Rights and Wrongs

BBTV

What have you been right about (when your opinion wasn't necessarily the prevailing opinion) and what have you been wrong about?

Wrong:

I was dead wrong about disagreeing with the decisions to both hire and then to retain Charlie Manuel as Phillies manager. He's a bumpkin, doesn't know how to make a double switch, can't form complete sentences, but the players absolutely love him, he sticks up for them, they'll "run through walls" for him, and it's a pleasure to listen to him just ramble off on old baseball stories. Dude has played with or coached everyone. I was a huge Larry Bowa fan, but I'm now ready to admit that I was wrong, and that Uncle Charlie is the right guy for this team. Charlie - I'm sorry.

Right:

Donovan McNabb. He's insecure and heartless, and has proved it everywhere he's gone. He's already felt disrespected by the Vikings for not being their first choice, and he still talks about the Eagles. Never seen a more insecure adult, and it's no surprise that he could do nothing better than throw up when it mattered most.

Go.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wrong:

I disagreed with the hiring of Ron Wilson as the Leafs' head coach. I thought he'd be just another high profile bust, an average coach who got lucky with a talented (if underachieving) crop of players in San Jose. The Leafs haven't made the playoffs yet under him, but the team has steadily improved during his tenure.

Right:

Brett Farve being a selfish prima dona who's long past his "best by" date. I was tired of this guy's act in high school, and I was one of the few who agreed with the Packers when they told him to take a hike after he un-retired the first time.

Wrong: back when Bonds broke Hank aaron's record I said, "no big deal. A-rod will eventually break it and he's clean." woops.

Right: I said the 2010 reds would win the division.

Right: I said the 2011 Reds would disappoint because in order for a repeat everything would have to go as right as things did in oh ten and there was no way that was going to happen again.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Wrong: I thought the Cubs would thrive under Mike Quade, and that Jim Hendry was a good GM.

Right: After the 2007 failure, I predicted the Cubs would take a decade off from being competitive, and I may as well not pay too close attention until sometime approaching my 30th birthday. So far they're right on pace.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Wrong: Johnny Mac was the best hire the Devils could have made, and that he would have them competing in the playoffs.

Right: "Canseco is an a**hole, but a**holes usually know all the bad s**t that's going down. Wouldn't surprise me if he's 100% spot-on with his book..."

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Wrong: I said that the Jets fall to mediocrity under Rex Ryan back in 09, I was way off. I predicted that the Mets would contend for a Wild Card Spot this year.

Right: I said that the Jets would make another AFC Championship after Year 1 of the Rex Era.

Signature.png

TrophyCase-1.png

Right: Going into last year's NFL playoffs, I'd have taken Green Bay over the field in any bet.

Wrong: When Andy MacPhail (who built the Twins' 1987 and 1991 title teams) joined the Cubs, I thought he'd leave the team with the drought ended.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I really like the idea of this thread. I like threads where you can just let it all out there for the world to see.

Right: Oregon was going to go the the national title game last year.

Wrong: Stanford would go either 6-6 or 7-5 without Gerhart. Yeah, way off there.

Right: The pirates would be competitive this year.

Wrong: Rutgers was going to go to the National Championship game in 2006-2007. Close, but no.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Right:

Jim Thome would get his 600th HR with the Twins (looks as if it is happening this year). I predicted this last year when I saw him tie and pass Harmon Killebrew in the same game.

Wrong:

The New York Yankees would trade for at least 5 new players before July 31st. They surprisingly made little impact in the trading deadline this year.

Wrong: back when Bonds broke Hank aaron's record I said, "no big deal. A-rod will eventually break it and he's clean." woops.

Right: I said the 2011 Reds would disappoint because in order for a repeat everything would have to go as right as things did in oh ten and there was no way that was going to happen again.

Wrong: steroids ruined baseball

Right: steroids' effect on baseball is inconclusive and Barry Bonds is no worse than the second greatest player ever (it's between either him and Babe Ruth and no one else)

1zgyd8w.jpg

Wrong: steroids ruined baseball

Right: steroids' effect on baseball is inconclusive and Barry Bonds is no worse than the second greatest player ever (it's between either him and Babe Ruth and no one else)

cant-tell-if-stupid-or-trolling.jpg

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

That's a pretty fair point actually. I saw it described recently that he was already the best player in baseball for the last half of the nineties, and for the first half of the 2000s, he produced like the best in baseball history. Seriously, disregarding steroids, look at his entire career. HOF-worthy even without 01-04. IMO he is no worse than top 5.

Right: Syracuse would win the 2003 National Championship

Wrong: Syracuse would be in the Final Four every year following

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

That's a pretty fair point actually. I saw it described recently that he was already the best player in baseball for the last half of the nineties, and for the first half of the 2000s, he produced like the best in baseball history. Seriously, disregarding steroids, look at his entire career. HOF-worthy even without 01-04. IMO he is no worse than top 5.

This was discussed in another thread. between him and Ruth? No wagner, mays, paige, or cobb? He's not top 5. Top 10 maybe.

Right: In 2010, I called that the Rangers would win the AL West, and I thought they were the easily the best team in the division (some Angels fans berated me for saying so)... and we know how that ended.

I thought the Cubs invested $10M in nothing with Carlos Pena and traded too much for James Shields when they were at best, the fourth best team in that division. I guess I was optimistic.

I thought that the Braves made a not-great trade and an absolutely absurd extension for Dan Uggla.

Wrong: I was skeptical of the Grienke trade, didn't see the Brewers as being the class of the Central, but they clearly have been. I also thought Bautista's 2010 was a fluke and his ISO was going to come down like it was prior to that season.

Archived