Atlanta Thrashers Graphics Retrospective

TruColor

I thought I'd let everyone know that I put together a post on my blog that goes through the various logos and uniform graphics used by the Thrashers during their time in the ATL:

Atlanta Thrashers (NHL): RGB-Optimized Logos and Uniforms (2000-2011)

As always, sportslogos.net is welcome to use any or all logos I post there.

Questions, comments, criticisms, etc. are welcome either here on this forum, or in the comments section of the blog.

The original Powder Blue jersey used until 2007 was the best of the bunch. The sleeve with "Atlanta" going down the side looked less out of place with the addition of hem stripes and a non tapered yoke. In fact, Atlanta's Pre-Edge identity looked fine. Its a shame it got completely butchered with the introduction of the Edge Uniform System.

Great post Colorwerx, I particularly enjoyed the description of the colours.

That original white jersey was a beauty; I'm glad I got ahold of one of those.

I think that one looked good too. The road counterpart would've been better had it used the same crest as the home white; the primary logo was bad design, but it stood on its own as a hockey primary better than the batman bird ever did. The color scheme was nice, but part of me wonders if it was a little too sophisticated. Hard to "get behind the dark blue, dark red, bronze, and light blue."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Interesting reading about the original color scheme. Indeed, it would have been near impossible to consistently reproduce when metallic shades were used on the uniforms, however I feel that I have some Thrashers merchandise from back in the day that uses colors that diverge slightly from what they used once they started playing, a little bit closer to the original scheme. I'll try to dig them up, chances are it was just a slight error in the production of this merchandise, but I know for a fact I have some stuff where the colors always seemed a little "off". More specifically, I think it was the "copper" color that looked wrong, maybe closer to the "capitol copper" shade.

The original Powder Blue jersey used until 2007 was the best of the bunch.

I consider it the worst NHL jersey of all time--worse than the flying V, even. Well, ok, not worst: its Edge counterpart was somehow worse.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

love it all. own them all.. Blueland forever...ill miss you boys. So much joy was brought to my life by this game and this team, only to have it ripped from my life...i feel like a piece of ME has been stomped on and tossed out in the trash. Thank you for this. Once a believer, always a believer. :cry:

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

Wow, great post ColorWerx! I had no idea Atlanta had a different color scheme at the beginning. I rather like it, actually. It would have been interesting to see what thier uniforms would have looked like in that scheme. Thanks for the great info, as always!

And I have to say, as much as the history buff in me is excited for Winnipeg, it's going to be weird as hell to not have a team in Atlanta for me at least. You see, for a kid my age (19), the "southern wave" teams like Atlanta, Nashville, Carolina, Phoenix, etc., are all...not to get cheesy, but...staples for me when it comes to the NHL. What I mean by that is they have always been a part of league for me, as long as I can remember. I know more are to follow, and it does suck to see these transitions start (Phoenix especially will be weird - a team I have always followed among others), but they are more than likely inevitable, so you just gotta let it happen.

And Atlanta, while maybe never being a shining beacon of a franchise, did have some fans who passionately cared about the team, some here on these boards. To them I say I'm very sorry, I'm sure it's tough to see them go. I know I'd be pretty saddened if the Jazz or RSL were to ever leave Utah, so I can imagine it's the same for those who did love the Thrashers.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I consider it the worst NHL jersey of all time--worse than the flying V, even. Well, ok, not worst: its Edge counterpart was somehow worse.

What is so bad about it? It used Atlanta's colour palette in a vibrant original way (especially compared to the dull Navy's), sported classy yet unique horizontal stripes, a nice looking lace up collar and an element never seen in a hockey jersey before going completely off the deep end. I own an Authentic of this jersey and it looks spectacular.

Perhaps you could elaborate why this is worse than the Flying V...

What is so bad about it? It used Atlanta's colour palette in a vibrant original way (especially compared to the dull Navy's), sported classy yet unique horizontal stripes, a nice looking lace up collar and an element never seen in a hockey jersey before going completely off the deep end. I own an Authentic of this jersey and it looks spectacular.

Perhaps you could elaborate why this is worse than the Flying V...

Because it's a disorganized uniform. It is two ideas thrown together on one jersey. You have one half of the jersey that has Atlanta down the side and vertical striping that goes from the neck to the arm, while the other side has no striping and a number. The colors are good, but the execution is and always has been horrible and it's a good thing that the team is now in Winnipeg so we can put those horrible uniforms to rest.

I thought I'd let everyone know that I put together a post on my blog that goes through the various logos and uniform graphics used by the Thrashers during their time in the ATL:

Questions, comments, criticisms, etc. are welcome either here on this forum, or in the comments section of the blog.

Thanks for this. Any chance the Jets (if they indeed are the Jets) change their red-white-blue scheme to be me copper-white-navy or copper-white-ice blue as an homage to the Thrashers? At least the Atlanta Flames' A is "immortalized" on the Flames jersey, which is really cool in my opinion. Is there anything we can take away from ATL this time?

I did hear of the possibility of calling this team the Threshers (i read it, i swear !) because of the farming/ agricultural angle, but it's going to be tough to give them a nod in any sort of way. I was thinking that if they got the Yotes back, they might have been able to use the crescent moon for their captain "C" or something like that. I realize this is outting me as a dork for even taking 5 seconds to consider these things...

I do like Threshers too, but I realize it's not going to happen. Seems unlikely they'd dredge up a logo this late in the game, so I think it'll be Jets or Moose unless they've been working on an identity all of this time.

I liked the Thrashers name though. I might have to borrow it for one of my fake sports leagues.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Anyone thinking TNSE doesn't have all of their identity and uniform angles covered, and hasn't had them covered for at least a year, is delusional.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Thanks for this. Any chance the Jets (if they indeed are the Jets) change their red-white-blue scheme to be me copper-white-navy or copper-white-ice blue as an homage to the Thrashers? At least the Atlanta Flames' A is "immortalized" on the Flames jersey, which is really cool in my opinion. Is there anything we can take away from ATL this time?

I did hear of the possibility of calling this team the Threshers (i read it, i swear !) because of the farming/ agricultural angle, but it's going to be tough to give them a nod in any sort of way. I was thinking that if they got the Yotes back, they might have been able to use the crescent moon for their captain "C" or something like that. I realize this is outting me as a dork for even taking 5 seconds to consider these things...

I do like Threshers too, but I realize it's not going to happen. Seems unlikely they'd dredge up a logo this late in the game, so I think it'll be Jets or Moose unless they've been working on an identity all of this time.

I liked the Thrashers name though. I might have to borrow it for one of my fake sports leagues.

Anyone thinking TNSE doesn't have all of their identity and uniform angles covered, and hasn't had them covered for at least a year, is delusional.

Oh, so close. Another Winnipeg thread now. :rolleyes:

Is there anything we can take away from ATL this time? ... I was thinking that if they got the Yotes back, they might have been able to use the crescent moon for their captain "C" or something like that. I realize this is outting me as a dork for even taking 5 seconds to consider these things...

:lol:

Glad I'm not the only one who has been thinking about these things.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

It would be very cool if they used the A Thrasher logo head as an alternate captain logo.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Archived