Most whacked-out team identity ever?

Viper

The fledgling Midwest Indoor Lacrosse Association just announced a new expansion team in Lincoln, Nebraska that features what may be the most bizarre team nickname/logo combo in all of North American sports at any level.

From the league Web site:

Nebraska will be entering a team into the MILA as the Fighting Perkins, playing their home games in Eastern Nebraska. Edwin Perkins, inventor of the delicious beverage mixture Kool-Aid, concocted the powder drink in Hastings, NE in 1927, and was the inspiration behind the design of the team name and logo.

Ready or not...

perkins4.jpg

CCSLC signature.png

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I first saw the logo, I actually thought it said 'Merkins'. That's about the only way that identity could have been more whacked-out, I think...

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

The Detroit Coney Dogs:

ci_logo_08.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

This is a ripoff on 2 levels. The first is obvious, even tho it seems like more of a tribute.

The second is that it is actually art that was done for Teefury. Its one of those t-shirt a day sites...

I know this cause I actually bought this one. It was supposed to be a mishmash of Kool-Aid guy and the Hulk.

Here is the original:

bottom-smash.jpg

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

The Detroit Coney Dogs:

ci_logo_08.jpg

Supposedly, coney dogs actually originated in Detroit, though Coney Island is where they became famous. Still, naming a team after any food or beverage is enough to put them on the "most whacked-out identity" short list. (See also the Omaha Beef.)

CCSLC signature.png

This is a ripoff on 2 levels. The first is obvious, even tho it seems like more of a tribute.

The second is that it is actually art that was done for Teefury. Its one of those t-shirt a day sites...

I know this cause I actually bought this one. It was supposed to be a mishmash of Kool-Aid guy and the Hulk.

Here is the original:

bottom-smash.jpg

I thought that was the same body as the Smash! t-shirt.

Love that shirt, by the way...I forgot to check TeeFury the day it was on sale.

Supposedly, coney dogs actually originated in Detroit, though Coney Island is where they became famous. Still, naming a team after any food or beverage is enough to put them on the "most whacked-out identity" short list. (See also the Omaha Beef.)

Still my favorite team name anywhere, ever.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

What about the Iowa Chops?

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Still not as funny as naming a football team the "Beef"--especially considering that word's also often used to describe linemen, which just makes it even funnier.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I can't wait to see those uniforms!

If their helmets don't have handles on the side I will be very disappointed.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Here is the original:

bottom-smash.jpg

I thought that was the same body as the Smash! t-shirt.

Love that shirt, by the way...I forgot to check TeeFury the day it was on sale.

lol I love this

Tf9TG.jpg

Archived