Ohio State

Alabama

USC

Penn State's previous uniforms

Worst:

Penn State's new uniforms

Oregon

ASU

Penn State dropping something as small as the sleeve and collar trim caused them to go from best to worst?

KW going from best to worst is a bit extream, but for the most part, these are folks who hated Penn State's look anyway (KW non-withstanding).

They hate the classic look, so PSU actually going (just slightly, almost un-noticeably) more conservative is a slap in the face to someone who, I guess, would like to see them let Nike add sparkly-charcole jerseys, flat black helmets, dull gray pants, white-on-white helmet decals, and who knows what else. Maybe they would like to see the fans of Penn State (and Alabama, Notre Dame, etc...) be just as embarrassed as they'll be in ten years when everybody looks back on what's popular now and says "What the hell were we thinking?"

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few better ones most ppl dont mention:

In my opinion San Jose State is by far the most underrated. Their color scheme is so awesome.

sanjose.jpg

Another underrated one--Tulane, now that they are rocking the white lids

8861343-large.jpg

SJS would look much better if they followed USC's lead and didn't use white as an accent color. Not sure I can put a 90's Nike template-looking jersey on a any best list in 2011.

A few better ones most ppl dont mention:

In my opinion San Jose State is by far the most underrated. Their color scheme is so awesome.

sanjose.jpg

Another underrated one--Tulane, now that they are rocking the white lids

8861343-large.jpg

SJS would look much better if they followed USC's lead and didn't use white as an accent color. Not sure I can put a 90's Nike template-looking jersey on a any best list in 2011.

Agreed... SJS has a great color set, but that jersey template doesn't work for them IMO. A USC or Michigan look with that same blue? Awesome.

Tulane, though... nice.

For the 2011 season:

TOP 3

Wyoming Cowboys

Temple Owls

USC Trojans

BEST of the REST

The Ohio State Buckeyes

Penn State Nittany Lions

Florida State Seminoles

Arizona State Sun Devils

Auburn Tigers

Navy Midshipmen

Army Black Knights

Texas Longhorns

Wisconsin Badgers

Nebraska Cornhuskers

WORST

Iowa State Cyclones

Clemson Tigers

Virgina Tech Hokies

Boise State Broncos

Delaware Blue Hens

Air Force Falcons

Minnesota Golden Gophers

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

My inital reaction is to all the instances of seeing Iowa as "worst". While I LOVE the silhouette logo on the helmet, I guess I get that people are probably pointing to copying the Steelers...in the late 1990s, (post shoulder wings), they had a great look, but I'll give you that the Steelers copy is lame.

For me...

Best Overall: Oklahoma

Worst Overall: Anything that does not use school colors (includes many Oregon combos, TCU for using black, Northwestern black, etc.)

Best Helmet: Wisconsin (yes I actually feel that way). Also love West Virginia, Iowa and Texas.

Worst Helmet: Wordmarks with logos and logos (particularly mascots) with too much detail (includes Boise State, Fresno State, Oregon State, ASU Sparky (which I guess is now gone), etc.)

Best Jersey: UCLA. The helmets make the overall uniform kind of a mess, but the jersey, in and of itself is great, particularly with the block numbers.

Worst Jersey: See above (non-school colors)

Underrated: Ohio, Kentucky and Kansas State overall looks.

Overrated: Michigan "winged" helmet and Alabama "numbered" helmet.

Best Thing I Miss: Purple Washington Helmet, Blue Arizona Helmet

Good Riddance: Iowa State's addition of Blue and use "Cy" on the helmet

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Worst:

paul_madsen_csu_rams_2.jpg

We have a winner. Nothing in college football was worse than pairing up an orange jersey with sublimated ram horns with a green & gold ram horn helmet & have nerve enough to call it a throwback. Hot-ass mess.

But yeah, tops IMO:

-LSU

-Texas

-Arizona

Bottom-barrel IMO:

-Boise State (if they go to the Pro Combat unis full-time)

-Maryland

-Oregon (ONLY when they pick a terrible uniform combo. Their uniform can look pretty good at times, but then they'll :censored: around & wear some :censored: like what they wore in the National Championship.)

-Iowa (Same reason that most put them on here: You take the Hawkeyes logo off of the helmet, put a Steelers logo on one side only, change the number font on the jersey, put a Steelers logo on left side of the chest, and wham, Pittsburgh Steelers. Yet, that uniform will never change unless they want to risk cornfields going ablaze in protest.)

Worst Overall: Anything that does not use school colors (includes many Oregon combos, TCU for using black, Northwestern black, etc.)

... though it's not an OFFICIAL color, black has been appart of TCU's uniform history. It's not like they've never used black before now. TCU had black helmets back in the 20's and early 30's, even.

And (even though the helmet will only be used as an alternate, thank God) the more I see these,

TCU2011Uniforms.jpg

the more I MISS these....

RackMultipart.30400.0_display_image.jpg?1258688859

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

The only problem with Florida's uniforms is the helmet. I would love it if they went with the gator head or the F from their 2009 Pro Combats. Other than that, their uniforms are great.

I'll second that.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Best:

Ohio State

Alabama

USC

Penn State's previous uniforms

Worst:

Penn State's new uniforms

Oregon

ASU

Penn State dropping something as small as the sleeve and collar trim caused them to go from best to worst?

KW going from best to worst is a bit extream, but for the most part, these are folks who hated Penn State's look anyway (KW non-withstanding).

They hate the classic look, so PSU actually going (just slightly, almost un-noticeably) more conservative is a slap in the face to someone who, I guess, would like to see them let Nike add sparkly-charcole jerseys, flat black helmets, dull gray pants, white-on-white helmet decals, and who knows what else. Maybe they would like to see the fans of Penn State (and Alabama, Notre Dame, etc...) be just as embarrassed as they'll be in ten years when everybody looks back on what's popular now and says "What the hell were we thinking?"

I for one, love Penn State's "old school" look and I would never want to see them change. But in my opinion, that doesn't automatically make their uniforms one of the best. If you've ever seen pictures of supermodels or A-list actresses without makeup, you realize that it takes a lot of work to look good - you can't just roll out of bed and be good to go. Uniforms are the same way. For many people though, Penn State gets a free pass because of history and tradition. If you're ranking uniforms based on that criteria alone, then by all means, Penn State belongs near the top of the list. But if you're judging based on aesthetics and "coolness factor" or simply "best looking" then Penn State is probably somewhere near the bottom of the list. What if half of all D1 programs switched their uniforms next season to make them as simple as Penn State (no logos, no piping, no stripes, no patterns, etc.)? Would anybody consider any of the "new looks" to be the best?

Best Helmet: Wisconsin (yes I actually feel that way). Also love West Virginia, Iowa and Texas.

Funny, I thought the motion W had black in it (which isn't a school color to my knowledge) and the reds don't match.

Edit: just saw your username. Now it makes sense.

Funny, I thought the motion W had black in it (which isn't a school color to my knowledge) and the reds don't match.

I wish they'd drop that black from the motion W. I also wish they'd drop it from the trim in basketball. I do find different degrees of sin, though, between this and schools without black going to black jerseys and (all the things Oregon does). If Wisconsin goes to a black jersey (which face it, could happen almost anywhere), I'll be the first to call it out as BFBS.

When you see Wisconsin come onto the field, you see red. When you see TCU, you see black and some purple. When you see Oregon...who knows.

As for the "TCU has a history of using black". I thought that history only dated to the early 1990s...15 to 20 years of BFBS does not make it less BFBS. According to someone above, they were using it in the 1920s and 1930s (before BFBS really existed). I never knew that. I'd still prefer they go with the school colors either way though.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I wish they'd drop that black from the motion W. I also wish they'd drop it from the trim in basketball. I do find different degrees of sin, though, between this and schools without black going to black jerseys and (all the things Oregon does). If Wisconsin goes to a black jersey (which face it, could happen almost anywhere), I'll be the first to call it out as BFBS.

When you see Wisconsin come onto the field, you see red. When you see TCU, you see black and some purple. When you see Oregon...who knows.

As for the "TCU has a history of using black". I thought that history only dated to the early 1990s...15 to 20 years of BFBS does not make it less BFBS. According to someone above, they were using it in the 1920s and 1930s (before BFBS really existed). I never knew that. I'd still prefer they go with the school colors either way though.

I feel the same way (but, yes, TCU did use black way back in the 20s/30s).

I feel the same way (but, yes, TCU did use black way back in the 20s/30s).

tculeather.jpg

1st-game-acs.jpg

tcufbhst.jpg

.... not too sure about the second pic, but I know for certain that the first and third pic are of a black helmet.

Of course, there was a time when TCU used silver (also NOT an official color...)

tcu73.jpg

tcu93.jpg

tcu95.jpg

tcu97.jpg

This is why you see black and silver on TCU's uniforms. It's part of their history.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

As far as the best, I find myself favoring a lot of what we call "classic, iconic, simple:" Penn State, Alabama, LSU, UCLA.

I can never get behind what Oregon wears anymore. It all just looks overblown to me, like a bad designer's idea of what an eye-catching uniform ought to be from a distance.

And I know that they haven't worn them since 2005, but these:

temple2.jpg

temple.jpg

are almost perfect. The double-line of the logo, carried to the helmet stripe, carried to the jersey, is awesome. If they had double stripes on the pants they would be worthy of the Tate Modern. I realize why they don't wear them anymore, because they went like 0-75 in them, but still. Great uniforms.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

would like to see them let Nike add sparkly-charcole jerseys, flat black helmets, dull gray pants, white-on-white helmet decals, and who knows what else.

That's not me at all. I just think that Penn State's uniforms were perfect and the subtraction of the trim was totally unnecessary.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Someone mentioned Ohio being underrated...Just like the old Temple set, Ohio's current uniforms are two of the greatest uniforms in college football today:

ohio-bobcats1.jpg

2010-10-23-5911-JH.jpg

Oregon's Nike-fied non-green-and-yellow uniforms look like clown suits compared to these beauties.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived