Can someone please tell me what was wrong with the Jaguars original uniforms ?

seahawk9

Just watching the NFL Network and seeing the original Jacksonville uniforms with the teal jerseys, white numbers, gold and black trim and the full bodied Jaguar on the sleeves were just perfect. I think they started jacking around with the uniforms as early as their 3rd year with that awful black side panal.....

Just watching the NFL Network and seeing the original Jacksonville uniforms with the teal jerseys, white numbers, gold and black trim and the full bodied Jaguar on the sleeves were just perfect. I think they started jacking around with the uniforms as early as their 3rd year with that awful black side panal.....

Well, those were not their original uniforms.

It was '97 when they added the black side panels...and those super-hard-to-read numbers. Those never made it out of the preseason, but led to that (IMO) gorgeous number font they used up until three years ago. They also thankfully 86'd the black side panels for '98 and beyond. Much less talked about was the tweaking of the pants stripe for '98 and beyond...the gold was made thinner, the black a bit thicker. For a good couple years, the Jaguars had perfect contemporary classics.

Then, they started jacking up. First came the black numbers on the road jerseys, then came the solid black road pants, at which point they officially became the "Blaguars". I think it was a season or two before this current garbage they have now that the inside of the pants stripe was made black instead of teal...and at that point the writing was on the wall.

As for what led to the overuse of black...I really don't know, except someone high up in the Jaguars' braintrust must've thought teal wasn't "tough enough". (I vaguely remember it was Weaver himself who was behind the addition and eventual oversaturation of black, but I really don't recall.) Either way, they took what was then a contemporary classic, and one of, if not the best jersey in the NFL, and...well, you see what they got now.

I'll never understand it.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Well, those were not their original uniforms.

Let me carify, the orginal uniform set that offically took the field in 1995. I know there was a prototype set with silver helmets, full bodied leaping Jaguar and teal pants that never played a game.

There was nothing wrong with this

fred-taylor.jpg

SS_10_nfl_stars_bankrupt_Brunell.jpg

That was a great football uniform.

[/quote

Agreed, perfect set......................

I like the original Jaguars uniforms alot. They had a great look, but kept toying with it.

Changing the number color on the white jerseys from teal to black was a bad move. Removing the stripes from the black pants and adding the Jaguar logo wasn't neccessary. The addition of alternate black jerseys wasn't bad, but wasn't neccessary (Although I must say, Jacksonville's all black uniforms were way better than Baltimore's). Altering the stripes on the white pants was the final blow.

One more thing. I think the Jaguar's current teal flaked helmets suck!

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I didn't hate the black pants when they were striped. With the teal jerseys, that look actually worked pretty good.

Jacksonville-Jaguars-v-New-Orleans-Saints.jpg

But they may have been the beginning of the end. Shortly thereafter they removed the stripes from the black pants (bad move), changed to black numerals on the white jersey (bad move) and switched to these pants at home

david%20garrard.jpg

(bad move).

It didn't happen all at once. The Jaguars are interesting in that it was a slow progression away from their good uniforms to what we have now. I believe the word would be, "devolution".

PvO6ZWJ.png

I didn't hate the black pants when they were striped. With the teal jerseys, that look actually worked pretty good.

Yeah, that is probably my favorite look for the Jaguars (which probably qualifies me for the "unpopular opinions" thread). Loved those stripes and hated when they got rid of them.

Yeah, that is probably my favorite look for the Jaguars (which probably qualifies me for the "unpopular opinions" thread). Loved those stripes and hated when they got rid of them.

Count me in too. I love how the black pants look with the black helmet.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

I've always liked that look as well.

Crying shame that team destroyed their identity the way that they did.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

On 11/5/2011 at 6:00 PM, Buffalo said:
On 11/5/2011 at 2:53 PM, McCarthy said:

There was nothing wrong with this

That was a great football uniform.

A+++

Those were great...probably my favorite sleeve logo ever. Every time they messed with 'em, they just got worse.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I still wish they'd go back to those. I really, really do. Teal numbers and all.

I agree with the OP. The original Jags set was perfect. I know everybody loved the 99-2005ish set, but I think the first set was much better. The rounded block numbers were great and unique without being proprietary for the hell of it. I also preferred when the gold on the pant stripes was as thick as the black. Just like Ohio State, Nike making the black thicker on the pants stripes messed them up.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived