2011-12 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

jhans203

This was from 8 months ago, but it looks like the Thunder will try to get alts since their 2 year waiting period is over.

http://www.nba.com/thunder/news/prestiqanda_100924.html

Sam there’s a lot of talk around the league about teams changing uniforms. Do you guys have any plans for alternate uniforms?

“I think that’ll happen in the future. There’s a period of time that you have to wait and I’m not clear 100 percent on the rules or the guidelines so I don’t want to give you the impression that I have it figured out. But it’s something that the organization will strongly look at as that opportunity becomes available to us.”

So, yellow, navy, or orange?

07Giants.pngnyy.png

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was from 8 months ago, but it looks like the Thunder will try to get alts since their 2 year waiting period is over.

FYI, they could have worn an alternate this season. This was their 3rd season in their current set.

I don't know which color I would want them to get. Orange would look too garish, and yellow and navy would look too boring and predicable. I don't know if getting an alternate jersey would be such a great idea for them. For a team with such a gimmicky name, logo, and identity, I was kind of pleasantly surprised they held out on an alternate this year. I was expecting they would have jumped all over one.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Interesting that we're talking about a Thunder alt. Sole Collector recently interviewed the people at Nike that designed and developed Kevin Durant's signature shoe. They were talking about colorways that the shoe was being sold in, and they were asked about this shoe:

nike-kd-iii-grey-yellow-01.jpg

and this is what followed

NDP: And this grey and yellow version?

Eberhart: It?s also just in time for Easter, and Oklahoma City only has two uniforms, but we were just thinking aloud, ?What if they get a third alternate uniform and what would that look like?? This is our take on what that might look like.

Terrell: Did you tell the team what we?d like their alternate to look like?

Eberhart: Oh yeah. I sent them an email.

[everyone laughs]

Now these are Nike designers, not adidas designers, but I found their take on a Thunder alternate very interesting. Do you think any adidas designers or Thunder higher-ups would think of a color scheme like this? Can they throw in a completely new color, like Oregon football did?

Interesting that we're talking about a Thunder alt. Sole Collector recently interviewed the people at Nike that designed and developed Kevin Durant's signature shoe. They were talking about colorways that the shoe was being sold in, and they were asked about this shoe:

nike-kd-iii-grey-yellow-01.jpg

and this is what followed

NDP: And this grey and yellow version?

Eberhart: It?s also just in time for Easter, and Oklahoma City only has two uniforms, but we were just thinking aloud, ?What if they get a third alternate uniform and what would that look like?? This is our take on what that might look like.

Terrell: Did you tell the team what we?d like their alternate to look like?

Eberhart: Oh yeah. I sent them an email.

[everyone laughs]

Now these are Nike designers, not adidas designers, but I found their take on a Thunder alternate very interesting. Do you think any adidas designers or Thunder higher-ups would think of a color scheme like this? Can they throw in a completely new color, like Oregon football did?

They certainly can throw in a completely new color (but that doesn't mean it's a good idea). Remember either of these?

QRzvs.jpgMMXSt.jpg

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

I hope they go with an orange alt uni...they have a nice bright unique orange color to use. Also, they better put an OKC wordmark on it.

I don't know which color I would want them to get. Orange would look too garish, and yellow and navy would look too boring and predicable. I don't know if getting an alternate jersey would be such a great idea for them. For a team with such a gimmicky name, logo, and identity, I was kind of pleasantly surprised they held out on an alternate this year. I was expecting they would have jumped all over one.

A problem I have is that so many of the graphics I see of the Thunder's logos show the "Orange" to be a bright, somewhat standard Orange. It's not. It's officially called "Red-Orange" and the explanation for the color is that it is supposed to be a color between the U. of Oklahoma's Crimson, and Oklahoma State's Orange.

This is the actual color:

OklahomaCityThunderRedOrange_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

To me - on my calibrated monitor, and looking at the actual chip in the Pantone set - it's more of a Red than an Orange. Here's the Pantone Textile match:

OklahomaCityThunderRedOrange_9999_TEX_SRGB.png

I think that might be a pretty good color for an alternate jersey.

To me - on my calibrated monitor, and looking at the actual chip in the Pantone set - it's more of a Red than an Orange. Here's the Pantone Textile match:

OklahomaCityThunderRedOrange_9999_TEX_SRGB.png

I think that might be a pretty good color for an alternate jersey.

yeah, this is the color that I envision an orange Thunder alt uni being...

though i also like the idea of a yellow / grey uni to connote an actual Thunderstorm.

I really wish the Thunder would get a better logo, the one they have now still seems like a placeholder logo.

Yes. This is possibly the worst logo in professional sports, along with a terrible color pallete with the overused two-tone blue we have seen too much in the league recently. Definitely a placeholder after the quick move from Seattle, and it's inexplicable that they have not come up with a new identity yet. Oklahoma City clearly has a great fanbase and they deserve better than this piece of :censored:. I'd love to see a new identity based around some mid-western color scheme (brown? it could work) and a buffalo (isn't their mascot already a buffalo?).

I really wish the Thunder would get a better logo, the one they have now still seems like a placeholder logo.

Yes. This is possibly the worst logo in professional sports, along with a terrible color pallete with the overused two-tone blue we have seen too much in the league recently. Definitely a placeholder after the quick move from Seattle, and it's inexplicable that they have not come up with a new identity yet. Oklahoma City clearly has a great fanbase and they deserve better than this piece of :censored:. I'd love to see a new identity based around some mid-western color scheme (brown? it could work) and a buffalo (isn't their mascot already a buffalo?).

Frankly, I wish they would have gone with the name "Barons" rather than "Thunder."

I just hope they get a new logo soon, because I fear if they should win the NBA championship any time soon, their logo and current color scheme will become "untouchable."

Frankly, I wish they would have gone with the name "Barons" rather than "Thunder."

I just hope they get a new logo soon, because I fear if they should win the NBA championship any time soon, their logo and current color scheme will become "untouchable."

Oh man, that would be awful... That abomination of a logo needs to no longer exist.

baltimoreravens.png

If there's a color that needs to be in the Thunder's color scheme, it needs to be a dark, slate-ish gray. Drop the navy and athletic gold, and you've got a truly unique color scheme. I've always advocated the idea of a light blue/red-orange/slate gray color scheme for the Thunder.

I've never had an issue with light blue as the main color for Oklahoma City; that same blue is as close to the same as the state flag as you can get:

ok_fi.gif

I would also say that the Oklahoma City needs to use that red-orange more; many people seem to associate that color with them more than anything, as ESPN/ABC uses that and I believe Root Sports (formerly FSN) does, too. So, the red-orange needs to be the alternate's color. Here's a quick Photoshop of their uniform in my suggested color scheme:

3258339297_7e9810e6d3.jpg

However, that logo does need to go.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Root Sports is only Seattle/Denver/Pittsburgh. What do they have to do with the Thunder?

Well, I get the Denver branch of Root Sports, but on shows like the Final Score (at least when it was FSN), they used the red-orange, like ESPN, to represent the Thunder.

The main point I was trying to get across was that the red-orange is being used a lot more than what we see on the Thunder's uniforms.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

my favorite color combo Gray with Yellow (blue and orange in the side piping)

j3eh973kaa5ipnev7zt8jfhdw.png

Interesting. This would definitely be a unique look to the nba. Make the numbers/wordmark on the front the same as the back numbers (white base, blue and yellow outline), and I wouldn't mind it at all. I think a color scheme of black, charcoal, and yellow would work if they were to rebrand. I'd personally like to see brown or charcoal, something unique, as the road jersey color.

However, with the current color scheme, a yellow alternate would be atrocious. There's already a good amount of yellow jerseys in the league (NOLA, Lakers, Pacers), and I've always felt that they are better off emphasizing orange more as a tertiary color compared the to the primary color of blue and secondary of navy. Shifting yellow to a more prominent role would reposition them with a brand that is too similar to the Grizzlies and Nuggets (two tone blue, then yellow).

my favorite color combo Gray with Yellow (blue and orange in the side piping)

j3eh973kaa5ipnev7zt8jfhdw.png

Nothing will ever look good with that lettering and logo, but as for colors, I think the charcoal (anthracite?) would make a fine base color with yellow and orange trim. Not sure about the red and cyan though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived