NHL OFFSEASON - 2011

charger77

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Yes and no. Yes, he makes a fortune, but when there's no protection there and he's left hung out to dry, it's a different story.

Now saying that, I don't agree that excuses an 8-goal performance, and he clearly should have been pulled long before then. But he also has a reasonable expectation that (on, for example, the first goal in game 7) that his defensemen should be able to clear a puck out of the area, or that basic defense is being played. That's something he just didn't have in Boston or in game 7.

Did travel catch up to them? Injuries? A combination of both? Probably. Thomas had a luxury of two or three other players converging on the Boston net whenever there was a shot or a scrum near the crease. Vancouver just wasn't able to respond. Boston was able to make their own luck as well, and the Canucks just weren't up to it.

Hopefully my history of posts confirms that I'm not a huge Luongo fan, but I'm not going to hang everything on him, either.

Like I said, I agree with you for the most part. However, Boston had travel and injuries too.

For me, if you have a Vezina finalist in net I don't think its completely unreasonable to expect him to allow 1 or no goals in elimination games.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Alright so the Sked actually does get released today.

Regular season schedule gets released in a few days.

Some teams have released their preseason schedules. Interesting game on September 23 when the Dallas Stars "host" the Phoenix Coyotes at Reliant Stadium in Houston.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyotes/articles/2011/06/21/20110621phoenix-coyotes-nhl-preseason-schedule.html

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2011/6/21/2235585/dallas-stars-to-play-pre-season-game-at-reliant-stadium-in-houston

Alright so the Sked actually does get released today.

Regular season schedule gets released in a few days.

Some teams have released their preseason schedules. Interesting game on September 23 when the Dallas Stars "host" the Phoenix Coyotes at Reliant Stadium in Houston.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyotes/articles/2011/06/21/20110621phoenix-coyotes-nhl-preseason-schedule.html

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2011/6/21/2235585/dallas-stars-to-play-pre-season-game-at-reliant-stadium-in-houston

Uh... wait. I'm sorry... but... WHAT?

NHL game in an outdoor football stadium in the winter in a northernly environment in the home city of an NHL team between opponents with a good following? Yeah, sure I get that. You could make that an event and sell it out no problem.

Preseason NHL game in a closed-roof/ultra-air-conditioned stadium in the fall in southernly environment not in the home city of an NHL team, but the AHL team of a different NHL team against an opponent with a scarce following? Yeah good luck with that one.

Outside of anything Glendale related, this might seem like the dumbest NHL idea in a while, and there have been a lot.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Or maybe they're testing the waters for Houston as a potential landing spot for the coyotes next season.

At Reliant?? Where the Texans play??

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Or maybe they're testing the waters for Houston as a potential landing spot for the coyotes next season.

Could be testing the waters, a huge crowd looks good if that is the goal of the operation. Also they could be showing that a Winter Classic could work in the south.

That was my first thought though, even if the game's at Reliant.

I'm wondering if the Minnesota or Houston ownership was against hosting a game not involving them in the Toyota Center.

Could be testing the waters, a huge crowd looks good if that is the goal of the operation. Also they could be showing that a Winter Classic could work in the south.

A small crowd confirms what they already know, that Houston wouldnt be a good NHL town. Testing for a Southern Winter Classic is possible too, but theres so many other cold areas that could get one, that should be far down the line.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

or it could be that Compaq is busy on the dates they're looking at, or...

Reliant will be a cavern, yes, but look at it this way- anything around 12,000 and up, and the NHL takes notice. Put another team in Texas, and suddenly Dallas isn't so concerned about playing all of their road games in the Pacific time zone.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Testing it for a Winter Classic seems silly, because it's going to have to be domed up and the A/C has to run on high for at least a week for that to work. Having a WC in a domed stadium kind of defeats the purpose of the spectacle.

Testing for the Coyotes seems like a possibility as well, but again it just seems silly to do in at Reliant Stadium. I guess I see your point too, Lee. a 12,000-13,000+ number might be of interest to the NHL. But that's assuming that number is there to actually watch the hockey game and not because it's a "interesting" event. Then there has to be an ownership group interested in dealing with the NHL's shenanigans and move the team to Houston and work with the Toyota Center and the Aeros to make the moves all work out.

Still not sold on all that, but again doesn't seem any crazier than the NHL's track record at this point.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Testing it for a Winter Classic seems silly, because it's going to have to be domed up and the A/C has to run on high for at least a week for that to work. Having a WC in a domed stadium kind of defeats the purpose of the spectacle.

Testing for the Coyotes seems like a possibility as well, but again it just seems silly to do in at Reliant Stadium. I guess I see your point too, Lee. a 12,000-13,000+ number might be of interest to the NHL. But that's assuming that number is there to actually watch the hockey game and not because it's a "interesting" event. Then there has to be an ownership group interested in dealing with the NHL's shenanigans and move the team to Houston and work with the Toyota Center and the Aeros to make the moves all work out.

Still not sold on all that, but again doesn't seem any crazier than the NHL's track record at this point.

If you think it can't be done, you forget that the Kings and Rangers played an outdoor game in Vegas, so with technology what it is today, it will go off and go off well. Heck, we all know it will out draw any crowd in Phoenix. Heck, two people showing up will out draw Phoenix!

Slightly OT, but need some help. I'm going to be discontinuing my cable service, not sure if there's an alternative way to watch hockey games online. Google provided few answers, anybody know of something the NHL would offer?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Slightly OT, but need some help. I'm going to be discontinuing my cable service, not sure if there's an alternative way to watch hockey games online. Google provided few answers, anybody know of something the NHL would offer?

Isn't there something like a Center Ice Package that can be accessed off of NHL.com?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Archived