NFL Los Angeles Team Concepts

logofan20

Most of the names being proposed in this thread would stick out like a sore thumb in the NFL. Also remember that the NFL is not going to use a name that they can't 100% control for all perpetuity, including logo and merchandising - so there isn't a chance in hell that any USFL names will come back.

Honestly, I think it's going to be the name of whatever team moves to LA. I don't think there'd be any reason to change it.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
take colors from the environment. come up with something original, not like royal blue and yellow. look at photos of LA and old surfer mags. or new surfer mags. try to bring out the local culture and personality in the colors

No. It's Los Angeles. It has millions upon millions of people, and numerous "local cultures" unto themselves. No color/nickname gimmicks. All they have to do is be a team.

Also, you can't have a team called the "Defenders" because they'll be on offense.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

take colors from the environment. come up with something original, not like royal blue and yellow. look at photos of LA and old surfer mags. or new surfer mags. try to bring out the local culture and personality in the colors

No. It's Los Angeles. It has millions upon millions of people, and numerous "local cultures" unto themselves. No color/nickname gimmicks. All they have to do is be a team.

Also, you can't have a team called the "Defenders" because they'll be on offense.

dont most cities? what im saying is find something that represents LA, and the target market. i can not accept that "good enough" is good enough (like royal blue and yellow. overdone!) and im not even sure what a color or nickname gimmick would be. they have to have each, right?. be original, be unique, try harder! see the Buccaneers and Seahawks as prime examples.

i will also say that most of the names thrown out are pretty weak, but as a brainstorming session this thread has been great. keep the names going. quantity is better than quality in these types of things. if you have enough ideas being thrown out, theres bound to be 1 good one in the mix. its easy to weed out the weak.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

But the Jaguar has important significance in Aztec culture and the Aztecs were the original inhabitants of what is now Los Angeles. I'll be extremely diappointed if an Aztec-style rebrand doesn't come out of the Jags moving to LA.

Rams and Chargers (as other have pointed out) have worked in LA before and will work just as good again if it comes to that.

Honestly, I think it's going to be the name of whatever team moves to LA. I don't think there'd be any reason to change it.

Even the Vikings?

The Vikings are the only relocation candidate whose name wouldn't fit in locally. In that case, I'd play off the similar colors to the Lakers and call them the LA Pacifics.

But the Jaguar has important significance in Aztec culture and the Aztecs were the original inhabitants of what is now Los Angeles. I'll be extremely diappointed if an Aztec-style rebrand doesn't come out of the Jags moving to LA.

Rams and Chargers (as other have pointed out) have worked in LA before and will work just as good again if it comes to that.

Not so fast my friend. The Jags' new owner has said he wants to keep the team in Jacksonville, and their lease on the stadium runs through 2029.

IMO if a team moves to LA, it will probably be a California team, maybe the Rams since a majority of their history was spent there.

What are some good colors/names/logos for a possible Los Angeles NFL team, provided whichever team moves there rebrands?

Names:

Los Angeles Gladiators - Might work if they played at the L.A. Coliseum, but that place is about as old as the Coliseum in Rome!

Los Angeles Marvels - Sounds too much like a Shazam! comic book.

Los Angeles Quakes - Too obvious a name to me. Doesn't move me (no pun intended).

Los Angeles Mammoths(La Brea Tar Pits) - This one I like.

Los Angeles Sentinels - This one has potential too!

Los Angeles Orcas(whale watching)- Not feeling this one as much, but I definitely understand the origin.

Los Angeles Waves - No. Makes me seasick for one. For another, L.A. had to "wave" bye bye to 2 teams already. Also reminds me too much of the USFL's Boston/New Orleans/Portland Breakers.

Los Angeles Avengers(Adopt defunct AFL team name) - I like this a lot too, nice alliteration working there. Anaheim Avengers perhaps? Los Angeles Avengers of Anaheim?

Los Angeles Rockers - Reminds me too much of the WNBA's Cleveland Rockers. I don't associate L.A. with rocks or rockers. Rockers sounds like something 90 year olds sit in.

Los Angeles Stars - Too generic, plus they'd need a star for their logo, and the Cowboys pretty much have cornered the market on that one.

Los Angeles Riots(Ha) - This is in rather poor taste.

Some of these have real potential however. I'd be curious to see those who are gifted in the art of logo and/or uniform design to come up with logos for some of these too!

I do like Mammoths. But I really think a team should consider using "Hollywood" in its name instead of "LA." The name branding wouldn't matter in the NFL like it does to the Angels in baseball, and nobody's doing it, at least to my knowledge.

Not so fast my friend. The Jags' new owner has said he wants to keep the team in Jacksonville, and their lease on the stadium runs through 2029.

IMO if a team moves to LA, it will probably be a California team, maybe the Rams since a majority of their history was spent there.

How about the Los Angeles jaguars of Jacksonville? Jk but would the Rams move before Oakland, San Diego or Minnesota?

Edit: Fixed it

Leases have been broken in the past as have promises of new ownership to keep teams where they are. I'll believe all this when an NFL team besides the Jags takes its first snap in LA... and even then, I'll still be skeptical if that team happens to be anyone but the Chargers (LA's current de facto team).

The NFL is a stickler for teams keeping their names when they move. Even Tennessee had to use the "Oilers" name for a season after they moved. They also forced the Cardinals to keep that name the entire time they were in St. Louis, despite the baseball team having that exact name for 60 years prior at that time.

Got a source for that second part? Because the first part isn't true at all.

The Oilers kept their name after the move because Bud Adams didn't want to change it, not because the league forced him to. He was personally fond of the name, and former players asked him not to change it. But after taking a lot of heat from the fans in Tennessee, he finally agreed to adopt a new name.

Plus the Tennessee Oilers were around for two years ('97 and '98), not just one year.

I always figured the Oilers kept their name for two years since they were going to be playing temporarily in Memphis (though 98 was at Vanderbilt). I thought it gave them a chance to capitalize on merchandise sales twice.

The other Tennessee team to relocate into the state, the Grizzlies, did something similar. They kept the old Vancouver logo while in the pyramid, then a new logo for the new arena.

If Bud Adams was so fond of the Oilers, I'm surprised the Tennessee Copperheads idea didn't end up as the new name.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

But the Jaguar has important significance in Aztec culture and the Aztecs were the original inhabitants of what is now Los Angeles.

Not even close. Aztec civilization existed in central-south Mexico. Southern California was covered by multiple other tribes pre-contact, with the Chumash and Gabrieleno tribes being centered around Santa Barbara and Los Angeles:

Aztec_Empire_c_1519.pngcalprecontact.gif

Aztecs were over 1600 miles away from Los Angeles at their closest. The Apaches, even the Comanches and the Sioux, were closer to LA than the Aztecs ever were. But you don't see Southern California teams called by those tribal names, as were the LA Aztecs of the NASL and as the San Diego State Aztecs which still exist.

The reason for the attraction to using the name "Aztec" and Aztec imagery in California (and the entire Southwest, for that matter) is simple, however. The Aztecs were clearly Mexico's premier tribe, and they've got great imagery. It's a name and a look that one can be proud of. California was once a part of Mexico; ergo, by the thinnest of extensions, they use the name and imagery of the "Aztec".

But don't get confused that there were Aztec people, language, pyramids and such in Southern California.

It is what it is.

The NFL is a stickler for teams keeping their names when they move. Even Tennessee had to use the "Oilers" name for a season after they moved. They also forced the Cardinals to keep that name the entire time they were in St. Louis, despite the baseball team having that exact name for 60 years prior at that time.

Got a source for that second part? Because the first part isn't true at all.

The Oilers kept their name after the move because Bud Adams didn't want to change it, not because the league forced him to. He was personally fond of the name, and former players asked him not to change it. But after taking a lot of heat from the fans in Tennessee, he finally agreed to adopt a new name.

Bud Adams also made sure that the NFL retired the Oilers name from use in 1999 so there could not be another Houston Oilers team.

realclearpolitics.com

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

- Robert A. Heinlein

One name that would be cool because the Hollywood culture there is LA Stars. I don't think it would fly though because obviously the Cowboys essentially have a lock on the Star symbol in the NFL.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Archived