2011-12 European football thread

Viper

Forward Park Chu-Young, backliners Per Mertesacker and Andre Santos, and now playmaking middie Mikel Arteta, all brought to Emirates in the past 48 hours or so. And with the international break this weekend, Arsène Wenger will have over a week to get them adjusted and prepared for Swansea on the 10th.

I guess when Wenger does finally get it in his head to make it rain, he makes it pour.

And now Yossi Benayoun is a Gunner as well.

I've been following soccer for a while now, but am a little confused on the transfer window logistics. So Benayoun is out on loan to Arsenal, but Chelsea couldn't dictate where he would go? And Chelsea got nothing in return?

Chelsea still own Benayoun's contract, and could have decided not to let Benayoun go to Arsenal. Probably Arsenal are paying a good portion of his contract whilst he is at the Gunners, at the least (they may be paying it all). So Chelsea got a decent amount of money cleared from the payroll. (Also Benayoun isn't allowed to play against Chelsea).

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arsenal catches a break for a change, as Swansea's goalie throws Arshavin a gift goal. (His throw bounced off a teammate's leg and right to Arshavin.)

Update: The Gunners looked really lethargic in the second half, but finally break into the win column.

CCSLC signature.png

Barcelona opened up a can on Osasuna, 8-0. I dont care what team youre playing, thats damn impressive. Messi with 3, Villa with 2, Cesc, Xavi with goals. They were a bit miffed after consecutive draws.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Nice job by Arsenal on the weekend, scoring five goals....

The Gunners always have trouble in Ewood Park, but Saturday's effort was brutal even by those standards. At least they didn't have anyone get sent off this time, though.

CCSLC signature.png

Bayern Munich's new slogan: "Come for the football, stay for the live sex shows in the stands."

... so, there was more scoring off the pitch than on...

You could say that.

Speaking of lack of scoring on the pitch, following Arsenal's latest dreadful performance at White Hart Lane, Grantland's Chris Ryan has neatly encapsulated the Gunners' woes in a single paragraph:

You have to wonder how much more of this Wenger is going to put up with. This is a man who fundamentally changed the English game, who introduced the world to some of the most entertaining and beautiful football and players we've seen in the past 20 years. Don't forget, Wenger is also the one who tried to create a financially sustainable and competitive model for Arsenal in the face of financial doping going on all around him. And what does he get? He is now the manager for a Manchester City and Barcelona feeder club who shows up to work every weekend to watch a team that seems to have stopped listening to him. And for good measure, thousands of bald men with personality disorders sing about him being a pedophile. Seriously, life is too short and this is just a game. And on Sunday, it wasn't anywhere near beautiful.

I reiterate: The moment Arsenal is eliminated from this year's Champions' League, consider Wenger's days there numbered. The only question is, will he jump, or be pushed? (My mythical money's on him jumping.)

CCSLC signature.png

Crazy last day of Euro 2012 qualifying.

Teams that assured a spot in Poland/Ukraine.

Poland

Ukraine

Germany

Russia

Italy

France or Bosnia

Netherlands

Greece

England

Denmark

Spain

Sweden - Best runner up

France and Bosnia are currently battling for the right to be the winner of Group D. Bosnia is winning 1-0

Teams assured of at least a Playoff spot. (Top 4 qualify) Draw on Thursday

Turkey

Ireland

Estonia or Serbia

France or Bosnia

Croatia

Montenegro

Portugal

Czech Republic or Scotland

- Estonia is off today, but Serbia is currently losing to Slovenia, if they lose Estonia clinches a playoff spot. (That forfeited game against Italy last fall is really gonna hurt the Serbs.)

- Czech Republic is beating Lithuania, and Scotland is currently losing to Spain. Looks like the Czech Republic will get the playoff spot.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Archived