2011 NFL Season

TBGKon

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worried about the Jets running game.

The Jets run game was off -- the pass rush wasn't all there tonight -- and Mark Sanchez played a pretty sub-par game. Not sure how he was able to rack up 335 yards passing, especially considering how stale the offense seemed. He also air-mailed his receivers on several "could've been big-play" passes. But I guess that's Mark Sanchez for you. Some of it could also be rust though. It's only Week 1, and the Jets are 1-0, so I'm not even gonna think about any 'panic button' yet.

Minus the pick to Lee, though Sanchez played well when the O-Line game him time. O-Line did not play well tonight. Ware is a beast.

Usually, I wait until week 7 or 8 before I go shopping for a bandwagon team to root for while the Browns wallow in relentless ineptitude. But they lost to Bruce f-ing Gradkowski and I'm already tired of "true Cleveland fans." So I've decided to beat the rush this season. I'm going to name my "second team" today. Since I don't want to be branded a "frontrunner", I've decided that my options are limited to the six teams that haven't played yet. That leaves the Jets, Cowboys, Broncos, Dolphins, Raiders, and Patriots.

The Patriots are out because...well...they're the Patriots. No Boston teams. Ever.

The Cowboys are out because they already have plenty of front running bandwagon jumping fans.

The Broncos are out because their uniforms are awful.

The Jets are out because they're good. Choosing them is too easy.

That leaves the Raiders and Dolphins. The Raiders work because they're awful and they have great uniforms. But that Al Davis thing is a deal breaker.

That leaves the Dolphins. My Dad was a Dolphins fan so I guess that's as good a reason to pick them as any. (Despite the fact that he was born in Kentucky and lived the majority of his life in Ohio, the man just loved Miami football. He was also a Canes fan. Go figure.) Oh, and I actually own a Dolphins hat (five bucks at lids Christmas 2009.) So that settles it. Make room Tank. There's another Dolphins fan on the boards. :P

Just checking, but you do realize the following about the Dolphins, correct?:

Owner Stephen Ross is a Michigan grad

Starting QB is Chad Henne, former Wolverine

Best player is LT Jake Long, former Wolverine

Anyway, people are going to knock the Lions regardless of what they do, but they looked great today. The offense did what they wanted, and Best even had a decent game against a pretty talented front four. Like someone else said, Calvin should have a monster year, and make a case for a spot atop the list of NFL receivers. Stafford continued what he was doing all preseason, which was reassuring. People are going to continue doubting them and bringing up the past, but this is a different team. Oh, and now we can officially get past the whole "last time they went 4-0 in the preseason they went 0-16 lol" thing right?

MegatronSig2.jpg

And people please, quit talking about the who's the best WR, unless Andre Johnson steps on a lind mine or something, there no competition

Oh, sorry, I forgot that this was a topic with a concrete answer and no room for opinion. Well, other than yours, which is obviously the only one that matters.

You really think it is that clear-cut? Calvin is bigger, faster, and outjumps anybody in the league. He now finally has a quarterback who can get him the ball, and they have already connected for two TDs in week 1. I honestly think he is right there with Andre right now, and has the potential to be better in the very near future.

MegatronSig2.jpg

I was at the Cardinals/Panthers game today, and besides the Cardinals secondary being complete and utter ass helping him a bit, Cam Newton is legit. He hit the throws that the Cards left wide open for him, but also made some very pretty throws. The big negative on the day for him though was the four sacks, but that probably has something to do with the Cardinals blitzing on damn near every play and an O-Line that could use some work. (Carolina only managed 74 rushing yards today as well)

For the Cards, Kevin Kolb is going to fit in fine there. Threw some very nice balls. Was able to escape when he needed to pretty well. Distributed the ball very well. Kolb is going to do well. (His only downside is the appearance of Corn COBB hats with "Kevin" on the side. :rolleyes: ) Beanie Wells actually had a great day, which is a huge positive for the Cards (and my fantasy team :P ). If he could ever align his compass straight and stop trying to cut back every other play, he could be a hell of a lot better than he is. And Todd Heap, really great fit. I'm going to enjoy watching him.

Really, the biggest trouble for the Cards is their secondary. The offense will be better once they get those few more reps together. The pass rush and run defense are great. But if their pass rush is going to be based on the constant, full blitzing they did today, the under routes are going to be constantly open and that suspect secondary is going to be out on their own islands. DRC was a bigger loss for them than I think they thought he'd be. Adrian Wilson can't cover all of the field (especially when he's being added to those blitzes). Their 1st round pick, Patrick Peterson, definitely has a lot of promise, and was actually extremely effective as a returner, even besides his game-winning punt return.

The Cards are going to be an interesting team for sure. And with some things to follow with them this season (along with the local media and the family season tickets (Weird to explain why we actually have them)), I may just have to become an Arizona Cardinals fan this season.

Which unfortunately leads me to this...

Burghley+Horse+Trials+dr1L-_u1VJVl.jpg

Colts season is going to suck. It's going to suck harder than I initially believed. It is REALLLLYYY going to suck. And I know this viewpoint has already been poo-pooed upon by some here (but I firmly believe this), it will be good and productive for the Colts to have one really bad year. The ultimate hope, as already pointed out would to be bad enough to get Andrew Luck so they can finally groom a Peyton Manning replacement. And a smart kid like Luck may just be the perfect guy to do so. And because it's fairly obvious now the Colts are not contending for anything this year, I'd rather be as bad as possible to get some early draft picks and try and get some talent back into the system, rather than constantly missing at the back end of rounds or messing around in the middle. Try and get an opportunity to acquire the most talent they can for the future, because this year isn't going to work.

So anyone that wants to engage and enjoy in their Colts schadenfreude this season, get it all in while you can. You all have fun. I hope you take solace in the fact that while I want the Colts to be as bad as possible for one year, that does not mean I will enjoy it one little bit. At all.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

If I have to hear another "let's go 0-16 to get Andrew Luck!" proposal from the Colts 'faithful' I may just leap into traffic.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

And people please, quit talking about the who's the best WR, unless Andre Johnson steps on a lind mine or something, there no competition

I beg to differ, Andre Johnson is great, but I personally think Larry Fitzgerald is the best in the NFL.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

First off, what must Carson Palmer be thinking? With a combo of Daltonand Gradkowski winning a game for the Bengals (albeit against the Browns) his trade value must have dropped a bit!!

Secondly maybe one big lesson we've learnt inweek one is that Jim Caldwell is not a great coach. (Any chance Manning being appointed Colts HC in the next 3-4 years?)

The Lions and Buccs look legit. (Though Tampa should stick to pewter pants). Can Stafford stay healthy?

And the Jets ain't gonna make the next step up with Sanchez under center, at least whilst Brady is flinging it around in NE. I don't believe they can winanAFC championship without homefield advantage, and they aren't besting the Pats over a 16 game season.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I was at the Cardinals/Panthers game today, and besides the Cardinals secondary being complete and utter ass helping him a bit, Cam Newton is legit. He hit the throws that the Cards left wide open for him, but also made some very pretty throws. The big negative on the day for him though was the four sacks, but that probably has something to do with the Cardinals blitzing on damn near every play and an O-Line that could use some work. (Carolina only managed 74 rushing yards today as well)

For the Cards, Kevin Kolb is going to fit in fine there. Threw some very nice balls. Was able to escape when he needed to pretty well. Distributed the ball very well. Kolb is going to do well. (His only downside is the appearance of Corn COBB hats with "Kevin" on the side. :rolleyes: ) Beanie Wells actually had a great day, which is a huge positive for the Cards (and my fantasy team :P ). If he could ever align his compass straight and stop trying to cut back every other play, he could be a hell of a lot better than he is. And Todd Heap, really great fit. I'm going to enjoy watching him.

Really, the biggest trouble for the Cards is their secondary. The offense will be better once they get those few more reps together. The pass rush and run defense are great. But if their pass rush is going to be based on the constant, full blitzing they did today, the under routes are going to be constantly open and that suspect secondary is going to be out on their own islands. DRC was a bigger loss for them than I think they thought he'd be. Adrian Wilson can't cover all of the field (especially when he's being added to those blitzes). Their 1st round pick, Patrick Peterson, definitely has a lot of promise, and was actually extremely effective as a returner, even besides his game-winning punt return.

The Cards are going to be an interesting team for sure. And with some things to follow with them this season (along with the local media and the family season tickets (Weird to explain why we actually have them)), I may just have to become an Arizona Cardinals fan this season.

Which unfortunately leads me to this...

Burghley+Horse+Trials+dr1L-_u1VJVl.jpg

Colts season is going to suck. It's going to suck harder than I initially believed. It is REALLLLYYY going to suck. And I know this viewpoint has already been poo-pooed upon by some here (but I firmly believe this), it will be good and productive for the Colts to have one really bad year. The ultimate hope, as already pointed out would to be bad enough to get Andrew Luck so they can finally groom a Peyton Manning replacement. And a smart kid like Luck may just be the perfect guy to do so. And because it's fairly obvious now the Colts are not contending for anything this year, I'd rather be as bad as possible to get some early draft picks and try and get some talent back into the system, rather than constantly missing at the back end of rounds or messing around in the middle. Try and get an opportunity to acquire the most talent they can for the future, because this year isn't going to work.

So anyone that wants to engage and enjoy in their Colts schadenfreude this season, get it all in while you can. You all have fun. I hope you take solace in the fact that while I want the Colts to be as bad as possible for one year, that does not mean I will enjoy it one little bit. At all.

Here's a scenario for you. End of the year Peyton Manning is healthy and the draft comes up Colts #1 pick and Jim Harbaugh calls and offers the entire 49ers draft for Luck what would you want the Colts to do?

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

rub some dirt of them rubber granules on it, son

Not sure where you'd get dirt inside a dome stadium.

There.

I would like to thank the Bears, Lions, and Cardinals for keeping the Saints right in the thick of things in the NFC South. :D

It'll be interesting to see how the Saints handle the Bears at home. Tough game and they can't afford to go 0-2.

Go Eagles!

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Who gets injured first? Matthew Stafford or Michael Vick?

Who is kicking themselves more for putting their team in the hands of a washed-up cast off QB? Tennessee or Seattle?

Who finishes the season with more INTs? Jay Cutler or Rex Grossman?

this will probably be the only time I get to do this this season, but:

HOW 'BOUT THEM BILLS?

:grin:

Well, I did pick against the Bills so I deserve my heaping helping of crow now. :)

I was quite shocked that when I was watching my free preview of NFL RedZone (Which is the single greatest television idea ever... Scratch that, the greatest idea ever!) and they showed the fans leaving Arrowhead. Buffalo played great, but I wonder how much of that is because the Chiefs are still suffering some sort of preseason hangover?

BTW, wonderful opening line you found, BlueSky. That got a laugh out of me... Although you want to be careful with Wile E. Coyote. He is a supergenius afterall. :P

Fantastic opening line in the Atlanta paper's coverage of the Falcons' meltdown in Chicago:

===

CHICAGO ? When the Falcons said they wanted to get more explosive this season, did they mean like Wile E. Coyote explosive?

===

:D

That's a hell of a lede there.

LvZYtbZ.png

First off, what must Carson Palmer be thinking? With a combo of Daltonand Gradkowski winning a game for the Bengals (albeit against the Browns) his trade value must have dropped a bit!!

I don't think Carson Palmer is thinking anything because he's not getting traded and he knows it.

The Bengals could probably get a third round pick for him. The stubborness of Mike Brown though is simply amazing. He rather hurt Carson Palmer then help his team. When you think about it that's basically the message he's conveying by not trading him.

What I don't understand is how does he expect to attract any player in the free agent market with any kind of ability? I would not sign anymore then a one year deal with the Bengals if I were a player. How could you possibly have any faith in an owner like that? He doesen't want to win games. He just wants to get his way and if he doesen't get his way he throws a hissy fit like a 9 year old girl. That's what its all about. He'd like to win games I'm sure, but not if he has to listen to anybody else on how to do it.

There's a reason why the Bengals don't win. I'm amazed they've actually done as well as they have under his tenure. I'd expect this team to never make the playoffs with an owner like that and somehow they've managed to do it more then once.

Archived