New uniforms for the Astros in 2013?

shaydre1019

I've always thought the navy hat with the orange star should have become a timeless classic for the Astros. Its so basic in a way, but its along with the World Series Jays and the current White Sox as my favorite caps of all time. I hope they return to it, not matter the uniforms they would pair with it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If one team were to adopt road pinstripes, the Cubs would be perfect. IMO they had the only good-looking road pinstripes in baseball history:

Those were preposterous.

davekingman.jpg

You've gotta be kidding, dude.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If one team were to adopt road pinstripes, the Cubs would be perfect. IMO they had the only good-looking road pinstripes in baseball history:

Those were preposterous.

davekingman.jpg

Not kidding. They look very classy IMO, because I swear it looks like something that would have been worn in the '50s-early '60s. The only problem was that these duds were caught amidst the form-fitting style of the '70s.

But back on topic, if I were to have one wish for the 'Stros unis in 2013, it would be to ditch the train engineer motif. I understand that part of the entrance (or something like that) to Minute Maid Park is part of an historic train station, but c'mon...they're the Astros, not the Railmen as was stated earlier in the thread. I would like to see a return of the navy/orange color scheme (to me those colors scream "outer space"), but even something similar to the '90s navy/gold would look great as well. That '90s set has really grown on me.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

This would be awesome if they actually take into consideration what their fans say.

I wish more teams would do this. I think getting the season ticket holders together and their opinion first. Then maybe see what other local fans think.

That way you wouldn't end up with the BS the Devil Rays turned into, the massacre that is the new Lightning look, and whatever the hell the Marlins crapped out into a hat.

It sucks though that everyone immediately thinks, lets go back and bring a look back. I hate that. That is what kills the creativity and unique ability the teams have. Updated looks, like the Lightning previously did and the Blue Jays just did, isn't bad at all. I like that.

But all in all I prefer a new look being that. A new look. Not something that has already been used in the past. Also not something that's a mash up. With the money these teams spend couldn't they get a whole new look?

I see people on these boards with more creativity and talent than most teams have used in recent years. I'm sure a cool million would sit well with them.

FWIW I think the current Astros look is the best in their uni history hands down.

2ly2w09.jpg

Those were preposterous.

davekingman.jpg

Not kidding. They look very classy IMO, because I swear it looks like something that would have been worn in the '50s-early '60s. The only problem was that these duds were caught amidst the form-fitting style of the '70s.

But back on topic, if I were to have one wish for the 'Stros unis in 2013, it would be to ditch the train engineer motif. I understand that part of the entrance (or something like that) to Minute Maid Park is part of an historic train station, but c'mon...they're the Astros, not the Railmen as was stated earlier in the thread. I would like to see a return of the navy/orange color scheme (to me those colors scream "outer space"), but even something similar to the '90s navy/gold would look great as well. That '90s set has really grown on me.

To be honest, those look like a pair of pajamas for a 6 year-old, and there is nothing good that can come from grown men running around in pajamas for for 6 year-olds. It's just plain wrong on many levels.

Those were preposterous.

davekingman.jpg

Those in no way look like anything other than 70's/80's monstrosities. Look at uniforms from the 50's and 60's and you'll see nothing like these at all.

Those were preposterous.

davekingman.jpg

I'm just going to thank god that the Reds never tried to pull that off.

I've said this before, but they need to go stark black and white...a deep space motif, maybe with shuttle imagery.

lol, stark black and white goes great under the summer Texan sun.

You mean under the summer Texas roof. They close the roof for bad weather, and anything over 85 is considered too hot.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

That's one of the worse ideas I've ever seen. No wordmark? Mishmash of eras? Unnecessarily modified font? Just terrible.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I really don't think they need to make any real changes at all. What they have now isn't great, but isn't bad, either. If they do change anything, though, I hop they retain the "shooting star" cap logo, as I think it looks really good. I like it more than their older cap logos, anyway.

What I hate about their current logo is that it's supposed to be a "dynamic" shooting star while actually appearing about as static as can be.

+1

The previous star logo was better, and the current colors stink. Don't get me wrong, they're distinct (or were until the D-Backs pirated them), but they don't really communicate space or the stars at all.

Grunge-Logos.png

I really liked the old shooting/open star but after getting the cap, I can see why they changed it. You'll notice the current star has rounded edges which fixes the sharp ends of the previous star. Those ends just went on and on. Second the previous star was too wide. It loses a lot of energy in the open section (which becomes very obvious if you see yourself wearing it in a mirror). The current star is nicely squared.

Yeah, I have spent a lot of time thinking about this very issue.

• 2 months later...

Interesting, but I think the outline-star gets lost behind the H. The original worked because of the full star, which didn't have to be seen in its entirety to be clearly understood, whereas something important is lost when you don't get a clear look at this particular star design.

Archived