New Canadian Money

drdougfresh

I don't know if this is "old news" but since the LA Times article was posted yesterday, I'm assuming it's not that ancient.

Canada has some new bills they're releasing, the video put together by Bank of Canada is here:

I'm sorry, but that is awesome. A lot of technology, and the design is actually pretty nice (no comment on the Bank's use of Eurostile in the video, though). I like the windows, and how they have cleverly disguised a lot of the anti-counterfeit measures into the artwork on the bill.

What do you guys think?

Extra: not sure how many of you have seen the Dollar Rede$ign Project, but this one caught my eye a while back (and would totally be an awesome upgrade to our boring money): http://dowlingduncan.com/2010/dowling-duncan-redesign-us-bank-notes/

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why does it have to have the maple leaf all over it?

Seriously though, that is an amazing bill. Is that the Peace Tower? I hope the USA goes this route: the Capitol, the Washington Monument, the Statue of Liberty, and the White House would all look amazing on a window like that. Does anyone know what the windows feel like? In my head, I would expect something that looks like that to be that crinkly kind of plastic, but I don't think they'd go that route. Is this like the US redesign project where they start with the $100 and work their way down? I hope they have bills like this for at least the $20, so I have a chance to check one out when I'm in Canada. I don't really see myself carrying around too many $100's, unless the exchange rate really improves...

I was wondering how the window holds up to folding and crinkling. I know it's pliable, but is it foldable? I can see the window looking pretty nasty after not-too-long...more like a broken window. But, I'll reserve my opinion until I see one. I'm close enough to the Canadian border that I'll run into one eventually.

SIG1.png

SIG2.pngSIG3.png

Very modern, and strange looking, but cool ideas. I'm certainly interested in just how these appear in hand.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Extra: not sure how many of you have seen the Dollar Rede$ign Project, but this one caught my eye a while back (and would totally be an awesome upgrade to our boring money): http://dowlingduncan.com/2010/dowling-duncan-redesign-us-bank-notes/

Not a fan of those bills. I'm glad they are just concepts because it would be terrible if US money ever looked like that! They look too much like bookmarks and not enough like regular money.

I was wondering how the window holds up to folding and crinkling. I know it's pliable, but is it foldable? I can see the window looking pretty nasty after not-too-long...more like a broken window. But, I'll reserve my opinion until I see one. I'm close enough to the Canadian border that I'll run into one eventually.

I believe that is one of the biggest criticisms of polymer notes - they're harder to grip (ie for counting) and the don't exactly fold.

Have to say, the new note looks a little too futuristic at first glance for my tastes (it looks like it came straight out of Doc Brown's briefcase at the end of Back to the Future), but I'm warming to it.

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

I like the features and technology, but aesthetically, they're not very good-looking.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Not a fan of those bills. I'm glad they are just concepts because it would be terrible if US money ever looked like that! They look too much like bookmarks and not enough like regular money.

This, plus there are plenty of people who don't agree with the current president (it's basically half-and-half). Someone more widely accepted like Lincoln or Washington should really be used.

Not to mention those bills really just look like Monopoly cards to me when I see the different colors.

Extra: not sure how many of you have seen the Dollar Rede$ign Project, but this one caught my eye a while back (and would totally be an awesome upgrade to our boring money): http://dowlingduncan...-us-bank-notes/

Agree 100%. Those look like tickets or cheesy keychains. Try to imagine those being used as currency.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

This is good on them, for Canada. Way to introduce a more durable form of cash.

Now if our country can just get its priorities straight and stop being such sticks-in-the-mud about all this, polymer money could work here. Just need to introduce a $2 coin and ramp up use of the $1 coin....

UBwef0L.png

The United States should not rely on dollar coins and two dollar coins. I am not going to be carrying a coin purse on me and I despise coins in the first place. Although I do admire Canada's stainless steel coinage but I hate the fact that it's the same size as American coinage.

So you'd rather spend more on money and have to produce 100-200 times the number of dollar bills than you'd have to for the number of dollar coins?

This is why we can't have nice things.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived