Buffalo Bills to wear white jerseys at home this Sunday

Buffalo

I'm sticking to my theory: somebody high up in the Bills' food chain (possibly the CEO mentioned a few posts ago) despised the blue monos they used to wear. If they bring out blue pants with the new set, it's only a matter of time until what? Blue monos. There's one way and one way only to make sure your team will never wear a blue mono: don't have blue pants.

Or, as the CEO, just tell your equipment managers and coaches that you don't want the team in all blue, and if they disobey they'll get fired or fined.

And possibly create discord when the players keep pestering everybody to wear the monos.

I wonder how much that really happens. I don't doubt for a second that players do ask about wearing certain combinations (I remember it happening in KC and Vermeil (I think) denied them the all red) but I wonder how much "pestering" it is and how big a deal it really is. I really think that if an owner or coach stated that they're trying to build a tradition and establish some consistency and "this is the uniform, no ifs ands or butts", then it wouldn't be an issue.

Twenty or thirty years ago, maybe. With these Bills even, maybe, but with a lot of teams and the divas that are playing today, they'd be pissing and moaning on Twitter.

Tough. He's the guy signing the paycheck. End of story.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Colts need blue pants

>>>>>

Both them and the Lions tried them, after one season the Colts shelved 'em, as did Detroit.

I thought they looked brilliant, especially with the black shoes.

now that looks amazing. If any team pulls out blue, I really wish it were the Colts. I don't like the idea of the Bills with them.

I think it looked pretty snazzy for the Lions

Barry-Sanders.jpg

Living in Detroit, it seemed as if most of the hate for this look was directed at the gray socks. If they'd gone with a white sock w/ blue NW stripes, I think people wouldv'e given it more of a chance.

The blue pants don't work surrounded by white jerseys, white socks, and white helmets. Just a big blob of blue. They kinda have to go monochrome white with the way the rest of the uniform is designed.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If only the Jaguars owner put his foot down years ago and told his players what uniform combo to wear. We might still be enjoying their classic unis today. I always found it odd that one of the reasons he ditched the classic unis was because of the use over the black uniforms. Clearly he didn't realize he had the power to control that.

I personally dislike white on white uniforms, and believe every teams should wear colored pants with white jerseys. The Colts look with blue pants. So did the Lions.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

If only the Jaguars owner put his foot down years ago and told his players what uniform combo to wear. We might still be enjoying their classic unis today. I always found it odd that one of the reasons he ditched the classic unis was because of the use over the black uniforms. Clearly he didn't realize he had the power to control that.

I personally dislike white on white uniforms, and believe every teams should wear colored pants with white jerseys. The Colts look with blue pants. So did the Lions.

That is exactly how I feel.

spacer.png

That is exactly how I feel.

>>>>>

I actually like the Bills all white if the shoes are black, but not for every road game.

I liked the Colts blue pants too. Same with the Lions Honolulu blue ones, but yes the Lions socks were awful.

I would NEVER want to see the Raiders with black away pants, only silver. I hate black pants period.

Would love to see their white away jerseys have silver numbers just like 1963 and 1970 ... as were on the AFL-50 throwbacks in 2009

I like change-ups with pants (mono-free) like when Tampa Bay goes all-white early in the season. Mix it up a bit.

No blue pants for me, thanks. The Colts looked like clowns in theirs, the Lions only slightly less so.

I think the Bills look great in their all-whites, with the exception of white socks. They really need to stick with the blue socks at all times, it would give them a near-perfect uniform.

Like other Bills fans, I don't like them wearing ALL white at home. It makes no sense. They are undefeated in the blue jerseys. Blue is more menacing and who wears all white unless, maybe, it's in early September when the weather up in WNY is still sunny & warm? The first thing i thought of when i read they were going to wear white jerseys was "ok, they didn't say all white uniforms,,,just jersey". That leaves open the possibility of blue pants. We know they exist, we know fans love them (from the good ol days)...and it makes no sense to "showcase" an all white uniform set at home that we have already seen several times this season. It's nothing new or vastly special. I think they surprise everyone by coming out after warmups with blue pants.

>>>>>

I feel exactly as you.

We do play the J-E-T-S again in the Meadowlands in 3 weeks, and NY usually wears their pickle greens at home this time of year. Given that, if the BILLS really do wear white on white on white for the white-out on Sunday, then perhaps they'll pop out the blue pants for that game.

If we still don't see them by then .... I will give up all-hope for this season on seeing them.

Back in '73 uniform issues weren't mentioned much and the season opener at New England when I turned on the TV and saw Buffalo in blue away pants for the 1st time in our history I nearly pissed my pants. As a young BILLS fanatic I had always dreamed of having blue pants on the road just like KC had their red road pants. All week at school us kids were talking more about the blue pants than the 31-13 win or OJ's 250 yard rushing performance.

T'was special. :grin:

I hope it plays out exactly as you described.

I hear ya. I was going to games with my grandfather in '73 and remember that year. This would be a perfect opponent to break them out too. Let's remember OJ breaking the rushing record against the Jets with the blue pants vs. the green jersey's. I'd love to see a repeat of that. I agree that if we don't see them this weekend, they won't use blue pants this year.

WW didn't like all the black combinations that were added and thought it was Diluting the brand. The rebrand was to make teal and black with out a doubt the prime colors. I still miss the old uniforms, I understand what they were trying to do but you don't screw with a good thing.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

If only the Jaguars owner put his foot down years ago and told his players what uniform combo to wear.

Some of you dorks, think that owners really care what their team is wearing? Most of them don't even understand football, let alone what is being worn.

Its the coaches and players game. They should decide what is worn. Like its done at every other level of football.

WW didn't like all the black combinations that were added and thought it was Diluting the brand.

Yes, that one game a year they wore black uniforms, was just horrible. Horrible, I say!

Diluting what brand? They are the freakin' Jacksonville Jaguars. Nobody outside of Jacksonville, even know they exist.

Their best combo, has been and would still be, teal jersey's and black pants. Maybe one day, once their "brand" has recovered, they'll wear that combo again once or twice a year.

As for teams going mono personally it all depends on the team ie Colts, dolphins, Jets, Bills(again) I like the mono white on them because they have white hats to make it complete. I don't care for it with teams that have dark helmets. ie Bucs, Jags, Ravens. As for the blue pants I really think it would be a nice alt for buffalo and maybe for Detroit to bring back, indy not do much.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

Well perhaps when you learn a bit more about the Jacksonville Jaguars and their 700ish million dollar brand which sells in more places then you might expect. Im sure they would like to keep it intact. Shouldn't be another person who simply wants to harp on the Jaguars because of where they are located and what the national media says. As for their uniform combo I have to agree to disagree the teal and white is simply the best. It was, has been and will be simply the cleanest look we've got. I do wish I would put bit more gold back in. More teal on the road uniforms and I'm not saying I agree with what WW said about the black diluting the brand I think it's all the black combonations not the all-black which seemingly is coming back next season.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

Well perhaps when you learn a bit more about the Jacksonville Jaguars and their 700ish million dollar brand which sells in more places then you might expect. Im sure they would like to keep it intact. Shouldn't be another person who simply wants to harp on the Jaguars because of where they are located and what the national media says. As for their uniform combo I have to agree to disagree the teal and white is simply the best. It was, has been and will be simply the cleanest look we've got. I do wish I would put bit more gold back in. More teal on the road uniforms and I'm not saying I agree with what WW said about the black diluting the brand I think it's all the black combonations not the all-black which seemingly is coming back next season.

Dude, fill your stadium ALL THE WAY UP without ARTIFICIALLY DECREASING SEATING CAPACITY and then talk about how awesome the Jags brand is and how stable the franchise should be.... actually, please just move the heck to L.A. already!

And do it quick, before the Chargers beat you there and you're stuck in a failing marketplace.

Back to the original tangent, my own personal rule is this - teams with light colored helmets should wear pants to match. Always.

So in my opinion the Colts should always wear white pants, even if that incidentally results in an all-white look.

If a team with dark helmets and white home pants, such as the Bears, wants to add dark pants for the road, I don't have a problem with that. But white helmet/white jersey/dark pants looks really goofy to my eyes.

If the Jags really do bring back black alts next year, then shame on them. The whole premise of their new uniforms was so that they would have a definitive "home" uniform and a definitive "away" uniform, and that they would not deviate from those sets. If they bring in the black, then the whole rebrand was simply a cash grab. I have no problems with new uniforms or rebrands, but it does irk me a lot when they harp on about the reason for doing something, only to do the complete opposite of what they initially said. If you're going to do it, DO IT and STICK to it. Don't say one thing and go back on your word just a few short years later.

And do it quick, before the Chargers beat you there and you're stuck in a failing marketplace.

Back to the original tangent, my own personal rule is this - teams with light colored helmets should wear pants to match. Always.

So in my opinion the Colts should always wear white pants, even if that incidentally results in an all-white look.

If a team with dark helmets and white home pants, such as the Bears, wants to add dark pants for the road, I don't have a problem with that. But white helmet/white jersey/dark pants looks really goofy to my eyes.

With all due respect, your own 'personal rule' is an utter bunch of shít. spidey_sorry.gif

Miami with their white helmets look just fine in their aqua pants, just as the J-E-T-S look good in their pickle pants. The Cardinals red away pants (the few times they've worn them) no, because they have too much red on their white away jerseys.

When the Bills wore blue away pants from '73-'83 with the white helmets they looked 'simply marvelous' © Billy Crystal

The only team that looks awful with white helmets and dark pants is San Diego, and that is due to the dominantly navy blue sox that work as an extension to the navy blue pants. They need to shít-can those blue away sox.

Put black shoes on this early 80s Bills set, and it would have looked insane! ... thumbsup.gif

I do like Cribbs' red shoe laces ....

joecribbs.jpg

Archived