2011-12 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

jhans203

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me...

WINS: Wordmarks (exactly how I was hoping they'd look), "DC" alt logo (sharp and pays great homage to the Bullets), basketball alt logo

LOSSES: Silver trim, number font, side panels on the shorts (would have looked better as just three simple stars down the side rather than a bar, in my humble opinion)

"MEHH...S": Horizontal Unseld-era like stripe and design. I dont hate it, but I dont like it either. I never liked the Unseld-era uniforms and prefer the simplicity of the Bouges/Webber-era, but thats just me. Anyways, the way they integrated the horizontal design is better than what could have been, but I'm really on the fence regarding it.

Overall, though with some notable flaws, it's a significant upgrade (and this is coming from one of the few who actually liked the Wizards' old identity). They absolutely hit a home run with the wordmarks and alt logos.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I love it. All of it. Except that "dc" shooting hand thing--they coulda done without that particular logo. But beyond that, I love it. Even the silver. Number font actually doesn't look forced. The whole thing came out looking super-clean, with an obvious and well-executed (in my mind) ode to the old Bullets. This also instantly vaults the Wiz to the top of the NBA's most unique looks.

All that said, now would be about the time to start expecting more, um, "off the wall" looks (pun not intended) looks from whatever NBA teams revamp their identities next. I really wouldn't be surprised at all if this new Wiz look ushers in a new design direction amongst the NBA.

Well done, Wiz...well done.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

"DC hand unity"???

picturepage2_050411.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

picturepage_050411.jpg

HUGE upgrade. Wow, this is very well done. Literally have no complaints with this one. Well, the primary logo is still ugly, but since it's a primary logo in name-only, not really a big complaint. Even though it's another RWB team (2 in one division; the Hawks are the other one), if any town should have a RWB team, it's D.C. Nice job!

EDIT: This is how you "go back" to an old look: Modernize it tastefully, but keep some of the elements that made the old look so nice. This is really nice.

As has been hinted at, I don't love it. It isn't absolutely horrific though. If I could change one thing, it'd be the numbers. Font & trim. I'd make the font more rounded-block-ish and less Crillee-ish. And I'd make the outline color the same as the stripe color. Silver doesn't belong. The next things I'd like to change are the panel on the top of the back, that odd shape, I'd like to see it just straight across. Then the sides of the jerseys need to be fixed. The stripe goes all the way around, fine, but why does the piping just intersect it and continue? I think there was a better way to tackle that area. I do like the new logos, minus the 'clc' logo. It just looks wrong to see only one hand.

I'm a big fan of this rebrand. The home jersey is much better than the away, but they couldn't really have done anything about that. I like the DC logo for the shorts, but that could have been executed a little better. The small gap on the D makes it look like it says "clc" instead of "dc". It's going to be interesting to see which logo ends up at center court next year. And they should have just changed names if they're going to just hide that primary logo and have absolutely no wizard imagery on the uniforms.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Love it. I'm not much of a fan of the old jerseys that these are based off of, but this looks great. The stripe through the front numbers look a little goofy, but it doesn't kill the look. And those shorts are beautiful. Might have to get a pair.

Another minor tweak: they appear to have tilted the "primary" Wizard/moon logo at a 30 degree angle. Compare to last year's version:

6knfe8lffkm40auemws7iev9m.gif

Before, the moon formed the base of the logo, but in the style sheet above, the Leapin' Wizard's back leg is even with - or even lower than - the base of the moon.

Considering their plans to de-emphasize that logo, I wonder why they even bothered.

EDIT: they also have removed the block of color in the "crotch" area at the base of the W.

:shocked:

Wow, it's freakin' amazing!! Sure, it's clearly based partially on the current Capitals gear and I'm sure they use the exact same colors, but what an upgrade it is! I don't feel like any of the little details need to be nitpicked because they don't deserve that treatment. If I could grade the new stuff on a scale from 0 to 10, I would give them.............a 10!!!

Now this is how you design modern throwbacks. Sixers, you should pay attention.

"DC hand unity"???

picturepage2_050411.jpg

Its a nice update. The shorts are great... not crazy about the jersey though. I don't understand the appeal of mixing and matching all kinds of stripe patterns. The Star with Washington Monument logo is pretty well done. Reminds me of a minor league baseball uniform.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

If that monument ball isn't the center court logo then all is lost.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived