Best stadium/ballpark food

johnnysama

Aah, food. One of my favorite things in the world (even though I gotta watch myself now), and even more fun to have at a ballpark/stadium, in spite of the inflated prices at them these days.

What I'd like to do in this post, is share some of the niceties that you've had the pleasure of eating/drinking during your visit at a stadium. So, here we go.

---

One of my favorite things to eat @ Safeco Field is the sushi there. Really, in a place like Seattle, sushi is a must, and it can't be beat. I plan on visiting Portland when the MLS season starts, and I think that Jeld-Wen Field might add a Voodoo Doughnut there (a local donut shop there, it's worth it, for those in the PDX).

UBwef0L.png

Last night I actually caught an episode of 'Man V. Food' where the host samples some food from the ballpark of the Gateway Grizzlies in Sauget, Illinois. I've seen the episode before, and I have to say, I've never wanted to go to a minor-league ballpark so much in my life.

One was a Krispy Kreme bacon cheeseburger, which I'm not sure if I'd like but would want to try. The other was Philly cheesesteak nachos. Yes, nachos. All the fixings you'd put on a cheesesteak, Monterey Jack cheese sauce instead of normal nacho cheese, the peppers and onions, the steak. It looks like it'd be one hell of a meal. I hate cooking, but I'm actually tempted to try recreating it at home.

**edit** Link to nachos picture added

I don't know if this counts, but my local racetrack (Merrittville Speedway, for any locals or dirt racing enthusiasts who like to travel) has some really good food. They have these thick-cut fries that still have the skins on them that are just delicious, and pretty solid hamburgers to boot. They also serve fried dough, which is messy as hell but really good. It's the only place around here that I know of that still sells it. As an addendum, never buy an soft-serve cone at a dirt track... your vanilla cone will look like chocolate by the third lap.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I preface this by saying I'm automatically disqualifying chain-food that you can get AWAY from the park, because otherwise ShakeShack at Citi Field takes the cake. I know people say everyone has the "best burger" or whatever, but if you go to any ShakeShack and DON'T think it's the best burger you've ever tasted then I feel sorry for you, I really do.

Anyway, with that disclaimer/rant out of the way, I nominate:

- Nationals Ballpark Buffalo Dog

- Any bratwurst at Miller Park

- OPACY Funnel Cake

Second disclaimer: I've been to 20/30 current ML Parks, still counting whatever Joe Robbie is being called this week since the new park has yet to officially open. Their food sucks though.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I've always liked the sheer variety at my hometown Nationals park. The names of vendors, and outside vendors, seem to be really diverse. I'll list some...

"Park Concessions"

Nats Dogs, Steak of the Union, Taste of the Majors, Baseline Brews, Field of Greens, The Sweet Spot, Senators Sausage,

"Outside Concessions"

Shake Shack, Bens Chili Bowl, Hard Times Cafe, Georgetown Grill, Flippin' Pizza

Many of the Outsiders are D.C. famous. Bens Chilli Bowl and Hard Times more so than the others.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Skyline Cheese Coney at Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati.

My link

At first glance, I was like 'spaghetti dog'? That's a whole lotta cheese haha

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Brats at County Stadium/Miller Park...simple.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Skyline Cheese Coney at Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati.

My link

At first glance, I was like 'spaghetti dog'? That's a whole lotta cheese haha

Skyline Chili is amazing and it is a lot of cheese which makes the hotdog a whole lot better.

spacer.png

I've always liked the sheer variety at my hometown Nationals park. The names of vendors, and outside vendors, seem to be really diverse. I'll list some...

"Park Concessions"

Nats Dogs, Steak of the Union, Taste of the Majors, Baseline Brews, Field of Greens, The Sweet Spot, Senators Sausage,

"Outside Concessions"

Many of the Outsiders are D.C. famous. Bens Chilli Bowl and Hard Times more so than the others.

I miss "Five Guys" at Nats Park. However, I like the "Bring Your Own Food" option.

Dodger Stadium has some of the worst food and worst variety.

Also, what's the deal with some parks not giving lids on drinks (at least CHC/CIN/CLE/SF)?

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

The Loaded Nachos at Rangers Ballpark come to mind; basically a taco salad that turns into tortilla soup. It's pretty awesome. The best food that I've had all around though came from my hometown high school football games where they serve Frito Pie right in the bag. Frito Pie by itself is good, but on a sub-freezing night in the third quarter, there's nothing like it.

Frito Pie is great, but give me the paper boat. I've never understood the appeal of eating it out of the bag. I was trying to remember the name of the Rangers' specialty dog when I came across this interesting website:

http://www.delish.com/food-fun/baseball-stadium-hot-dogs

Most of these look great....a few others, not so much. And I've had the "Loaded Big Dog," with jalapeños which was amazing, though I couldn't move for three innings :P

newsig.jpg

It really does not matter what the town's specialty is, it gets lessened since the stadium concessions is operated by a company such as ARAMARK, Sodexho, Centerplate, SportsService, Global Specrtum who have quality control of what still is served. One or two local specialties get the ability to operate, but they are never the same as what it is at the original location.

I've been to about 130 stadiums and arenas, but not a whole lot stands out as great:

cheese curds at Midway Stadium, home of the St. Paul Saints

Chicago Style Hotdog, O'Brien Field, home of the Peoria Chiefs

BBQ Nachos from Neely's BBQ at FedExForum, home of the Grizzlies

AT&T Park...it was 10 years ago, but when my Dad and I walked in we spent 45 minutes wandering the park trying to figure out what to eat because everything looked so good

Ashburn Alley, Citizens Bank Park...I had a cheesesteak and I'm sure they're are better ones in Philly (I was passing through time quick), but it was quite good

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

"Park Concessions"

"Outside Concessions"

I miss "Five Guys" at Nats Park. However, I like the "Bring Your Own Food" option.

Ah but see, on my way to the park, I pass a Five Guys only two blocks from the stadium.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Archived