2011 NBA Free Agency

hettinger_rl

Since when can the NBA block a deal that three teams agreed on.

Since they own the team initiating the trade (the Hornets).

True, but it's not like the Hornets were getting robbed. They were getting a package of players with potential. Now, if they don't get a deal off, they could end up with nothing. Blocking this deal hurts New Orleans just as much if not more than it hurts the Lakers.

Not really. Odom, Martin and Scola are all established veteran players. Adding them would have made the Hornets compete right now for a playoff spot and dwell in mediocrity. I think what NBA wanted here for the Hornets is promising young players and draft picks, the higher the better, to build for the future.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Lakers just got sick of the NBA's bull :censored: and we can't really blame them after they rejected another deal. Plus with the Lakers hearing how hard the Nets were going after Howard, they decided to go after him completely. I think the Magic probably will trade with the Lakers (completely unbiased opinion :P ). The Nets have offered Lopez plus a couple of draft picks and to take back Hedu. The Lakers probably will offer Bynum and Gasol, plus Dallas' first rounder and draft considerations. Which offer looks more appealing?

If the Lakers get Howard, I will still hold out hope that CP3 will sign with the Lakers in the offseason because I think the idea of playing with Kobe and Dwight will be extremely enticing to Paul. I really hope so. It'd suck if we didn't get any of them. But the rest of the league, and its fans, will probably rejoice.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

I wouldn't assume that the Lakers are going to get Dwight if I were you. The Nets are still the prohibitive favorites at this point, the Bulls are in the mix, and the Mavericks might even have an outside chance of getting him.

And honestly, if I were Otis Smith, I would take the Nets' offer. Brook Lopez is a promising young player, they'll have draft picks to help them rebuild, and they also get to take one of their worst contracts (Hedo) off the books.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Basically just stating the obvious which is fine because you can find this info through ESPN but they're not going to spell it out for you like that.

I think most people know that David Stern and the league was strongarmed into knocking this deal down. The only questions that remain are exactly who were the people that did the strongarming and what tactics were used. That you'll never get the complete story on because these are powerful people that aren't going to put themselves in a position to be criticized if they can help it. The Dan Gilbert e-mail is probably about as much real info as your going to get, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that Dan GIlbert writing an e-mail to David Stern by itself isn't enough to get a trade vetoed. If Gilbert had that much power LeBron James would still be in Cleveland.

I wouldn't assume that the Lakers are going to get Dwight if I were you. The Nets are still the prohibitive favorites at this point, the Bulls are in the mix, and the Mavericks might even have an outside chance of getting him.

And honestly, if I were Otis Smith, I would take the Nets' offer. Brook Lopez is a promising young player, they'll have draft picks to help them rebuild, and they also get to take one of their worst contracts (Hedo) off the books.

Key word: if. I'm actually very nervous that they take the Nets deal.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Looks like the Clips will match the Warriors' offer sheet for DeAndre Jordan. We'll be overpaying for sure, but you always have to overpay for big men in the NBA.

Now there's rumors of the Knicks, Hawks, and Warriors putting together a three-way sign-and-trade deal that would bring Jamal Crawford back to the Dubs.

I really wanted Jordan, but $10M a year is way too much for 7 points and 7 boards a game.

Now reports say the Warriors aren't involved in that deal. An offseason that seemed to have a lot of hope for the Warriors has been a complete disappointment so far

Of course, it wouldn't be a Chris Paul trade without major confusion. Broussard is insisting that Eric Gordon is in the deal, while Woj and the LA Times are saying it's Eric BLEDSOE getting traded. Sadly, I would not be remotely surprised if the four-letter is just mixing up the Erics.

Regardless, we're getting CHRIS FREAKING PAUL! I've never been so excited for a Clippers season ever. BTW, who knew Marko Jaric would end up helping the Clippers so much? He was traded for Sam Cassell (setting up our '06 playoff run) and Minnesota's 2012 first-rounder (which we're flipping for CP3).

xLmjWVv.png

I think New Orleans is getting a good deal here. Aminu and whichever Eric they get will be good, plus Minnesota's pick will probably be lottery. Then the Hornets pick will probably be in the lottery this year too. Two lottery picks in a loaded draft? Sounds good to me.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Clippers are now out of the CP3 race as well.

Word around town is that the two teams came to an agreement and the league once again rejected a trade. I'm pretty much convinced that Chris Paul will not be leaving New Orleans until that team is sold.

EDIT: The GMs agreed, but the league wanted MORE from the Clippers. Yeahhhhhh, the only way Paul is leaving New Orleans is if they get a superstar in return, or, again, the Hornets finally get sold.

I'm extremely disappointed. Bettman, you can breathe easy, because David Stern has taken back the title of worst commissioner in sports.

He rejected the Lakers' deal because he wanted young talent and picks, and now he's decided young talent and picks aren't enough? Absolute insanity. I love the NBA but this saga is making me question why I watch basketball. I feel bad for all the teams involved in this, and I especially feel bad for Chris Paul, who apparently will be forced to play out his contract in New Orleans because of David Stern's ego.

xLmjWVv.png

Archived