competitions have been able to seek Commonwealth Government permission to display the Arms on their uniforms. Requests must be made in writing to the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet.

So the Socceroos can wear it, but they can't sell anything with it. Obviously, were this a large issue they would have adopted their own football-only crest.

Adrian Dantley, from 1990-91.

dantley0001_20100627248.gif

Man, I miss the Irish Rainbows. As beautiful a design as it was unique. Glad to see reflections of it in the Beautiful Game (and Umbro has even managed to improve upon it by removing the white stripe and just using three shades of the same color).

Do you own that Dantley jersey or did you pull that from a site?

Just grabbed it from the web. It was part of a two-jersey lot that sold for $624 in June of 2007, and then was sold at one of Grey Flannel's Basketball Hall of Fame auctions in August of 2008 for $5,000.00. Nice little profit there.

That "Obsidian" blue has been the away kit colour since 2006. Before that it was white, and before that it varied a bit because adidas could never decide on green or gold as the home colour.

The last three Nike away kits have been recolours of the home kit, so I'm fully expecting gold with a green stripe down the front for the home. I don't think we're big enough to warrant two new designs. The big question mark with the new kit is the sock colour. Traditionally until about 1993 we always wore gold shirts/green shorts/white socks until adidas changed it. There's been some grassroots support for a move back to the white socks with the home kit, so it'll be interesting to see if we get them.

We never had an actual vote on our national colours, the government just proclaimed green and gold as the colours in 1984 (116C and 384C says Wiki) to reflect what had been traditional practice for the best part of a century. Blue and gold are the heraldic colours (hence the blue/gold bar above the shield in our coat of arms). The things you learn when you visit the High Court and actually listen to the tour guides...

When/if we get around to changing the flag like Canada did, then a blue/gold combination would be the best way to go.

liverpool-1.png

are italy's numbers intended to look pixelated? This is the only photo I've seen so hard to be sure...

If so: Not sure I like it but kudos to Puma for trying something different.

Here are Pumas numbers for the Slovakia kits:

SLOVAK12last.jpg

are italy's numbers intended to look pixelated? This is the only photo I've seen so hard to be sure...

SLOVAK12last.jpg

img_4_blue_tapes.jpg

Make your own at home, kids!

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

SLOVAK12last.jpg

img_4_blue_tapes.jpg

Make your own at home, kids!

Exactly my first thought upon seeing this shirt.

SLOVAK12last.jpg

It's a defective product right?

Don't tell me it's for real?

IIRC, there's a legal reason why the Socceroos can't sell replica shirts with the coat of arms.

Perhaps because it's the Commonwealth's official coat of arms, not a crest, and can only be worn by official representatives?

EDIT: Yep, my memory was right. Here are the guidelines:

Use of the Commonwealth Coat of Arms by sporting bodies

The Commonwealth Coat of Arms is the pre-eminent mark of Commonwealth authority. Its use, with a few limited exceptions, is limited to the Commonwealth Parliament, the Government and the Federal Courts. However, since 1922, Australian representative national sporting teams participating in international competitions have been able to seek Commonwealth Government permission to display the Arms on their uniforms. Requests must be made in writing to the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet.

So the Socceroos can wear it, but they can't sell anything with it. Obviously, were this a large issue they would have adopted their own football-only crest.

I did not know that. In that case, I wish they'd go with something better-looking and more closely resembling what's worn on-field, like what the Rugby League Kangaroos use:

IMG_20120228_122232.jpg

According to Allen Hopkins:

#USMNT set to debut new @nikesoccer kits tomorrow v. Italy. Saw them prior to release, like them a lot. Entire collection is fantastic.

SOURCE

Hopefully we'll be in the red/white hoops and Italy will be in their new home blue kit. That'd be a nice-looking game...

Greece and Croatia are great, while Turkey and Italy are pretty "meh". I especially expected more from the Italians.

#USMNT set to debut new @nikesoccer kits tomorrow v. Italy. Saw them prior to release, like them a lot. Entire collection is fantastic.

SOURCE

Hopefully we'll be in the red/white hoops and Italy will be in their new home blue kit. That'd be a nice-looking game...

Damn straight. Where can I watch the match?

spacer.png

Greece and Croatia are great, while Turkey and Italy are pretty "meh". I especially expected more from the Italians.

SOURCE

Damn straight. Where can I watch the match?

ESPN2. 2:30 ET

The new away shirt goes on sale tomorrow and the home shirt doesn't go on sale for a few months, so I don't imagine we'll be lucky enough to see the USMNT in hoops tomorrow. I'll be watching either way.

Archived