2011 NBA Free Agency

hettinger_rl

I remember the good old days, when individual entities owned teams instead of leagues, and this would have been called collusion.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The owners are only upset because Chris Paul was going to the Lakers? I can guarantee if Paul were being traded anywhere else they wouldn't have cared. The Lakers will still get Chris Paul AND Dwight Howard. Then the owners who complained will have to suck it.

EDIT: Chris Paul wants out of New Orleans and the Hornets just made a good deal for themselves, so now the Hornets are being screwed over as well.

EDIT Again: It looks like the owners complained to Stern and then Stern didn't want to let Chris Paul dicate where he is going to play. What difference does it make Stern?? Paul will go to either New York or the Lakers on the off-season anyways, let the Hornets get some talent back. And, Stern needs to go.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

The Lakers will still get Chris Paul AND Dwight Howard. Then the owners who complained will have to suck it.

Just stop, dude. I think the Lakers MAYBE could land Howard (but there's also a pretty good chance he ends up on the Bulls), but it appears their chances at CP3 are done.

Maybe it's time the Lakers seriously consider rebuilding through the draft. When done correctly, it has produced quick results for the Spurs, the Thunder, and even the Clippers.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The Lakers will still get Chris Paul AND Dwight Howard. Then the owners who complained will have to suck it.

Just stop, dude. I think the Lakers MAYBE could land Howard, but it appears their chances at CP3 are done.

Maybe it's time the Lakers seriously consider rebuilding through the draft. When done correctly, it has produced quick results for the Spurs, the Thunder, and even the Clippers.

Howard doesn't want to play for anyone else other than the Lakers, that's a fact. Getting CP3 was the only thing that didn't seem plausible. Until today, I didn't truly think that it was possible. Paul could go to the Knicks in the off-season, but they'd have to get rid of Amare or newly-signed Chandler. But the only other place that Paul can really go, besides the Knicks, is the Lakers. Today, the Lakers showed they are willing to do anything to get him, and that could factor into his decision next summer (assuming he doesn't get traded). But I've heard now that the league was upset that a.) the Lakers were going to get CP3, or that b.) they were unhappy with the amount of players the Hornets received for only losing Chris Paul. So, I will still cling on hope that the Lakers can land him if b.) was the reason why the trade was vetoed. League sources are also saying the deal won't be completed Thursday and they're just leaving it at that.

It's been a crazy few hours. And, if CP3 doesn't get traded to the Lakers, I'll feel as though Christmas (excuse the pun) was cancelled.

I applaud the NBA this trade was rigged, the Hornets were getting nothing for Paul.

I disagree. Compared to the what the Cavaliers got when Lebron left town or what the Suns got when Amare went to NY (nothing) this deal didn't look too bad for the Hornets. Chris Paul is on his way out of New Orleans, and to bring in Lamar Odom and Kevin Martin isn't a bad deal.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

To be honest, no matter the quality of the players involved for the Hornets, I don't think it would have been a good deal for them in the long run. Trading your superstar implies that you're going to have to rebuild from square one. Bringing in Lamar Odom and Kevin Martin would have only delayed the inevitable tanking for a couple more years, and they would not have gotten anything out of it other than a couple first-round playoff losses. They would have been better off trying to strike an equitable deal with a team that can offer young talent and picks, and they still have a chance to do so now.

xLmjWVv.png

I applaud the NBA this trade was rigged, the Hornets were getting nothing for Paul.

I disagree. Compared to the what the Cavaliers got when Lebron left town or what the Suns got when Amare went to NY (nothing) this deal didn't look too bad for the Hornets. Chris Paul is on his way out of New Orleans, and to bring in Lamar Odom and Kevin Martin isn't a bad deal.

Add Scola to that deal too. The Hornets actually got a decent haul from this and could build upon it if they wished. Hell, with that team as a core, they're a playoff team already (Barely in, but they'd make it as a 7 or 8 seed). The more I think about this, the more I think that the league would've been better off if the trade went through. They still would've looked bad if the deal got done, (mainly because it's the Lakers. Do you think people would be raising a stink if CP3 got traded to some random team in the Central Division?) but now they look worse.

Basically, the NBA was damned if they let the trade go through (because Laker Haters would cry that the league is rigged), & damned if they didn't (because now Lakers fans & a good chunk of neutrals are claiming that the league is rigged.). I still say that this could've all been avoided if the other LA team just said "Here, have Eric Gordon and let's get on with it." :lol:

I still say that this could've all been avoided if the other LA team just said "Here, have Eric Gordon and let's get on with it." :lol:

Hopefully, that certain other LA team takes advantage of their sudden new life and makes a deal. If it's LA Paul wants, it's LA he should get... he'd just have to suffer the "burden" of throwing all those oops to Blake Griffin. :P

xLmjWVv.png

ESPN is reporting that the trade is officially OFF due to league intervention. Holy crap. That's one hell of an unexpected twist. If I were Neil Olshey right now, I'd be getting on the phone right now and throwing in the Minnesota first-rounder and possibly DeAndre Jordan into our original proposal.

Why would you add to the deal?

Just stop, dude. I think the Lakers MAYBE could land Howard (but there's also a pretty good chance he ends up on the Bulls), but it appears their chances at CP3 are done.

What are those results?

The fact of the matter is the league wants the Hornets to succeed. Chris Paul is the Hornets. The community here is rallied around him. Without him, the Hornets move in two years, wether they are winners or losers. It had nothing to do with owners hating the Lakers and everything to do with not having a failed franchise.

The fact of the matter is the league wants the Hornets to succeed. Chris Paul is the Hornets. The community here is rallied around him. Without him, the Hornets move in two years, wether they are winners or losers. It had nothing to do with owners hating the Lakers and everything to do with not having a failed franchise.

But the fact is that Chris Paul will leave New Orleans after the season is over. David Stern just screwed the Hornets over. They at least were getting something in return for Chris Paul, now they'll get nothing. Also, I've heard reports that he will not show up for training camp tomorrow, and he is threatening to sue the league, as he should.

Serious question, as I do not understand legal (for lack of a better word) stuff, since the Hornets are league-owned, meaning the other 29 teams are the owners, how does Stern have the right to veto this trade? Can't the Lakers, Rockets, Hornets and even Chris Paul file anti-trust suit (I don't know what that means, I just read the Lakers can file that, and I don't understand what any of that means)?

Chris Broussard is reporting that Dwight Howard is going to request a trade to the Nets.

Well.

Apparently the Nets will offer Brook Lopez and two first round picks if the request is made.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

The Chris Paul trade, to me, didn't look like too bad of a trade for the Hornets. It was reported they would recieve Goran Dragic, Lamar Odom, Kevin Martin, and Luis Scola. They were going to pretty much get a starting line-up for Paul. It seems like a win-win-win trade. To me the Lakers would not of been as good as they were last year. Like someone else mentioned they would be losing size. If the reports are true that Dwight Howard wants traded to the Nets and it comes to fruition, then maybe the Lakers are going to be happy this deal didn't go through. I know Paul is one of the best point guards and even one of the best players--when healthy--but I still can't help to think that this could be a great deal for the Hornets and dare I say I think they would be a better team than they were last year.

The Chris Paul trade, to me, didn't look like too bad of a trade for the Hornets. It was reported they would recieve Goran Dragic, Lamar Odom, Kevin Martin, and Luis Scola. They were going to pretty much get a starting line-up for Paul. It seems like a win-win-win trade. To me the Lakers would not of been as good as they were last year. Like someone else mentioned they would be losing size. If the reports are true that Dwight Howard wants traded to the Nets and it comes to fruition, then maybe the Lakers are going to be happy this deal didn't go through. I know Paul is one of the best point guards and even one of the best players--when healthy--but I still can't help to think that this could be a great deal for the Hornets and dare I say I think they would be a better team than they were last year.

The fact that the Nets are offering Brook Lopez and two first rounders makes me happy the Hornets trade got blocked. Getting 2 starters and a backup from a lottery team plus an uninspired (did you hear his interview with Stephen A?) Lamar Odom is brutal for the Hornets. We actually take in a lot more money and it doesn't give us anyone to build around in the future.

Chris Broussard is reporting that Dwight Howard is going to request a trade to the Nets.

Well.

Apparently the Nets will offer Brook Lopez and two first round picks if the request is made.

Make it so Nets.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The fact that the Nets are offering Brook Lopez and two first rounders makes me happy the Hornets trade got blocked. Getting 2 starters and a backup from a lottery team plus an uninspired (did you hear his interview with Stephen A?) Lamar Odom is brutal for the Hornets. We actually take in a lot more money and it doesn't give us anyone to build around in the future.

I see and understand your point, but with Howard and Williams maybe the Nets aren't a lottery team anymore. Who knows what other trades the Hornets could of made with the players from the 3 team trade. They could of played out until the trade deadline and traded from somewhat of a power position, something they aren't in with Paul.

I see and understand your point, but with Howard and Williams maybe the Nets aren't a lottery team anymore. Who knows what other trades the Hornets could of made with the players from the 3 team trade. They could of played out until the trade deadline and traded from somewhat of a power position, something they aren't in with Paul.

It's very true, and I had the faith in Demps to make more trades to improve the team. Just seemed like there were some other offers out there (Celtics w/Rondo and Green, Clippers w/Bledsoe, Aminu, Minny's 1st) that made the team younger with potential building blocks, and not have to worry about moving around more contracts. None of that matters now though I guess.. <_<

Archived