2011-12 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

jhans203

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has to be my favorite thing Adidas has done. WIth their treatment of some faux-back designs, namely, Warriors, Jazz, Cavs, and Sixers, I just hated the way they turned out (although I think the sixers unis improved from the Iverson era, their primary logo is very weak). With this, they went faux-back, and just executed it perfectly, in my opinion. Fantastic.

The color balance is great on the jerseys, the new circle logo is beautiful, the W created on the shorts is very clever, and monument integrated into the font is genius. Really great work. I'm a huge fan of their alignment with the Capitals, especially the fact that one integrates the capitol building, the other integrates the monument. Good branding.

Now, can the Thunder please get rebranded? Please? Worst identity in the NBA.

Since they seem to be de-emphasizing the "Wizards"

Anyone else surprised they didn't put Washington on both jerseys?

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Since they seem to be de-emphasizing the "Wizards", here's a change to the whole deal:

dc-feds.png

YES.

I know it's a traditional name and everything, but what the hell is a "Federal"? Most pluralized team names are nouns, not adjectives.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

I guess "federal" could be used to mean:

?noun

6. an advocate of federation or federalism.

7. ( initial capital letter ) U.S. History .

a. a Federalist.

b. an adherent of the Union government during the civil war; Unionist.

c. a soldier in the Federal army.

*above from Dictionary.com*

I know one thing, I really don't like the leaping wizard in the new colors...I mean sheesh, they coulda at least made the old geeser's face and hands silver instead of blue. I do like the monument logo, the dc logo and that they snuck the monument into the scripts...though granted, they might as well have changed the name while they were at it, but whatever. As a hopeless Indian romantic would say, I'm in love with parts of this, but that doesn't mean that I want this and I can't live without this.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

A crappy mockup, but a what-if for an alternate:

wizards11copy.png

Wow I think that looks pretty good! I bet we see something along those lines in the next year or two.

I like that, too! Although, I wonder if they'll try to be hip and pull a "Rip City" or "PHX" by having some other appellation for the city on the jersey instead, e.g., "The District," or even "DMV" to pull in the MD and VA contingent.

EDIT: I think the "washington" wordmark would look stronger w/ a white ball, even though that would make the mark monochromatic; that red ball gets a little lost in the navy field.

Fantastic work by the Wizards. I LOVE the home and the new logos, really well done there. I'm not as excited about the road, looks a little off-balance to me.

Question: Why does the wizard not have a washington script? I thought primaries had to include the city name?

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Fantastic work by the Wizards. I LOVE the home and the new logos, really well done there. I'm not as excited about the road, looks a little off-balance to me.

Question: Why does the wizard not have a washington script? I thought primaries had to include the city name?

I don't think primary logos are required to have the city name, they just need to have the team name. The Pacers and Nets also both have relatively new primary logos without city or state names included.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

There are certainly some flaws with this set, but overall, I think that they absolutely hit a home run here. I am blown away by how much better this turned out than what I was expecting.

Most of my (relatively minor) gripes have already been mentioned, but in order of prominence:

1. The silver number trim. It stands out too much for me, and makes the numbers look like a separate piece that's just slapped on, as opposed to being more integrated in the design. I think that white or navy trim on the white jersey, and white or red trim on the red jersey would have been fine.

2. The font is fine, but just a little too gimicky for me. I'd rather have seen something actually closer to the Capitals font - it's just a little too unnecessarily spikey-serifed... but this is minor.

3. The DC logo looks more like clc rather than dc. Otherwise, it's fantastic.

4. The piping on the sides of the jersey is unnecessary. It's only there to continue onto the shorts, but it's totally unnecessary. It shouldn't be competing with the main striping at all.

5. The shape of the stripe on the back under the neck. It's fine, but I think just keeping it straight may have turned out better. Again, very minor.

There are a lot of good things happening in this set. I never would have imagined that I'd like a red and navy uniform as much as I do this, but there it is. Outstanding job.

Cannot give it an A+ or even an A, but I think that A- is extremely high praise for one of these things.

Uncannily enough, this is the exact, word for word critique that I gave the new identity.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

A crappy mockup, but a what-if for an alternate:

wizards11copy.png

Wow I think that looks pretty good! I bet we see something along those lines in the next year or two.

I like that, too! Although, I wonder if they'll try to be hip and pull a "Rip City" or "PHX" by having some other appellation for the city on the jersey instead, e.g., "The District," or even "DMV" to pull in the MD and VA contingent.

EDIT: I think the "washington" wordmark would look stronger w/ a white ball, even though that would make the mark monochromatic; that red ball gets a little lost in the navy field.

DMV lol

(although I think the sixers unis improved from the Iverson era, their primary logo is very weak)

I never see the primary logo ever used, and i live in philly. Really just there cause I think the NBA likes teams to have their city name in their primary logo. (even tho the wizards just say wizards in their recolored logo)

As much as I love this rebrand, it still stands that "Wizards" is just a terrible nickname, IMO. This is not harry potter. I can't say that I like "Federals" either, though, that's too obscure in my mind.

Yeaaahh no one likes Wizards, which is fair. But I guess at this point we should just stay the Wizards from now on. Not to sound too corny but it'd be pretty disrespectful to the late Abe Pollin who is one of the most important figures in DC sports history to basically spit in his face and switch back to the one name he didn't want us to be called. I think this new rebrand is the best we're gonna get.

90758391980.gif

Is it just me or could the new monument in ball logo also represent a wand casting a spell? I know they are trying to demphasize Wizards, but I can see the monument as a wand with the star shooting from it.

Is it just me or could the new monument in ball logo also represent a wand casting a spell? I know they are trying to demphasize Wizards, but I can see the monument as a wand with the star shooting from it.

I did catch a bit of that vibe as well.

Let's get this over with...

For those who keep saying "CHANGE THE NAME BACK 2 BULLETS!1!1!!" --- it ain't gonna happen.

Why? Here's why:

Ted Leonsis, the Wizards' new owner, has a great respect for the late Abe Pollin, the owner who changed the team's name from Bullets. Changing the name would be a great disrespect to Mr. Pollin and his wife Irene, who is still involved in the team's operation. Additionally, Leonsis has said that changing the name back to Bullets would be a difficult move logistically - from reserving a new web address to new merchandise to everything else the team's name is attached to.

The final nail in the coffin was Gilbert Arenas' dumb misadventures with handguns a few years ago. Obviously, changing the name to Bullets after that would be a long stretch.

And it's not going to happen anytime soon. So please stop asking for it.

Thank you.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

I did catch a bit of that vibe as well.

I'll take it!!!

Kristopher "Baze" Bazen

www.krisbazen.com

Archived