Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

...and again.

State of PA to sue NCAA.

I don't know whether they have a case. And I don't care. There is just such little decency in response to this scandal; and this takes the cake.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So ironic that Corbett is suing the NCAA now because when he was Attorney General of PA in 2009, he put the Sandusky case on the back burner. It them until 2011 to arrest Sandusky.

Here's a quote from ESPN's story.

"Corbett's brief statement did not indicate whether his office coordinated its legal strategy with state Attorney General-elect Kathleen Kane, who is scheduled to be sworn in Jan. 15.

Kane, a Democrat, ran on a vow to investigate why it took state prosecutors nearly three years to charge Sandusky, an assistant under former football coach Joe Paterno. Corbett was the attorney general when that office took over the case in early 2009 and until he became governor in January 2011."

...and again.

State of PA to sue NCAA.

I don't know whether they have a case. And I don't care. There is just such little decency in response to this scandal; and this takes the cake.

It goes back to two words which the NCAA never wants to hear..."state actor".

In November, US Congressman Charlie Dent is essentially the spark when he wrote Emmert on behalf of all PA congressional members regarding the distribution of the funds/penalty which the NCAA started to collect last month. The NCAA is going to distribute at least 25% of the monies to PA causes, but the congressman's letter urged Emmert to use the money for PA prevention and assistance efforts since the majority of the crimes were committed there.

University reserves were given to the athletic department to pay the first of five installments (Aside: also a sign to us all that athletics is separate from the educational mission of a school since they are mostly run as auxiliaries). As a result, the congressman thinks that more focus should be on in-state efforts.

I think it's dumb they felt the need to make an announcement that they were no longer going to play the song. Would anyone have noticed if they just didn't play it without saying anything?

Oh probably not - I don't know if it was a big "tradition" type of thing and it would have been noticed. If it was, it's a pretty stupid "tradition" because so many other schools do the same thing. I'm pretty sure nobody over the age of 25 finds anything entertaining about singing along with that song.

My guess is that someone like a reporter or something actually brought it up, so they felt like they had to make mention of it so that they don't get asked again. Either that, or they just wanted to go out of their way to show in at least some little way that they're at least conscious about how they're perceived now and wanted to give people at least a little bit of an idea that they aren't totally in the protective bubble that most think, where this never happened and everyone still loves them and JOE PA!!!

I really wish I had seen this back in August, because the rebuttal to that is pretty easy:

Red Sox fans on any given night at Fenway Park.

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...

Here we go.

Al Pacino will play Joe Paterno in a movie about the late Penn State football coach.

Producer Edward R. Pressman confirms Brian De Palma will direct “Happy Valley,” the tentative title of the film, based on Joe Posnanski’s best-seller “Paterno.”

“‘Happy Valley’ reunites the ‘Scarface’ and ‘Carlito’s Way’ team of De Palma and Pacino for the third time and I can’t think of a better duo to tell this story of a complex, intensely righteous man who was brought down by his own tragic flaw,” Pressman said in a statement. No start or release dates were given for the film.

While Pressman said the plot remains “under wraps,” Posnanski’s book followed Paterno’s final years, as the winningest coach in college football history saw his career end in disgrace in 2011 with the sex abuse scandal involving assistant Jerry Sandusky.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

oh my god, say "I've never even heard of rape and a man" or "you're gonna have to speak up, I can't hear ya" as Ricky Roma from Glengarry Glen Ross, lols for days

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Get Alec Baldwin to be Mike McQueary but make him the hero.

"Put that child down, sir!"

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I can't how you couldn't be at least a little interested in the movie. We'll see how good it is. He's a great but the last decade or so has pretty much been one stinker after another. Insomnia is the last movie he did that I liked. Then again you also had Christopher Nolan directing and I've yet him make a bad movie.

To me having Brian De Palma direct is an odd choice. I think he's a great director but you look at the films he's done and they don't match up to what I would expect this film to be like. I probably would have tried getting another director but considering how tight he and Pacino are you may not have had a choice. No De Palma, no Pacino, so who knows. Its not my area of expertise and that's about as in depth as I'll get my opinions on the makings of the movie. I just care about the finished product and Its going to be at least a year before they even start to shoot the thing, so kind of a big deal considering what Joe Paterno's legacy will be but I'm not to care about it again until I see a trailer.

• 4 months later...

A federal judge dismissed the state's lawsuit against the NCAA to overturn the penalties.

U.S. Middle District Chief Judge Yvette Kane concluded that while Corbett raises important economic and other issues, he does not make a case to attack the NCAA's sanctions on anti-trust grounds.

The anti-trust argument was the foundation for the governor's case.

The 28-page ruling issued first thing Thursday by Kane won't guarantee an end to the fight, however.

The governor could still appeal her decision to the U.S. Third Circuit Court of Appeals.

• 2 years later...

Apparently Paterno knew about Sandusky dicking children as early as the mid-70's.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/05/court_filing_says_joe_paterno.html

A new bombshell dropped in the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal Thursday.

It came in the form of a single line in a court order on a related insurance coverage case involving Penn State, and its full ramifications can't immediately be gauged.

But that line was eye-popping in itself.

The line in question states that one of Penn State's insurers has claimed "in 1976, a child allegedly reported to PSU's Head Coach Joseph Paterno that he (the child) was sexually molested by Sandusky."

The order also cites separate references in 1987 and 1988 in which unnamed assistant coaches witnessed inappropriate contact between Sandusky and unidentified children, and a 1988 case that was supposedly referred to Penn State's athletic director at the time.

--------------

There's way, way more in the link above.  What a disgusting program.

twitter

At the time, I said they should have shut this football program down for the year. They should have shut it down for good. It's the house that child rape built.

This was a good thread. Lots of righteous indignation, including from me. I can't believe it's been four years!

What happened to The Old Roman?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Eh, he comes and goes. I hope he's enjoying this hot start for the White Sox, wherever he is. I SURE AIN'T

The real missing person from the CCSLC's Cantankerous Midwesterner Division is illwauk.

Archived