Worst ideas in sports history

johnnysama

Hockey:

? Hockey south of Nashville.

Baseball:

? The current system that determines who gets into Cooperstown

Basketball:

? Basketball in New Orleans (that hurt me to admit)

? Latin Heritage Night or whatever it's called. Just put "El" in front of the team name. It's Spanish enough :rolleyes:

Football:

? Rules against the defense

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Because Ohio has such a rich hockey heritage rolleyes.gif

So do California, Pennsylvania, and Missouri.

Yes, but Pennsylvania's only relevant NHL team (the Penguins) actually has fans that support them.

Um, you do realize that the Flyers were Stanley Cup runners-up only two seasons ago, right?

However, they're from Philadelphia, which means they're automatically irrelevant.

LvZYtbZ.png

However, they're from Philadelphia, which means they're automatically irrelevant.

I'm really starting to understand why they tell me to ignore you.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Steroids.

MLB should make a ruling that anyone who uses steroids or used steroids faces the possibility of banishment from baseball, the same as is done with those who gambled on the game.

They should also have their records stripped, which would mean Hank Aaron would again be the all-time home run king and Roger Maris would be the single-season home run record holder.

He's a fan of Philadelphia sports and Notre Dame football... which means they are the exact antithesis of what sports and human culture are supposed to be. Oh, and the SEC is the only elite college football conference and should take up the top 13 in the BCS no matter what. Vanderbilt is more elite than Oregon, Stanford, USC, Oklahoma State, Texas, etc.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Steroids.

MLB should make a ruling that anyone who uses steroids or used steroids faces the possibility of banishment from baseball, the same as is done with those who gambled on the game.

They should also have their records stripped, which would mean Hank Aaron would again be the all-time home run king and Roger Maris would be the single-season home run record holder.

You gotta admit....the Home Run Derby was a lot more fun to watch when the players were juicing.

Now it's three hours of balls barely clearing the fence. Boring.

He's a fan of Philadelphia sports and Notre Dame football... which means they are the exact antithesis of what sports and human culture are supposed to be. Oh, and the SEC is the only elite college football conference and should take up the top 13 in the BCS no matter what. Vanderbilt is more elite than Oregon, Stanford, USC, Oklahoma State, Texas, etc.

Actually, no, I'm not - I have no favorite team. I just happen to live in an area where there are a lot of Philadelphia sports fans. The problem is that if I say anything remotely positive about them, that makes me a homer. So I must be negative about them, because that is the only acceptable solution.

LvZYtbZ.png

Actually, no, I'm not - I have no favorite team. I just happen to live in an area where there are a lot of Philadelphia sports fans. The problem is that if I say anything remotely positive about them, that makes me a homer. So I must be negative about them, because that is the only acceptable solution.

Obviously.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

NCAA Football----How they decide the championship.

NCAA Basketball----How many teams get into dance.

MLB----These contracts are just insane. Mid level players seem to get 8 million easy.

NFL----Making the conference championships, super bowl, and pro bowl logos cookie cutter generic bull$#1T

NBA----These trinity teams.

NHL----All the piping teams got with the Reebok Edge and my Pens jerseys. Also the All-Star game set up.

• 2 weeks later...

NFL:

Only allowing defenders to touch receivers within a 5-yard area. It should be 10 yards.

The Browns drafting Tim Couch #1 overall in 99 before getting a team around him.

The Texans drafting David Carr #1 overall in 02

The 1970 realignment. This is how it should have looked:

AFC East: Bills, Dolphins, Jets, Patriots

AFC Central: Bengals, Browns, Colts, Steelers

AFC West: Broncos, Chargers, Chiefs, Oilers, Raiders

NFC East: Cowboys, Eagles, Falcons, Giants, Redskins

NFC Central: Bears, Lions, Packers, Vikings

NFC West: 49ers, Cardinals, Rams, Saints

When 1976 came along, they could have put the Seahawks into the NFC West, moved the Cards to the NFC Central, and put the Bucs in the AFC East.

MLB:

I agree with an earlier poster about the firing of Fay Vincent. There was a problem because he wanted to do some re-alignment in the NL, moving the Cubs and Cards to the NL West and the Braves and Reds to the NL East.

NBA:

The Jazz trading several first rounders in 76 to the Lakers because coach Butch Van Breda Kolff thought that Gail Goodrich wore his 32 years well. Goodrich retired a year later. On a side note, one of those first rounders was used on a legendary player: Magic Johnson.

Not putting the Cincinnati Royals in the Western Conference in the early-60's when the Chicago Zephyrs moved to Baltimore. We could have seen Oscar Robertson in a few NBA Finals, and if they sprung an upset, maybe the Royals eventually stay in Cincinnati.

The NBA turning their back on ABC for CBS in 1973 because they didn't like taking a backseat to Monday Night Football. Red Auerbach was the only team exec that saw how bad the move was. Red said to the other execs that Roone wasn't going to take it lying down, and he didn't. He promoted the heck out of the Saturday afternoon college football games and Sunday Wide World of Sports in an attempt to hinder CBS's NBA Coverage.

The Blazers making a tremendously hasty decision to trade a young Moses Malone in 1976 right before the season started.

NHL

Putting teams in Nashville, Columbus, Atlanta, and Anaheim. In Columbus's case, that team should have went to Cleveland. They had a new arena opening at that time, and the league could have put them in a division with the Pens and Sabres to create a new rivalry. In Anaheim's case, how messed-up are you if you put an expansion team in the league that is named after a kid's movie?

Not expanding at all from around the Great Depression to 1967, and then taking on six teams at once. They should have let the old Cleveland Barons team into the league in 1954. They would have been successful, and that probably would have fostered further expansion by the late-50's. Maybe the WHA never comes into being.

The 1967 alignment. They should have divided the 12 teams up geographically instead of putting the expansion teams in one division.

NCAA Football: It has been discussed ad-nauseam. It is a joke.

NCAA Hoops:

Expansion to 68 teams.

Not expanding the tourney sooner. They should have expanded it to 32 before 1975.

Liberal substitution rules in football. Return to limited substitution and make players play both offense and defense.

I don't see that happening--increases the chances of injury, and decreases the number of jobs...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Liberal substitution rules in football. Return to limited substitution and make players play both offense and defense.

I don't see that happening--increases the chances of injury, and decreases the number of jobs...

Of course it won't happen, sport is spectacle and no longer sport these days. I would say that injuries would not be as great as you imagine because limited substitution would cut down on player size. However, limited substitution in college football would level the talent and cut costs.

FsQiF2W.png

It can, and does. Atlanta didn't, and it wouldn't have had it been continued to exist. Time to start getting over it.

Never said i wasnt. It takes a good, honest, likeable owner to make ANY sports team in any sport work ANYWHERE. Just look at the Jacksonville Jaguars. They're like the Thrashers of the NFL. Bad owner and continues to field a bad product year after year.

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

College football: Oregon's weekly fashion shows.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Designated Hitter. Nothing else comes close.

I understand old-timers are against the DH, but I would like for it to be in both leagues especially now that they have taken steroids out of baseball. I like high scoring baseball games and if the national league had an extra power hitter in the lineup then it would help produce more exciting games like in the steroid era.

College Football

1. BCS - Let's move to a playoff system already.

NFL

1. Excessive Celebration Penalties - as long as they don't effect the next play, who cares?

NBA

1. Three steps is a walk - please call it.

2. Touching someone on the arm is not always a foul.

3. The lockout with no age limitation and no hard salary cap - useless lockout!

spacer.png

Archived