It's finally happened: Active pro team sport athlete says he's gay

Viper

For years people have wondered when this day would come. Now that it has, it's been overshadowed, ironically enough, by a same-sex abuse scandal in college football.

A historic event in North American sports nonetheless:

MONTREAL -- Saying he regrets not having done it earlier, pro soccer player David Testo has come out of the closet.

The former Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps midfielder tells CBC Radio-Canada that teammates knew he was gay and accepted him, but he was afraid to go public until now.

Testo is currently a free agent (he won't be making the move to MLS with the Impact), but as noted above, the North Carolina native has already played while out (at least to his teammates) for some time, making him the U.S.'s first openly gay male pro athlete in a team sport.

CCSLC signature.png

I saw this on ESPN and was somewhat surprised. I actually played high school soccer at the same school as him, but I was class of 2011. To those saying this is not a big deal because it is not nhl, mlb, nba, or nfl is flat out wrong. This is still a huge deal, as a sports player I couldn't care less about someones sexual orientation. As long as he comes out to play just like everyone else there is nothing to be upset about. This will hopefully encourage others in "bigger sports" to go ahead and come out, while terms like gay and fag are tossed around, I find a hard time believing people will insult him. Hope others step up and come out too.

Interesting that this story came out the same day I saw this: http://gawker.com/5858352/with-one-interview-fat-joe-makes-hip-hop-safe-for-gays

Sports and hip-hop, rightly or wrongly, are considered "manly" endeavors. It's great to see support of treating people as people coming from both places in the same day. There really is a cultural sea change regarding homosexuality and it's awesome to be a part of.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

It's going to take a player in a game deeply rooted in american culture (NFL/NBA/MLB) before this gets true awareness and hopefully acceptance. Although this is a nice first step!

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

This is interesting, and new. I think a lot more gay athletes will come out now and feel confident. Also by the time I have have kids, I think 30% of the world male population will be gay. It's something that we just need to get used to. I'm not gay, but this is the world we live in.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

This is interesting, and new. I think a lot more gay athletes will come out now and feel confident. Also by the time I have have kids, I think 30% of the world male population will be gay. It's something that we just need to get used to. I'm not gay, but this is the world we live in.

Good, less competition :P

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Good, less competition :P

Ya I think 6-10 years is plenty of time for that to happen.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Well, the sport announced it was gay months ago.

Unfortunately, that's the reaction that would happen if the one who came out was anything but a football player.

Glad that somebody's finally done it and even better that his teammates accepted him.

Wel, should've figured, ITS SOCCER!!!

Well, this is exactly what I was saying.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Where do you get 30%?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived