2011 NBA Free Agency

hettinger_rl

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope. I'm not trying to hear conspiracy when all the Clippers had to do was include Gordon and they'd be the ones with Chris Paul.

Oh believe me, I'm pissed at Olshey. He basically lowballed his way to letting the Lakers have another free dynasty.

I do feel your pain, though. If I was a Clippers fan and THIS was the result of playing hardball with the Hornets after basically having the key to a deal in your hands, I'd be pretty damn indignant.

The upside to the Lakers getting CP3 is that Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom aren't on the team anymore; their size, IMO, was what gave teams the most problems.

That said, however, I wonder if and how this impacts the Hornets' ownership chances and their future in New Orleans. They apparently had an owner willing to buy and keep the team there, but without CP3, the franchise's value will take a hit, won't it?

From a Hornet's fan I hate this trade in so many ways. We will now be stuck as a 7-11 seed for 3 or more years. We have two starters from a team that didn't make the playoffs last year, and another guy who needs to be extremely motivated to play well. And all of those guys have contracts around 10 mil per year.

Now I know that there will probably be other moves to be made, but this is NOT how you rebuild a team.

(Oh and Goran Dragic is pretty good too :rolleyes: )

So apparently the league is putting a halt to the trade because the owners (at the lockout vote) raised a stink about the trade being too lopsided in the Lakers favor. So the deal won't go into effect on Friday.

If this actually happened, then LMAO.

It really is a bad trade for the Lakers. Yeah, Paul's the best point guard in the league, but how excited can he be about having to waste his talents to pass to Kobe 90% of the time and having to go through at least 2 Only Kobe Plays games. Who the hell will play forward now? Bynum's also going to be out for the first five games and isn't exactly made of iron. The Lakers basically traded away their main strengths ( Size and Rebounding) for what could be a one year rental with 1 knee. Pau was always underrated to me, because if the trade doesn't happen the Lakers would have struggled to get past the 1st round for the past 4 years. The Lakers will pretty much need to pray to the protector of knees.

Player with an injury history playing for what is not his first option...

Kobe playing with an elite point guard for the first time in his career...

New coach...

No front court depth at all (or half-decent starters, for that matter)...

2 of 3 best players have injury histories...

2nd best player is old and selfish, but the offense will still run through him...

Compressed schedule with plenty of back to backs..

Sounds like a trainwreck to me.

PS Could not be more excited for Chandler coming to the Knicks, great upgrade on defense and a recruiting tool for Paul (still holding out hope)

PPS A player like Battier to upgrade the bench was all the Heat needed to make them the overwhelming favorite to win a title this season. Heat over Thunder in a sweep, and they win 55+ games. Having 3 players that score 19+ points a night helps a lot when playing 3 in a row, as the scoring load can be switched.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

So apparently the league is putting a halt to the trade because the owners (at the lockout vote) raised a stink about the trade being too lopsided in the Lakers favor. So the deal won't go into effect on Friday.

Well this is embarrassing.

If anything, I thought the Lakers were giving up too much for CP3, but okay NBA owners. I guess the Hornets still are your team too.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Via Twitter:

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski The NBA has killed the proposed deal to send Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers, league sources tell Yahoo! Sports.

I'm surprised the NBA had the stones to block this move. I didn't see anything wrong with it, but hey, being a Laker hater I'm glad the league stepped in.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Well this is embarrassing.

If anything, I thought the Lakers were giving up too much for CP3, but okay NBA owners. I guess the Hornets still are your team too.

The Snag came from the Lakers, not the owners. Lakers want a big man from either the Rockets or Hornets in return.

EDIT: I'm just confused as hell right now.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Perhaps it was Khloe Kardashian that halted the trade :P

Perhaps it was Khloe Kardashian that halted the trade :P

hahahah ^

I've actually heard the opposite, that the league was unhappy with how many players the Hornets got in return. I'm just so confused right now.

Via Marc Stein's twitter: "Our own @Chris_Broussard on SportsCenter: Chris Paul fuming and exploring legal options w/NBPA director Billy Hunter to fight blocked deal"

The Saga Continues...

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

Archived