Seahawks talking to Nike about 2012 changes

jfurdell

I have a question. Its been mentioned a few times in this thread and others that a full wrap around helmet logo is impossible due to the changes in helmet sizes. If this is so, how did they pull it off in the USFL? Both the Jacksonville Bulls and the Boston/New Orleans/Portland Breakers had full wrap around logos (and looked awesome, by the way).

I'm not actually advocating that Seattle do this... I like the stripe-wide split... just wondering way some think it can't be done.

It looks terrible (logo looks like a monster)

There are only a few extreme angles at which you can see both bird heads and the connection at the back of the helmet in this situation. I think you're blowing the two-headed monster issue out of proportion. You almost always only see one head, and when you can see two, even more rarely do you see the entirety of the graphic, connection and all.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I love the silver-green. Everyone else who wants to standardize wants the silver-green out. I think that's a defining color of theirs in a lot of ways.

Whipped this up with the cool pro combat template a while ago:

cowboysn.jpg

The silver-green isn't AS silver-green, I guess, but it's the only one now. No more black, either. Never got that.

That looks great. Nice work Commander.

Carry on...

BB52Big.jpg

I'd really like to see Seattle add a helmet stripe if they go back to silver. A blue/green/blue would look good. I think the new blue helmets look fine with no stripe, but I never could stand the old ones.

I'd really like to see Seattle add a helmet stripe if they go back to silver. A blue/green/blue would look good. I think the new blue helmets look fine with no stripe, but I never could stand the old ones.

With the same Seahawk logo? IMO, that would look ridiculous.

Agreed. It'd be like the hawk is flying into a wall. You don't put stripes on helmet with logos that depict forward motion from the mascot, as it creates an undesired "container" for them.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Watching the Stanley Cup finals in HD, I was struck by how much I love royal blue and kelly green as a color scheme.

mikael-samuelsson-jannik-hansen-vancouver-canucks-chicago-blackhawks-game-1-2011-stanley-cup-playoffs.jpg

Really pops on the ice, would look as good against a green field. I'd love to see the Seahawks ditch the drab and boring scheme in favor of their original colors.

Watching the Stanley Cup finals in HD, I was struck by how much I love royal blue and kelly green as a color scheme.

mikael-samuelsson-jannik-hansen-vancouver-canucks-chicago-blackhawks-game-1-2011-stanley-cup-playoffs.jpg

Really pops on the ice, would look as good against a green field. I'd love to see the Seahawks ditch the drab and boring scheme in favor of their original colors.

Royal and Kelly might be my all-time favorite sports color scheme. Whalers, Seahawks, Timberwolves, Mavericks, Gunslingers... I have a soft spot for every one of them. (Who am I forgeting?)

I think it could work like this. Cheap MS Paint rendering but my rear-view shows my stripe idea best.

Original colors:

seattle1.png

Modern colors:

seattle2.png

87Redskins.png

Glad to see some love for royal blue and kelly green. Seriously, those colors just go together.

Also, this might be just me, but I always thought the teams that dumped royal blue for navy switched to an inferior look.

Ditching royal for navy was fine in the beginning but then everyone did it and it lost its appeal. Similar to the "not another team with black" deal.

For me the key to overall league design success is to have as many solid, unique looks/colors as possible. Some will have to be duplicated, but 75%?... lazy, copy cats.

Does this mean each team in the NFL has the right to choose their own uniform makers?

No. Nike will make all NFL jerseys starting in 2012.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

One thing I've been thinking about for a while, is that a number of NFL teams use custom Reebok fabric colors...these will all (I would assume) need to be changed with the new Nike contract. A number of teams use these colors for fabric colors (in place of traditional Pantone Textile colors), but three teams use these custom colors for their spot colors for print - Seahawks Blue, Buccaneers Pewter, and 49ers Red. They do not provide a Pantone/PMS color for these colors as an alternate.

Archived