Sportsman in spectacles

Saintsfan

Over here, ESPN have been showing some classic Monday Night Football games. I was watching them play the 1978 Oilers Dolphins game, and there is Bob Griese playing NFL football wearing glasses. I guess a few baseball players and holders and the odd tennis player has wore specs. But can anyone think of any other unlikely bespectacled sportsmen?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

You're talking about actual glasses, right? Like not sports goggles?

Certainly can't remember many in the NBA other than Kurt Rambis, but I think those were more sports-goggly.

A bunch of guys used to in the MLB. For some reason, Tom Henke comes to mind.

The most recent player I remember wearing actual glasses was in the '90s was Orestes Destrade.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Whoa. Doesn't work in football. Really works for baseball, though. I guess it's because having 20/20 vision seems like a really good idea when you're dealing with that kind of precise timing and location.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Jimmy B!

boeheim_player.jpg

As someone who wears glasses, I went without them for soccer but kept them on in lacrosse. A lot of lacrosse goalies (at least at the high school level) preferred wearing glasses over contacts when I was playing (I was an attackman FWIW).

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Not glasses, technically, but the first person I thought of was Chris Sabo and his Rec-Specs. (Great minds, DG.... :D )

On topic, however, I remember that quite a few of the Angels' World Series-winning bullpen wore the yellow shades.

Brendan-Donnelly.jpg

Brendan Donnelly

francisco-rodriguez.jpg

K-Rod

45-t1084060-500.jpg

Ben Weber

I really thought Scot Shields did, too, but I can't seem to find a shot of it.

I played old man softball in my...I guess you might call them Weezer glasses. Or Buddy Holly glasses if you're old or something.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Archived