Should Penn State Adopt a New Helmet For 2012 and Beyond?

tuffytoro

MOD NOTE: Okay, folks... let's limit discussion in this thread to serious suggestions for proposed updates to Penn State's football helmets. Debate revolving around the sexual abuse scandal involving Jerry Sandusky and the Penn State football program should be taken to the following thread in the "Sports In General" forum:

Say it ain't so, Joe

Such content already posted in this thread has been moved there.

Once there, please remember to engage in discussion of said topic in a respectful manner.

Thanks in advance.

>>>>>

Ahhhh, I was wondering where some of the posts went.

For a second I thought I was losing my mind .... I thought it may have been moved but when I saw the 'Say it ain't so Joe' thread I presumed it had something to due with our loss of Smokin' Joe Frazier.

Ok no problem, thanks.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

brand is bigger than 1 person. there is no need to change. there is no good reason to change. the culture is still intact.

+1

All they would need is new coaching staff and administrators. Just clean house, not change everything about the university. Otherwise you're saying, "THIS was what Penn State is about", rather than "elite academics and athletics" or whatever their mission statement is.

I think if Penn State changes the uniforms, they should make a complete change and go modern. They could work in silver and the basketball striping:

gyi0063913573.jpg

That would be a terrible idea, however, I've always wondered what a block S inside a solid blue keystone would look like on their helmets, along with a stripe on the pants.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Let's see here...big-time B1G program with a longstanding legacy and tradition of success, with championship pedigree to boot, and a ginormous alumni/fan base most of whom would probably revolt at the mere thought of any kind of major change to Penn State's football uniforms, helmet or otherwise...

...Nah--I don't seeing a change happening anytime soon.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Never more true then in Joe Paterno's recent troubles-

"You either die the hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain".

With the amount of coverage Joe Paterno is getting these days, you swear he was the one doing the inappropriate act himself.

He was in the wrong, and deserves to be fired for putting too much faith in his long time friend, but how many of you would have believed the accusations if it was your friend or brother?

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Never more true then in Joe Paterno's recent troubles-

"You either die the hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain".

With the amount of coverage Joe Paterno is getting these days, you swear he was the one doing the inappropriate act himself.

He was in the wrong, and deserves to be fired for putting too much faith in his long time friend, but how many of you would have believed the accusations if it was your friend or brother?

That has what to do with their uniforms?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Penn State needs a modern uniform.

No, they don't. Penn State's brand is their traditional, some would say plain, uniforms. Forcing them to wear mix-and-match/overly modern stuff would be like forcing Oregon to wear their throwbacks full time.

Some schools have built fairly successful "brands" around modern uniforms, others have established brands that have stood the test of time, and as a result have resulted in very strong merchandise sales. Penn State belongs to the latter group.

And that brand is now tainted more than any other NCAA FB team's brand has ever been tainted. Time to start fresh and forget all this unpleasantness. Time to leave JoePa and the athletic staff from hell in the past.

For those who want the helmet to change, what are your reasonings?

Because the current white helmet is part of a long tradition that is now tainted beyond belief. Time to bring something new and fresh to the team as they enter a new chapter without Joe Paterno, his staff, the soon to be former AD, and soon to be former university president.

I think if Penn State changes the uniforms, they should make a complete change and go modern. They could work in silver and the basketball striping:

gyi0063913573.jpg

That would be a terrible idea, however, I've always wondered what a block S inside a solid blue keystone would look like on their helmets, along with a stripe on the pants.

Let's see it, man. You've got the skills.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I don't understand when people clamor for Traditional brands to conform. The very fact that they never conformed IS their brand. If they change ANYTHING significant and go against their brand, they will cease to matter. I would argue that without those uniforms or coach, they would have ceased being nationally relevant a long time ago.

If the next coach decides to make changes to put his stamp on the program, I would understand, but unless it keeps within the simple and traditional nature of the brand, it will be a failure. People are either Penn State fans because they are from the area/attended there OR most importantly revenue wise, they chose it because things like their classic uniforms and old school tradition (present events excluded of course).

No. The helmet is fine as it. The helmet is iconic, and the people of Penn State will just explode if any change would happen.

>>>>>

Now how would you know that ... have there been polls taken among Penn State-nation regarding that subject, or is that how you view it and assume that the majority of Penn State fans look upon it that same way??

Where I grew up in Western NY college football fans were either for Syracuse or Penn State and I used to constantly hear Nittany Lion fans gripe about their uni's.

In my own opinion Penn State's uniform sets have always looked like nothing more than practice uniforms and I see nothing 'iconic' about those helmets. They desperately need a 'modest' change. Their away uniform set is utterly ridiculous and boring as boring can be.

Navy and white have always been their school colors and I see no reason to change it, but they could at least put their much recognized logo on the helmet and a set a navy pants with white striping for road games. Other than that perhaps their wordmark below the collar, but not your typical jumbo sized used my many college teams.

penn-statewordmark.jpg

There's no need to go from an ultra-conservative look like they currently have to something radical and way to the right like Maryland has done, and Oregon does on a weekly basis. Oregon is different and they can pull it off because they haven't been relevant in football for all that long.

Although Penn State hash never worn a logo on their helmet I do believe that most college football fans of medium knowledge are familiar with this blue & white logo below and I think they need to turn the page from one era to another in a minimal way, not because of the scandal-coverup.

Penn_State_logo_medium.gif

If they were to go with this other logo that isn't all that well known, I don't believe that silver is needed in the uniform color scheme just because it's part of the logo.

xd15oxuhsw8nhbru8t6u.gif

No, absolutely no. You don't simply change everything that has ever represented your football program simply from the errors of a small group of people. As wrong and horrifying as the issue is, you don't simply say "that's it, forget all our history". The uniform isn't the "de facto go-to" piece of the program that should change when times get rough. Why do I feel like whenever a school goes through a down year or has a scandal, the first thing everyone here says is "change the uniform!"? How about you stick with your long held tradition and make sure you're running a top notch program from top to bottom? The uniform isn't the problem with Penn State, it's the disgusting child molester. Let's make sure things are straight here. Miami isn't about to drop "the U" logo because of Nevin Shapiro. SMU didn't drop the running Mustang when they returned from the Death Penalty. The Falcons didn't change uniforms or logos after Michael Vick engaged in dog fighting. Penn State doesn't need to change at all. Kapeesh? Is this even a serious question?

Not that it matters one ioda to the point of this thread, but Jimbo Fisher hasn't gone trying to change up Florida State's uniforms, either.

Completely different situation, but same type of issue (the uniforms, that is).

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

No, absolutely no. You don't simply change everything that has ever represented your football program simply from the errors of a small group of people. As wrong and horrifying as the issue is, you don't simply say "that's it, forget all our history". The uniform isn't the "de facto go-to" piece of the program that should change when times get rough. Why do I feel like whenever a school goes through a down year or has a scandal, the first thing everyone here says is "change the uniform!"? How about you stick with your long held tradition and make sure you're running a top notch program from top to bottom? The uniform isn't the problem with Penn State, it's the disgusting child molester. Let's make sure things are straight here. Miami isn't about to drop "the U" logo because of Nevin Shapiro. SMU didn't drop the running Mustang when they returned from the Death Penalty. The Falcons didn't change uniforms or logos after Michael Vick engaged in dog fighting. Penn State doesn't need to change at all. Kapeesh? Is this even a serious question?

>>>>

If you believe it's only the child molester who's the problem and not all the higher-ups at Penn State and ALL that were involved in the cover up, and others feel that way too, then we really what Matt Millen stated today when he emotionally said "if we can't protect our kids, we as a society are pathetic" .... I'm assuming you didn't mean it quite like it came out.

If Joe Paterno needed something for his football program, went to the AD and never heard back from him, I guarantee you he would have been all over him to see what's being done about it. The facts and evidence aren't completely revealed, but this sure doesn't look good ... This is a major coverup with several individuals involved, and because of the coverup this disgusting crime continued to occur. This is appearing to be the worst crime in NCAA history, much worse than NCAA recruiting cheats or an NFL player involved in dog fighting.

But back to the uniforms, IMO they've needed to modernize forever. I've heard several Penn State fans say the same thing over the years, so If the new coach, AD, and administration who comes in to replace this current group chooses too, I say good on them We're all familiar with the logo they've long had but don't use on the helmet.

The other teams you mentioned didn't need to change uniforms from scandal, nor does Penn State. The N-Lions should modernize because it should have been done ages ago. Nothing to do with the scandal-coverup.

I was never talking about a radical uniform change, only moderate as far as their uniforms are concerned.

Archived