2011 NBA Free Agency

hettinger_rl

What I don't get is, why veto this trade when I think it actually makes the Lakers worse on the court. I don't see this trade alone magically transforming the Lakers into a rolling death machine.

Because we all know it will be inevitably followed up by the Lakers grossly ending up with Dwight Howard... unless the Nets' trade for him doesn't get shut down over those tampering accusations.

The Lakers getting Dwight Howard would be the only way that this trade would turn into a net positive for them. Because if CP3 is all they get, they'll be the exact opposite of what the Knicks currently are: Amazing guards, [Lamar Odom]puddin[/Lamar Odom] for forwards.

Kobe & CP3 would make them a 100% playoff team (and be pretty awesome to watch), but they wouldn't be contending for a title.

Here's the problem with the Lakers if they get CP3 and whiff on Dwight: they'll be depending on two players with a long history of knee problems, and it's a shortened season with lots of consecutive games. They might get lucky and avoid injuries for the most part. If one of their Big Two goes down, the team becomes significantly more mediocre. If they both miss significant time, the Lakers will end up like the Heat a few years ago when all their stars got hurt.

The Clippers could very well hold their own against the Lakers with only CP3 and Kobe, especially with Eric Gordon trending towards a breakout year. But if the Lakers also end up with Dwight, that's pretty much it for everyone else but the Heat and maybe the Bulls, and the league will be a lot worse off for it.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently the Lakers have pulled out of the CP3 deal. No word on whether or not the Hornets will continue to try to make some sort of deal with the Rockets, but it's looking like CP3 won't be going to the Lakers at least.

Another twist in this wacky-ass saga, and it's barely been a fortnight since Chris Paul requested to be traded. :wacko:

EDIT: The Lakers switched trade partners, and Lamar Odom will be headed to Dallas as part of a deal with that team. Wow.

EDIT 2: The reason why the Lakers pulled out of the deal was because the league rejected ANOTHER agreed-upon deal from the 3 parties involved. Wow.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/12005/the-chris-paul-trade-what-the-nba-did-wrong

Well, apparently the owners shot down the trade because it would've put a lot of money on their books.

I don't entirely agree with the grantland column, though it makes some valid points. But don't a lot of teams have a conflict of interest in letting Paul stay on the Hornets till he hits free agency? If the Lakers traded for him they could have taken him off the table by offering a contract extension.

But it's interesting that Gilbert seems to have more sway than Cuban!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

From ESPN:

The shellshocked Hornets will try to recover swiftly from the collapsed trade and remain determined to trade Paul as soon as possible. Sources told ESPN.com the Los Angeles Clippers have emerged as the "early front-runner" to land Paul.

The Golden State Warriors are also expected to stay in the bidding, with the Warriors' Stephen Curry and the Clippers' Eric Gordon known to be the two players coveted most by the Hornets' basketball people throughout their aggressive search for a Paul deal.

So, basically, we're back to where we were before the Lakers got involved. Make the trade already, Olshey!

xLmjWVv.png

Looks like the Clips will match the Warriors' offer sheet for DeAndre Jordan. We'll be overpaying for sure, but you always have to overpay for big men in the NBA.

Now there's rumors of the Knicks, Hawks, and Warriors putting together a three-way sign-and-trade deal that would bring Jamal Crawford back to the Dubs.

xLmjWVv.png

Looks like the Clips will match the Warriors' offer sheet for DeAndre Jordan. We'll be overpaying for sure, but you always have to overpay for big men in the NBA.

Now there's rumors of the Knicks, Hawks, and Warriors putting together a three-way sign-and-trade deal that would bring Jamal Crawford back to the Dubs.

Everything I've seen says Crawford would be going to New York, not Golden State. I'm not sure what the Hawks would be getting that would improve over Crawford, but who knows.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Everything I've seen says Crawford would be going to New York, not Golden State. I'm not sure what the Hawks would be getting that would improve over Crawford, but who knows.

If he goes to New York, I think it's gonna be similar to how the Mavs got Odom from the Lakers w/ the trade exception. I'd rather get players in exchange for Jamal, but cap space would be nice since the Hawks have about one dollar and twenty-seven cents left in cap space. :lol:

When teams make trades, do they still have to make the financials of the deal close to even?

I always thought it was supposed to be within 125% of the salaries plus 100k for either side.

And it looks like the Grizzlies are exploring the McRoberts for Mayo deal again. I really hope they get something other than Josh McRoberts in that trade.

The new CBA says within 150%, so that should cut down on a lot of having to send crap the other way to balance dollar amounts. And that's fine, really; having to take on bad money just to get the future cap space and/or draft picks you're really trading for was one of the quirks of NBA capology that nobody liked. Memories of Larry Hughes with the Bulls here.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Houston is apparently working on a Marc Gasol sign-and-trade with Memphis. I mean, what is Memphis thinking, trading away a key piece of their successful playoff run? Let alone a promising young center.

They're thinking they are flat broke.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

WTF... for the last two days I was under the impression that David West was now a Celtic. Now I stumble upon headlines that David West signs with the Pacers. Seriously, deals need to stop being reported as complete until they are actually complete, like the CP3 to LA trade. And even as a Celtics fan, the NBA's move to block that deal is total BS. Since when can the NBA block a deal that three teams agreed on. They may think that they're helping the Hornets, but I don't see them now getting a package better than Scola, Martin, Odom, and Dragic. Nice going, NBA.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Since when can the NBA block a deal that three teams agreed on.

Since they own the team initiating the trade (the Hornets).

True, but it's not like the Hornets were getting robbed. They were getting a package of players with potential. Now, if they don't get a deal off, they could end up with nothing. Blocking this deal hurts New Orleans just as much if not more than it hurts the Lakers.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Archived