Best and Worst College football uniforms

thespleenenator

This is why you see black and silver on TCU's uniforms. It's part of their history.

Eh, I think it is a bit of a stretch to say TCU started wearing black pants and alt jerseys in 1998 because the team wore black leather helmets back in the day.

Texas Tech has long used black as a trim color, but that isn't why they started wearing black helmets, jerseys and pants.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably one of the greatest uniforms in college football today:

ohio-bobcats1.jpg

2010-10-23-5911-JH.jpg

I've always liked my dad's alma mater's look, though I think they should keep white pants with the road unis.

I've always liked my dad's alma mater's look, though I think they should keep white pants with the road unis.

I don't mind the white pants with white jerseys, but I think the green offers up more color and contrast. The all white is just a little too much white, IMO.

Ohio+v+Ohio+State+V2LEBU0Okgul.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I don't mind the white pants with white jerseys, but I think the green offers up more color and contrast. The all white is just a little too much white, IMO.

Ohio+v+Ohio+State+V2LEBU0Okgul.jpg

True enough with no pants stripes. I generally prefer dark/dark/light(home) and dark/light/dark(road) for dark helmets and light/dark/light(home) and light/light/light(road) for light helmets.

It is what it is, Dmo.

The green helmet, green and yellow home-and-road sets are good. Not great, but good. Definitely better than the rest of the matte black/carbon/anthractie/silver/gray/charcoal combinations (aka clownsuits).

True enough with no pants stripes. I generally prefer dark/dark/light(home) and dark/light/dark(road) for dark helmets and light/dark/light(home) and light/light/light(road) for light helmets.

1 - Me too

2 - Depends on colors. Tampa Bay's pewter/white/white looks really good I think, but most teams look good dark/light/dark.

3 - Agreed - another great look, I think, is LSU's rare yellow/purple/yellow.

4 - Again, depends on colors. Florida State looks great with gold/white/garnet, but it doesn't mean the gold/white/gold looks awful. Miami's white/white/white looks really good. If Ohio used another color, say more of the gold/tan color, on the all-whites, I think they'd look pretty darn sharp.

Note that I'm using white/gold/yellow/silver as "light" colored helmets, and pewter/navy/royal/green/blue/black as "dark" colored. Your definitions may differ.

1 - Me too

2 - Depends on colors. Tampa Bay's pewter/white/white looks really good I think, but most teams look good dark/light/dark.

3 - Agreed - another great look, I think, is LSU's rare yellow/purple/yellow.

4 - Again, depends on colors. Florida State looks great with gold/white/garnet, but it doesn't mean the gold/white/gold looks awful. Miami's white/white/white looks really good. If Ohio used another color, say more of the gold/tan color, on the all-whites, I think they'd look pretty darn sharp.

Note that I'm using white/gold/yellow/silver as "light" colored helmets, and pewter/navy/royal/green/blue/black as "dark" colored. Your definitions may differ.

TB's pewter/white/white and TCU's purple/white/white are definitely the modern trend.

They don't look bad; I just prefer pewter/white/pewter and purple/white/purple.

The simple green and white looks good on Ohio, but it looks extremely lazy to have plain white pants with the double stripe on the helmet and jersey. The pants kill that entire uniform for me.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The Oregon clown-suits diss is turning into one of those overused phrases

Just because it's your favourite team doesn't make it less true.

Just because you don't personally like Oregon's uniforms doesn't mean it's an unarguable fact that they're "clownsuits."

I'm going to stop now before this thread gets derailed into yet another tiresome Oregon argument.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I'm definitely not a fan of the overabundance of Oregon's "wardrobe-of-the-day".

But not all of the combinations are horrible. Green jerseys with either white or yellow numbers, paired with the gold pants, that's a look I can live with. For the white jerseys, the numbers need to be green, Pair those with the yellow or green pants.

Once in a while, Oregon puts together an outfit that's both modern and school-color-specific.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Just because it's your favourite team doesn't make it less true.

Just because you don't personally like Oregon's uniforms doesn't mean it's an unarguable fact that they're "clownsuits."

If BigDmo is seeing the term used enough that it irks him it must mean that the term has gained a significant amount of usage. Which means a lot of people think it holds true. It's not just me.

*shrug*

Once in a while, Oregon puts together an outfit that's both modern and school-color-specific.

Indeed. They have a few combos that really work. To bad their uniform ADD keeps them from wearing those combos more often.

Sigh. For some reason, the mention of Oregon on this site is becoming similar to the mention of abortion on a political discussion board. For some reason all rational behavior exits when the Ducks are mentioned. I think we shouldn't have ignored the OP's suggestion to leave out Oregon.

I personally like their current sets (not so much the previous "diamond tread" accents or the lemon color/flames helmet).

Best:

Michigan

Texas

(If we were discussing Oregon, I'd put them in here; but we're not, so I won't.)

LSU

Navy

Connecticut

TAMU

Worst:

Toledo

Wazzu

Tennessee

North Carolina State

Put a simple two stripe pattern on the pants (green on white, white on green) and Ohio has one heck of a nice look.

I agree. Ohio has a nice look, but the total cop-out of plain pants paired with the double-stripes prominent on the jersey and helmet mess things up.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Put a simple two stripe pattern on the pants (green on white, white on green) and Ohio has one heck of a nice look.

I agree. Ohio has a nice look, but the total cop-out of plain pants paired with the double-stripes prominent on the jersey and helmet mess things up.

If you are saying that they need double stripes on the pants, then I totally agree. I know double-stripe pants/shoulders/helmet has been done, but I think it's a great look and the plain pants are the only flaw in an otherwise great uniform.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived