2011 NBA Free Agency

hettinger_rl

Dan Gilbert sent Stern and others this. Yahoo got a hold of it:

Commissioner,

It would be a travesty to allow the Lakers to acquire Chris Paul in the apparent trade being discussed.

This trade should go to a vote of the 29 owners of the Hornets.

Over the next three seasons this deal would save the Lakers approximately $20 million in salaries and approximately $21 million in luxury taxes. That $21 million goes to non-taxpaying teams and to fund revenue sharing.

I cannot remember ever seeing a trade where a team got by far the best player in the trade and saved over $40 million in the process. And it doesn’t appear that they would give up any draft picks, which might allow to later make a trade for Dwight Howard. (They would also get a large trade exception that would help them improve their team and/or eventually trade for Howard.) When the Lakers got Pau Gasol (at the time considered an extremely lopsided trade) they took on tens of millions in additional salary and luxury tax and they gave up a number of prospects (one in Marc Gasol who may become a max-salary player).

I just don’t see how we can allow this trade to happen.

I know the vast majority of owners feel the same way that I do.

When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-nba_dan_gilbert_email_lakers_hornets_trade_120811

It looks like something you'd see in a fantasy league.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may be mistaken but this isn't Dan Gilbert's first letter/statement in comic sans(i'm not a font affiecienato but I think thats what it's called) is it? While some of the letter sort of comes off as being whiny, he does make a couple valid points and I definetly agree with him calling for a vote by the rest of the owners. I know alot of people dislike Dan Gilbert but I like that he speaks his mind. I've heard people complain all the time about owners, executives, and others having cookie cutter responses but this guy definetly seems like he has his heart and soul invested into his squad/league. I understand how alot of people defend the NBA trinity teams by saying that many of the all-time best teams/dynasties in the NBA were usually teams that had multiple superstars like the old Celtics, Lakers, etc. but there wasn't free agency back then was there? If not then that point is moot, but I think that this is starting to get ridiculous.

If i'm not wrong it started with the Celtics (Spurs don't count because they didn't sign their guys they drafted them)and then of course the Heat and now the Knicks, Nets, and Lakers are trying to become NBA trinities. The Lakers already had somewhat of a big three in my eyes but the way the Knicks, Heat, and the Nets(if Howard becomes a Net) are pulling these moves off is a slap in the face to general managers, fans, and the league(even though they make great money off these teams). Isn't there a rule against players talking with each other while under contracts with other teams about joining forces? It also rubs me the wrong way that players are now using their star power and contract situations to pick and choose where they go. I am not saying they don't have a right to play where they want but they should keep it to themselves until they are free agents. It is a touchy subject to some but they usually screw their current team out of a better deal. I don't believe this happens in any other sport and if it does I would think it would be rare. I know the NBA is more superstar driven than the other sports but I don't think this is good for the sport, I could also be completly off base.

If anyone knows of this happening in other sports what are some examples? The closest thing I can think of off the top of my head is in the NFL with John Elway Colts/Broncos and Eli Manning Chargers/Giants. Also in the NHL with Eric Lindros Nordiques/Flyers but these weren't established stars yet.

If anyone knows of this happening in other sports what are some examples? The closest thing I can think of off the top of my head is in the NFL with John Elway Colts/Broncos and Eli Manning Chargers/Giants. Also in the NHL with Eric Lindros Nordiques/Flyers but these weren't established stars yet.

No trade clauses are kind of like that in the sense that they can veto the trade if they don't want to go there.

Unless you're Jeff Carter and get royally screwed days before yours kicks in haha.

Manchester-City-icon.png

As far as I'm concerned what Stern did was down right illegal. And, if the Nets try to trade for Howard, they better veto the s :censored: out of it. Ahh, I just want to go to bed, and wake up to find that Chris Paul is a Laker.

I feel really bad for the players who were going to be traded from the Rockets and Lakers, now that they still have to show up to training camp, to a team that just tried to trade them.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Dan Gilbert sent Stern and others this. Yahoo got a hold of it:

Commissioner,

It would be a travesty to allow the Lakers to acquire Chris Paul in the apparent trade being discussed.

This trade should go to a vote of the 29 owners of the Hornets.

Over the next three seasons this deal would save the Lakers approximately $20 million in salaries and approximately $21 million in luxury taxes. That $21 million goes to non-taxpaying teams and to fund revenue sharing.

I cannot remember ever seeing a trade where a team got by far the best player in the trade and saved over $40 million in the process. And it doesn?t appear that they would give up any draft picks, which might allow to later make a trade for Dwight Howard. (They would also get a large trade exception that would help them improve their team and/or eventually trade for Howard.) When the Lakers got Pau Gasol (at the time considered an extremely lopsided trade) they took on tens of millions in additional salary and luxury tax and they gave up a number of prospects (one in Marc Gasol who may become a max-salary player).

I just don?t see how we can allow this trade to happen.

I know the vast majority of owners feel the same way that I do.

When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise?.

Dan G.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-nba_dan_gilbert_email_lakers_hornets_trade_120811

It looks like something you'd see in a fantasy league.

All I want for Christmas is a couple of blown ACL's for Dwight Howard and Chris Paul. Merry Christmas everybody!

Hopefully the Kings can punk them in their first game against them on the 26th.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

As far as I'm concerned what Stern did was down right illegal.

No it wasn't. Team owners are allowed to veto trades, and the NBA owns the Hornets, so it was completely acceptable by the rules of the league.

And, if the Nets try to trade for Howard, they better veto the s :censored: out of it.

It would be up to the Nets' owner to veto that trade. Not bloody likely.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I applaud the NBA this trade was rigged, the Hornets were getting nothing for Paul.

I disagree. Compared to the what the Cavaliers got when Lebron left town or what the Suns got when Amare went to NY (nothing) this deal didn't look too bad for the Hornets. Chris Paul is on his way out of New Orleans, and to bring in Lamar Odom and Kevin Martin isn't a bad deal.

Luis Scola is also an incredibly underrated player. I actually like this trade for New Orleans.

spacer.png

I never thought I'd say this...but the Lakers got screwed.

The NBA was kinda damned if you do, damned if you don't...by doing this, the whole thing looks like they are just making it up as they go (which they are) and that the owners were not even close to united (which they were not). Phil Jackson called it a year ago when the NBA took the Hornets over...that it would be a mess to deal with trades for that team.

However, had the NBA allowed the trade, then they'd have to endure the whole "see, it's still just going to be a handful of super teams." But that would have been the better move because A-people would get over it and B-a handful of super teams is better for the league. You want the Lakers in the finals every year (seriously). Nobody wants to watch Cavs/Wolves or Bucks/Kings.

As for Dan Gilbert, yeah, I chuckled at his Washington Generals line and he's right. Sorry Dan, your franchise will never be relevant. Nor should it be. Getting the stars to big markets is what makes the league tick.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Howard to Nets close to a done deal

Brooklyn, we go hard.

Eat a bag of d**ks Lakers and Knicks fans. Would've liked to see the Celtics get him, but it prob wasn't going to happen anyway.

Just the thought of Howard on the Nets is making me look forward to the season.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Gut punch for the Trail Blazers, Brandon Roy is forced to retire due to knee condition.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7335092/brandon-roy-portland-trail-blazers-retire-due-knees-sources-say

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived