Most Unoriginal Logo/Jersey in Sports

BigBubba

Another "unoriginal" from the NFL....

LogoHistory.png

EDIT: What timing. Someone just beat me to this.

The best part of their logo is the fact that it was the Cleveland based company, Republic Steel that talked the Steelers into adopting the logo back in 1962. Pittsburgh always listening to their older, better looking and wiser brother, Cleveland. :P

Ugh, don't remind me we had anything to do with the Steelers' identity.

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

You mad because the Tribe is stylin' on you?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fleur-de-lis as an aigu was too clever by half. It doesn't look anything like what it's supposed to be, so it's just free-floating Frenchness. Beautiful script of a beautiful name, otherwise.

See, I never liked the road much. I think if you use navy primarily and red as a secondary, red can be used in as the primary color on the wordmark (such as with the Indians and Braves). However, it doesn't look right with royal blue and red. Think of how silly any red Cubs merchandise looks or the Rangers wearing red hats with their home jerseys. I actually feel the same way about orange - you can swap it with navy but not royal. If the blue and red were swapped on the Expos' road set, I think I would have liked it a lot more.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I don't think they look stupid, and the reason you gave against them was they weren't around when laces were originally used.

So I asked, "So What?"

But as for thinking they look stupid, that's different, and you're entitled to think that.

I am also entitled to like them, and I do.

Obviously other people do as well.

I liked them before they came back.

So I'm not jumping on a bandwagon.

I wondered for years why they went away.

So yeah, I like them.

They may not fit every jersey--but they fit this one.

Which isn't exciting or anything, but better than what they had.

But I like laces, they're vintage. But Tampa Bay is not vintage. Sorry if I was confusing you.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

150px-Steelmark_logo.gif

Remind you of anything?

Here's my proposed name/logo change for them:

Steal.png?t=1311711531

Or, if they came first, just put "Stealers" on Pittsburgh's logo.

Then, of course, who can forget the New York Rangers ripoffs?

len1e3kxh5cgso3ynwl1nsmek.gif

And:

cfi07jiugzjfiid9xl6iy6v4h.gif

Now I'm not saying they're bad jerseys, but leave that style to the NYR

Arrgh beat me to it. I was going to post a collage like my roundel post with all the teams from all the leagues that wear it. I might later.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

The second I saw this thread title I thought Lightning, and I didn't have to go far to find someone who had beaten me to the punch.

I agree 100% with Bubba, and have been saying it for some time now about the Lightning trying to be something they aren't. It's just awful and the logo is still the worst part about it.

2ly2w09.jpg

Then, of course, who can forget the New York Rangers ripoffs?

len1e3kxh5cgso3ynwl1nsmek.gif

And:

cfi07jiugzjfiid9xl6iy6v4h.gif

Now I'm not saying they're bad jerseys, but leave that style to the NYR

Arrgh beat me to it. I was going to post a collage like my roundel post with all the teams from all the leagues that wear it. I might later.

I dont get this one. Pittsburgh has a drop shadow and Colorado doesn't. Plus, because of the size of their city and state name, there is only so much you can really do. This is a bad example of being "unoriginal".

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

I don't know, I always found this to be a rather sharp sweater.

456.jpg

In a vacuum it's a great sweater but I always thought they should have either committed to Robo Penguin or the Diagonal script. The mismatched look didn't work.

I think the Senators, Penguins, and old Lightning all utilized the same template as each other also.

Maybe not quite the same spirit of this thread but I always thought it odd that the Jaguars and Panthers entered the NFL the same year with very similar identities. Both big cat logos, black and (teal or blue) color scheme. Their trips to the conference championship games in year 2 has forever linked them in my mind too.

I don't think they look stupid, and the reason you gave against them was they weren't around when laces were originally used.

So I asked, "So What?"

But as for thinking they look stupid, that's different, and you're entitled to think that.

So yeah, I like them.

But I like laces, they're vintage. But Tampa Bay is not vintage. Sorry if I was confusing you.

Hey, not confusing me--that's fine if you like laces--never said you didn't--I'm just disagreeing with your reason for not liking them on a Tampa Bay uniform.

I think any team that wants to use them should be able to--but they won't suit every design--

To me, whether or not the laces suit a uniform is more important than whether a team is "Vintage" or not.

For example--the Minnesota Wild would not be "Vintage" either then--if the Lightning are not, as the Lightning have been around longer than the Wild.

The Wild--with their fauxback style home jerseys and their alternates--use laces.

With their road jerseys, of a different design, they do not use laces.

(We can debate the mismatch of home & away for the Wild some other time, as that's a different issue)

My point here is that the Wild's road jerseys do not suit the laces, and they do not use them.

Their home & alternate jerseys suit them--so they look good on them.

Along the same lines-but on a fantasy team -when I was part of one of the hockey leagues here I designed my primary home & away unis and decided they suited laces--so I used that design.

But I had a different idea for an alternate--partly suggested by another member here. I decided that design did not suit the laces, so I used a different neck style.

Not because I was "Vintage" or "Non-Vintage"

But hey, that's how I see things, and I'm not in a position to design or approve a design for a team's unis--just a guy giving my opinion online--like most of us.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

So I asked, "So What?"

So yeah, I like them.

Hey, not confusing me--that's fine if you like laces--never said you didn't--I'm just disagreeing with your reason for not liking them on a Tampa Bay uniform.

I think any team that wants to use them should be able to--but they won't suit every design--

To me, whether or not the laces suit a uniform is more important than whether a team is "Vintage" or not.

For example--the Minnesota Wild would not be "Vintage" either then--if the Lightning are not, as the Lightning have been around longer than the Wild.

The Wild--with their fauxback style home jerseys and their alternates--use laces.

With their road jerseys, of a different design, they do not use laces.

(We can debate the mismatch of home & away for the Wild some other time, as that's a different issue)

My point here is that the Wild's road jerseys do not suit the laces, and they do not use them.

Their home & alternate jerseys suit them--so they look good on them.

Along the same lines-but on a fantasy team -when I was part of one of the hockey leagues here I designed my primary home & away unis and decided they suited laces--so I used that design.

But I had a different idea for an alternate--partly suggested by another member here. I decided that design did not suit the laces, so I used a different neck style.

Not because I was "Vintage" or "Non-Vintage"

But hey, that's how I see things, and I'm not in a position to design or approve a design for a team's unis--just a guy giving my opinion online--like most of us.

Hopefully this doesn't look like we're fighting, but I wanted to point out that NHL hockey has been in Minesotta since 1967 (North Stars), so take away when there was no team, and that's still 35 years of NHL hockey roots in the city, which I count as vintage.

Archived