2011-12 European football thread

Viper

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Villa depress me. I'm going to run down Alan Hutton with a car.

Ugh, I know. This clip is all you need to know about being a Villa supporter right now...

eqa0i1.jpg

Also, Darren Bent is getting the fewest touches of any player in the EPL right now.

10 reasons for us Villa supporters to be happy. ^_^

Sigh...

Villa have spent the last 18 months working out just how good a manager Martin O'Neill is. Sunderland have lucked out on him.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Ugh, I know. This clip is all you need to know about being a Villa supporter right now...

eqa0i1.jpg

Also, Darren Bent is getting the fewest touches of any player in the EPL right now.

Sigh...

Villa have spent the last 18 months working out just how good a manager Martin O'Neill is. Sunderland have lucked out on him.

I'm fine without MON, but I really miss Houllier.

eqa0i1.jpg

Sigh...

Very funny!!! Oh you weren't joking??

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Basel up 2-nil over Man U with a few minutes left.

Amazing...they seemed unmotivated.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Considering some of the players he was rumoured to have been interested in over the summer, and we end up with Alan Hutton instead? No, very much not joking.

I can take three pieces of solace from Man City being knocked out of the Champions League:

• They at least got some CL experience. This was the first foray into the Champions League for a good chunk of the squad, so now that they have the experience and know what it's like to play CL football, they can build on that and get better in preparation for the next campaign.
  • They at least took care of business against Bayern's B-Team and went out on a classy note.
  • They at least get to share this "relegation" to the Europa League with their crosstown rivals. :lol:

I can take three pieces of solace from Man City being knocked out of the Champions League:

• They at least got some CL experience. This was the first foray into the Champions League for a good chunk of the squad, so now that they have the experience and know what it's like to play CL football, they can build on that and get better in preparation for the next campaign.
  • They at least took care of business against Bayern's B-Team and went out on a classy note.
  • They at least get to share this "relegation" to the Europa League with their crosstown rivals. :lol:

You could also add them being and the group of death, no shame in losing to Napoli and Bayern.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Considering some of the players he was rumoured to have been interested in over the summer, and we end up with Alan Hutton instead? No, very much not joking.

Exactly.

In that case you need to get realistic about expectations. Villa aren't a big 6 team, Lerner's money or not. Houllier hardly delivered a fantastic team last season, albeit in tough circumstances. Villa have taken several steps back since O'Neill left, he is one of the best managers around, and he doesn't need millions of pounds to develop good teams.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Exactly.

In that case you need to get realistic about expectations. Villa aren't a big 6 team, Lerner's money or not. Houllier hardly delivered a fantastic team last season, albeit in tough circumstances. Villa have taken several steps back since O'Neill left, he is one of the best managers around, and he doesn't need millions of pounds to develop good teams.

By no means do I think Villa would be near top 4 with Houllier. But they at least wouldn't be a depressing ball of depression with him.

And I'm sorry, MON signed Habib Beye, Steve Sidwell and other to huge contracts and didn't play them. Alienated perfectly capable players in Nigel Reo-Coker and. Luke Young. Held back people like Barry Bannan. And then threw a hissy fit and left the club 5 days before the season, when Lerner wouldn't give him more money to sign someone else useless. He is vastly overrated, and I do not miss him.

Noone in the last 20 years has come close to making Villa a real powerhouse in English soccer than O'Neill. O'Neill had Villa around the top 6 or 7 consistently. O'Neill got Wycombe, Leicester and Celtic all punching above their weight. Their aren't many managers who've been as consistently succesful over 20 years, but O'Neill has.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Swiss FA is currently in hot water with UEFA.

The Swiss Football Association has until 13 January to follow Fifa's instructions on the registration ban imposed on Sion or face a suspension, which would mean Basel's expulsion from the Champions League. Uefa confirmed this could lead to [Manchester United] returning to the competition as they finished third behind Basel in the group stage. Another option could be that Bayern Munich, drawn against Basel in the last 16, are given a bye.

STOP MESSING AROUND, SWITZERLAND!!!

Swiss FA is currently in hot water with UEFA.

The Swiss Football Association has until 13 January to follow Fifa's instructions on the registration ban imposed on Sion or face a suspension, which would mean Basel's expulsion from the Champions League. Uefa confirmed this could lead to [Manchester United] returning to the competition as they finished third behind Basel in the group stage. Another option could be that Bayern Munich, drawn against Basel in the last 16, are given a bye.

STOP MESSING AROUND, SWITZERLAND!!!

OK, if that happens... who will take United's Europa league spot?

I saw, I came, I left.

Nice to see the Gunners' back line bringing their "A" game against an elite opponent for a change. Even the keeper Sczeczny's looking sharp today. Arsenal really has come a long way from the catastrophe at Old Trafford.

CCSLC signature.png

Archived