NHL OFFSEASON - 2011

charger77

Bryzgalov did well with the Coyotes because he played behind Tippett's drag-them-down-to-our-level scheme. Unfortunately (well, for them), the Red Wings chose not to be dragged down to the Coyotes' level, and instead sliced through the muck and teed off on Bryzgalov. He's a pretty good goalie, but we're at a point where just about every

goalie is at least a pretty good one, except for the ones on the Flyers. It's a buyer's market for goalies until further notice; no one should get $7MM a year to goaltend anymore, but the Flyers still ought to lock him up to a semi-handsome deal.

As for the Coyotes, I wonder if they'd be interested in the services of Cristobal Huet, who otherwise needs to be re-exiled to Switzerland before next season starts. The Coyotes have a lot of money coming off the books, and will need to put a lot on just to hit the floor. Given the long-term uncertainty of the franchise, they're probably not going to be able to sign a lot of long-term contracts. Why not take

a veteran NHL goaltender on an expiring contract whose inflated salary will allow you to reach floor? Don Maloney intimated a few months ago that if the team were to go to Winnipeg, he was tearing it all down and starting from scratch, but if it stayed put, he'd try to jury-rig another year out of the jalopy like he had been doing, which is to say

with a motley assortment of desperate hangers-on who don't want to move somewhere cold. And if it turns out they do move to Quebec City, having a French goaltender in the organization primes the pump for that. All we as Hawks fans ask for is a 7th round pick.

Um, no. You're 100% wrong on Bryz doing well because of Tippett's system. He was in Phoenix for a few years before Tippett was there and did very well. Heck he played well in Anaheim also. It's not Dave Tippett's system, Bryz is a top 10 goaltender end of story. On the list of the top 10 goaltenders, you have as follows:

1. Tim Thomas

2. Jonas Hiller

3. Luongo (as much as I hate to say it)

4. Carey Price

5. Bryz

6. Ryan Miller

7. Pekka Rinne

8. Antti Niemi

9. Marty Turco

10. Jonathan Quick

Turco #9? He wasn't even starting at the end of the year. I would put King Henrik or Jimmy Howard on the list instead of him.

Yeah, if Turco is #9, then Crawford needs to be on that list too since Crawford basically took his job as soon as the calendar hit 2011.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As per The Hockey News:

A report out of Columbus (citing multiple sources) claimed the Blue Jackets and Flyers were working on a potential blockbuster deal that would send center Jeff Carter to Columbus in exchange for a top-six forward (possibly right winger Jakub Voracek) and the Blue Jackets? first round pick (eighth overall) in this year's draft.

Left this little blurp out.

Flyers GM Paul Holmgren denied the report, but there's no question he'll have to clear cap space to make room for Bryzgalov.

Not ruling out Jeff Carter as the guy to move, but guys like Kris Versteeg and Matt Carle would be much easier.

Also was Marty Turco on anyone's radar outside of that great 2008 Playoff run?

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Although if they move 3 or 4 smaller-salary guys, then they have to replace 3 or 4 guys on the roster, while trading Carter would let them acquire a couple of young guys to help re-stock the future there in Philly.

This is the thought process of most Jackets fans, unfortunately: "OMG! We need a top player to go with Nash! OMG! There's no way we could ever give up Jake Voracek!"

You can't have both. And I'd much rather have Jeff Carter. There's no time for "potential" to pan out right now. The Jackets might be gone in two years when Voracek is finally an "all-star." That wouldn't do us any good, now would it, Jackets fans? The potential's there, sure, but we need the guy who's going to be a driving force to get the Jackets into contention as being one of the top teams in the West. Carter is that guy. Voracek might be that guy... for les Bleu Jackets.

6fQjS3M.png

Why would Carter sign a giant extension with a no-trade if he were just going to get traded before it kicked in? "I don't know where I'm gonna go, but wherever it is, I want to stay there"? Carter (minus Voracek) isn't enough to make the Jackets an instant contender, so he'd just languish for a few years. Better off keeping Voracek and the 8th.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well I look at Jeff Carter and just see him as a Olli Jokinen duplicate from his Florida days. Shoot first, pass second. Rick Nash needs that number one passing centre. Granted guys like him and Jarome Iginla can do it by themselves but there will be a point in time where they need that one wish every team in the league wishes they had, a legit number one guy leading the charge.

Is Ryan Johansen that guy? Could be we won't know for a few years, so if I'm the Jackets use that 8th Overall pick to grab a legit number on guy on the back end. Jake Voracek is growing and every year just gets a bit better.

and that's the question. Do you use the pick to trade for the thing you need (solid puck moving defenseman, PP quarterback) or do you, by virtue of having the opportunity, use the pick to take a run at Jeff Carter?

Voracek has potential and Johan has truckloads of potential, but this team needs to win now. They can't continue to wait for these guys to get ready while doing nothing else to make the rest of the team better.

It's going to be (by Columbus standards) an interesting off-season in Columbus, that's for sure.

Oh, and the Blue Jackets resigned Grant Clitsome today so two more years of those jokes in Columbus.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I wonder why?

I know the venues are really limited to Calgary and Edmonton for now, and both already had it (albeit it a few years ago for the Oilers), but there has to be a better reason than just that. Did it not make the type of money/make the ratings that the NHL wanted?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I wonder why?

I know the venues are really limited to Calgary and Edmonton for now, and both already had it (albeit it a few years ago for the Oilers), but there has to be a better reason than just that. Did it not make the type of money/make the ratings that the NHL wanted?

Montreal was unavailable to play in it. :P

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I've never really been blown away with Jeff Carter's play.

Maybe it's just because I only watch him play 4 games a year (at least, 4 games where I'm actually paying attention for the entirity of the game), but he's always seemed to be kinda invisible when's he's played the Thrashers, which were never known for their defensive prowess.

I wonder why?

...and Winnipeg...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I wonder why?

...and Winnipeg...

CanadInns could do it but with the new stadium getting built for next year they could have it for 2012-13.

The Wild reportedly have made their chioce for new head coach. Mike Yeo who coached the Wild's minor league team in Houston this year and led them to the championship game but lost. IMO, they could have gotten somebody with more experience like MacTavish or Hitchcock. Oh well, 3rd place here we come!

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Wild_call_media_conference_reportedly_will_name_Mike_Yeo_head_coach061611

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

Olie Kolzig has been hired as associate goaltending coach for the Caps. Our young goalies are gonna need therapy...

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

You complain about the Minnesota Wild's pervasive mediocrity and then suggest that they hire Ken Hitchcock? I couldn't think of a better way for them to say "welp, we're a hockey team, sometimes we put on skates and have games, we play an important role in there being 30 teams" than for them to hire freaking Ken Hitchcock in this day and age.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived