Seahawks talking to Nike about 2012 changes

jfurdell

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does it? All the necessary elements to reflect northwestern pacific coast native art are there. The old one looks flat and outdated. The new one looks like something a professional football team would use.

Huh? I thought the general opinion on here is that generic "angry animal" logos aren't befitting of pro teams. Now we're moving the goalposts?

If anyone had that opinion it wasn't me. I don't think I've ever taken that position.

The snarling, angry animal thing, like anything else, can either be done well or not. It's not a matter of what the logo is, it's how well it's executed. Just my opinion, but the Seahawks do it right.

But it also looks too modern for the style they're trying to imitate.

This isn't to pick on you...but I find that extremely funny, and quite contradictory, coming from the MLB TATC's biggest cheerleader. :P

Back on topic...I can understand what hawk36 was getting at as far as appreciating the style, or if nothing else, the influence, of the original 'Hawks logo. That said, what they effectively did with the update was keep that influence, but also make it more recognizeable to the rest of the nation. The current logo is actually my second-favorite NFL logo behind the Texans & ahead of my Buccaneers (not that that has anything to do with this discussion).

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The new one looks like something a professional football team would use.

And there in is the problem. Looks like what corporate types think looks like Native American art that the "kids will buy" rather than being a truer example of it. Nothing wrong with it but it lacks soul. Same can be said for so many of today's sports logos though.

This isn't to pick on you...but I find that extremely funny, and quite contradictory, coming from the MLB TATC's biggest cheerleader. :P

Why? They were going for a futuristic look with those TATC uniforms and achieved it. The previous Seahawks logo was an attempt to emulate Pacific Northwestern Indian art, and they achieved that look. The current Seahawks logo is a half-hearted blend of the old logo and the modern angry-animal logos of the 2000's. It's basically a bastardized version of the old logo with a drab color scheme and none of the original's charm, IMO.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Why? They were going for a futuristic look with those TATC uniforms and achieved it. The previous Seahawks logo was an attempt to emulate Pacific Northwestern Indian art, and they achieved that look. The current Seahawks logo is a half-hearted blend of the old logo and the modern angry-animal logos of the 2000's. It's basically a bastardized version of the old logo with a drab color scheme and none of the original's charm, IMO.

Since when did you start valuing 'charm' in sports logos and uniforms? The reality of it is, the new logo isn't a bastardized version of the old. The primary question is this: Do you think it's appropriate for a professional football team to use a completely authentic-looking piece of native art as its logo? Personally, I don't, and the new logo is a really great blend of northwest native art and modern sports art, which I think is perfectly appropriate for a professional football team. The Seahawks logo is not a drop in the bucket amongst a sea of 'angry animal' logos that came out in the late 90s/early 00s. It's the standard by which all of those are measured, and I can't think of a better example of an angry animal logo. The flatness and simplicity of it makes it such a great example. Verlander showed major restraint when he designed the logo. It's not overdone like so many of them are. I think the Seahawks logo might be able to include a pattern that comes from northwest native art, and it would look instantly unique, but it's still exemplary as is. Might also be nice to incorporate a native pattern into the uniform, similar to how the Grizzlies did in the 90s, but maybe not quite as garish.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

What about this?

NFLConcept-SeattleSeahawks2012.png

It's executed nicely, and I can see the appeal of a vibrant compromise like this, but still a downgrade.

34y7eo5.jpg

You know what they say, "Traditionalist's can go die in a hole if they don't like it."

Bigdub81, that is a great compromise of the new and old look. I am very on the fence about which look I like more. I grew up watching the Seahawks with the old look, but the newer look has definitely grown on me. I like what you did with the whole concept. The lime green stripe replacing the Seahawk blue stripe on the logo and helmet is a great move. I think they should incorporate a little more of the green without overdoing it. I also like what you did with the pants striping. I like the older stripe feel to it. I am not really sold on the white pants though. I was hoping they would retain the silver in their color scheme. But if it has to be blue jersey and white pants at home, then I hope the white pants have the same striping pattern. I, for one, personally like the monochrome look (I know I am in the minority on that one). :grin:

The old Seahawks logo looks like it's sad. The new one looks like it wants to kill you.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

The old Seahawks logo looks like it's sad. The new one looks like it wants to kill you.

I prefer "dazed and confused" changed to "Grrr! I'm so angry!"

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I prefer "dazed and confused" changed to "Grrr! I'm so angry!"

I don't know about dazed and confused. It has a frowny face on it. Maybe it's emotionally dazed and confused?

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

The more I think about the lightblue/silver metallic idea seems like a perfect use for the old current Cowboys blue/silver pants that never matched don't match the rest of their uniform.

cowboysblue.jpg

There we go.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived