Royals 2012 Changes

Royals Insider

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Call it me, but I prefer that two-word city names not be scripts.

I feel the same way. It's just not "strong", and looks awkward with two capital letters.

I didn't really like the block KANSAS CITY either though. What I'd like to see is for them to go with the KC logo on the chest. Probably with no number on the other side, but a number would be OK. Their KC isn't as iconic as the Yankees' NY or Dodgers' LA, but it should really be used more than it is.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I feel the same way. It's just not "strong", and looks awkward with two capital letters.

I didn't really like the block KANSAS CITY either though. What I'd like to see is for them to go with the KC logo on the chest. Probably with no number on the other side, but a number would be OK. Their KC isn't as iconic as the Yankees' NY or Dodgers' LA, but it should really be used more than it is.

I've always thought that the full KC inside a crown logo is worthy of being on a jersey, but it would only work on white or grey.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

I don't like patches or full logos as the primary design element on a uniform, therefore I'll disagree with you. Just go with a KC on the left breast, and some kind of crown-only logo on the right (the full KC crown logo would be redundant in this case.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm not even sure monogram on gray works either. I was never a fan of the look with the mid-90s Giants.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

That would look great. I'm with you on no number on the other side too.

RE: the changes. Not crazy about the new road script. I like the white on the alts. Should have done the numbers as well.

Pardon me if I missed this along the way, no blue pants?

BB52Big.jpg

Pardon me if I missed this along the way, no blue pants?

infraredinSoCal

POTD.

Blue pants would have been great. The light blue just doesn't work as a home jersey with white pants IMO.

I don't think it works any worse than any number of colored alternates. If anything, I think light blue goes with solid white quite a bit better than a lot of colors do, and no colored shirt goes well with pinstriped pants. I feel like powder blue pants are such a relic, as much a part of baseball's sartorial Bad Dream as pullovers, sansabelt pants, pinwheel caps, the Pittsburgh Pirates' piped pinstripes (say that 3x fast), and whatever else has come and gone. I think powder blue with white is the best possible update, allowing the home crowd to see the Royals look a little like they did in their glory days without going full-out throwback or not wearing white at home. Of course, the Royals STILL botched it by using blue numbers when everything else is white, but them's the Royals.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't think it works any worse than any number of colored alternates. If anything, I think light blue goes with solid white quite a bit better than a lot of colors do, and no colored shirt goes well with pinstriped pants. I feel like powder blue pants are such a relic, as much a part of baseball's sartorial Bad Dream as pullovers, sansabelt pants, pinwheel caps, the Pittsburgh Pirates' piped pinstripes (say that 3x fast), and whatever else has come and gone. I think powder blue with white is the best possible update, allowing the home crowd to see the Royals look a little like they did in their glory days without going full-out throwback or not wearing white at home. Of course, the Royals STILL botched it by using blue numbers when everything else is white, but them's the Royals.

I think the numbers are blue on purpose. When the Royals first came up with the new powder blue jersey, it was billed as being a nod to the past with a modern twist, which is why they made the script blue instead of white. White seems to "pop" more than the blue, so they switched up the script and the numbers. Now, if you make the numbers white to match the script, people are going to start complaining that there shouldn't be an outline...because there wasn't one on the old uniforms. Then people are going to complain that the pants aren't blue... At that point, you basically have the old road uniforms that they're trying to wear at home - which doesn't work for obvious reasons. Believe me, the Royals do EVERYTHING they can to keep the memory of 1985 alive. The Royals team stores literally have more George Brett/Frank White/Bo Jackson merchandise than they do for any of the current players. So it's actually kind of a refreshing change to see something that pays tribute to those old teams, without trying to be the old teams. Everybody seems to love the A's new yellow alts and the Orioles new orange alts, but nobody is expecting them to wear them with yellow or orange pants like they did in the past. I guess I don't see why the Royals are held to a different standard.

I think the numbers are blue on purpose. When the Royals first came up with the new powder blue jersey, it was billed as being a nod to the past with a modern twist, which is why they made the script blue instead of white. White seems to "pop" more than the blue, so they switched up the script and the numbers. Now, if you make the numbers white to match the script, people are going to start complaining that there shouldn't be an outline...because there wasn't one on the old uniforms.

There may be some merit to this, but once you've committed to having three of the four elements look one way, it's weird to have one that doesn't match. The Dodgers can get away with it because they're the Dodgers. Especially tricky footing for a team that's aping the Dodgers quite a bit as it is.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If the front numbers aren't royal blue, then there's very little other than outlines to go with the royal blue cap.

There's the outlines and the sleeve piping. That's enough. These don't have the3 inch wide sleeve cuffs on the '70s and '80s sets, but those didn't have a royal blue outline on the wordmark and numbers, either.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

OR they should use this KC logo. ^_^ (in their colors, of course)

OR they should use this KC logo. ^_^ (in their colors, of course)

Don't the A's hold the copyright for that logo?

I love the double, touching line. It has a little bit of uniqueness - I believe this is the only team with the double touching line. But personally, I hate a white outline. It actually looks pretty decent with the Royals, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I love the double, touching line. It has a little bit of uniqueness - I believe this is the only team with the double touching line. But personally, I hate a white outline. It actually looks pretty decent with the Royals, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

Rangers and Nationals also have the Walmart jersey piping.

Archived