2011-12 European football thread

Viper

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But they sure put up a hell of a fight.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Rangers cannot get a license for UEFA competitions if they are still in administration at the end of the month. Should this happen, it'll mean we see the first team outside the Old Firm to qualify for what is now the Champions League since Aberdeen reached the quarterfinals of the 1985-86 European Cup.

LvZYtbZ.png

Rangers cannot get a license for UEFA competitions if they are still in administration at the end of the month. Should this happen, it'll mean we see the first team outside the Old Firm to qualify for what is now the Champions League since Aberdeen reached the quarterfinals of the 1985-86 European Cup.

with Sir Alex Ferguson as manager.

But in the circumstances would UEFA allow the 3rd place Scottish team into the ECL? Not sure what the rules are there.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

That'll be absolutely surreal.

However, I too wonder if UEFA would allow a third place Scottish team into the CL while denying a team from any other country that'll probably be worlds better.

spacer.png

That'll be absolutely surreal.

However, I too wonder if UEFA would allow a third place Scottish team into the CL while denying a team from any other country that'll probably be worlds better.

The rules are clear here. Scotland is entitled two squads in the Champions League. It's not unprecedented for UEFA to permit a lower-ranked side in at the expense of a higher-ranked team - usually in countries like Romania and Ireland.

ETA: I think we can call that a statement win for Barca. Six-nil over Leverkusen at the moment, Messi with four.

LvZYtbZ.png

Ho. Ly. :censored:.

Lionel Messi is on another planet right now, first player in the Champions League to score five goals in one game as Barca put seven past Leverkusen.

Also, Lionel Messi now has as many hat tricks this season as Fernando Torres has goals, still think he was worth £50 million Chelsea ^_^

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Messi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everyone else.

Also Apoel is battling Lyon in extra time to decide who goes through to the Quarters. Just imagine if Apoel could pull this off.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

MESSIMESSIMESSIMESSIMESSIMESSIMESSIMESSIMESSI

And to round off an amazing night of Champions League action APOEL Nicosia beat Lyon on penalties to become the first Cypriot team ever to make the CL last 8.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Yeah, APOEL!

So, we've got AC Milan, Benfica, Barça, and APOEL through so far. Who does everyone else like to join them?

I'll take Napoli, Real Madrid, Basel, and Marseille to be the other four quarterfinalists. I'll really be pulling for the Army Boys to knock off Real Madrid at the Bernabeu next week, though!

6fQjS3M.png

Yeah, APOEL!

So, we've got AC Milan, Benfica, Barça, and APOEL through so far. Who does everyone else like to join them?

I'll take Napoli, Real Madrid, Basel, and Marseille to be the other four quarterfinalists. I'll really be pulling for the Army Boys to knock off Real Madrid at the Bernabeu next week, though!

Of the remaining teams, I'm pulling for Marseille.

spacer.png

The gunners fall one goal short

And of course, I got suckered in by that insane first half. I should have known it was just going to be a big tease.

I do like the Gunners' Top 4 chances the rest of the way in the Premiership, though. Heck, they're just 4 points out of 3rd with 11 games left. Back in September I never would have guessed they'd be in such good shape at this point in the campaign.

CCSLC signature.png

The gunners fall one goal short

And of course, I got suckered in by that insane first half. I should have known it was just going to be a big tease.

I do like the Gunners' Top 4 chances the rest of the way in the Premiership, though. Heck, they're just 4 points out of 3rd with 11 games left. Back in September I never would have guessed they'd be in such good shape at this point in the campaign.

It's amazing what a difference a couple of weeks can make. Arsenal are right now THE form team in the EPL. Not beyond them to catch Spurs for 3rd (especially considering it's Spurs).

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Five goals in a game... I'm not one to follow soccer (outside of MLS), but this is a huge achievement for Messi. It just solidifies the fact that he is the best player in the world right now. Nobody else can touch him. Nobody.

And congrats to APOEL for reaching the Champions League Elite Eight. Teams like AC Milan and Barcalona are the kind of team you expect to be there because they are so good... Then you get these feel good stories like APOEL, who has done more for the sport in Cyprus then the national team could ever do (unless they qualify for the 2014 World Cup).

To me, the feel good stories are the best ones and I hope that APOEL somehow, someway wins it all. It's not likely, but come on... Wouldn't it be great for European soccer to see someone who isn't a traditional juggernaut win the Champions League?

Five goals in a game... I'm not one to follow soccer (outside of MLS), but this is a huge achievement for Messi. It just solidifies the fact that he is the best player in the world right now. Nobody else can touch him. Nobody.

And congrats to APOEL for reaching the Champions League Elite Eight. Teams like AC Milan and Barcalona are the kind of team you expect to be there because they are so good... Then you get these feel good stories like APOEL, who has done more for the sport in Cyprus then the national team could ever do (unless they qualify for the 2014 World Cup).

To me, the feel good stories are the best ones and I hope that APOEL somehow, someway wins it all. It's not likely, but come on... Wouldn't it be great for European soccer to see someone who isn't a traditional juggernaut win the Champions League?

It wouldn't just be great for European soccer. It'd be great for soccer internationally. If Marseille (my Ligue Un club) fall short, I'm APOEL all the way.

spacer.png

It wouldn't just be great for European soccer. It'd be great for soccer internationally. If Marseille (my Ligue Un club) fall short, I'm APOEL all the way.

Cyprus could have more ECL quarter finalists this year than England.

I don't actually totally agree that Apoel winning would be great for footy, although I think the idea that money isn't needed in order to be succesful. But the ECL has grown on the back of being a glamourous competition, with big teams in it. Not sure that everyone will be delighted that Apoel are in the quarter finals when a bunch of more fancied teams are missing.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived