College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

_

_With so many teams doing special game unis all the time or adding so many different combos and colors does it not screw up that sense of tradition that college football prides itself on? I mean I enjoy flipping through the games and seeing team matchups in the uniforms that are their actual uniforms. Maybe the longhorns have hit it on the head...lets be crazy with our practice unis but keep our regular season unis traditional. Oregon was one thing but its spread like a bad disease and when a team like Georgia tech wears some bs bubble wrap it just got to the point where it should stop or have the staff of what not to wear figure out if it should be used or not

_

_

_A lot of schools don't necessarily care about tradition. New uniforms help with recruiting, which in turn will (ideally) make the team better. You'll always have your standard powerhouses ('Bama, LSU, USC, Texas, etc.) that don't need to go with that tactic, but some schools need the help.

_

_I never bought into that theory. That's like choosing to buy a car because it has heated seats. I sure hope students athletes are smarter than that.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AdiZero Smoke Spotlight cleats unveiled for tomorrow night's game: http://solecollector.com/news/adidas-unveils-adizero-smoke-spotlight-cleats-for-wisconsin-vs-nebraska/

_

_

The adiZero Smoke received an upgrade for this annual matchup between adidas-sponsored schools. Making its on-field debut for the brand will be their new SPOTLIGHT technology, which uses reflective glass beads on the material's surface to shine bright under light.

_

_adidas-adizero-smoke-spotlight-wisconsin-nebraska-01.jpg

_

_Interesting. I wonder how they'll look on TV.

_

_

_With so many teams doing special game unis all the time or adding so many different combos and colors does it not screw up that sense of tradition that college football prides itself on? I mean I enjoy flipping through the games and seeing team matchups in the uniforms that are their actual uniforms. Maybe the longhorns have hit it on the head...lets be crazy with our practice unis but keep our regular season unis traditional. Oregon was one thing but its spread like a bad disease and when a team like Georgia tech wears some bs bubble wrap it just got to the point where it should stop or have the staff of what not to wear figure out if it should be used or not

_

_

_A lot of schools don't necessarily care about tradition. New uniforms help with recruiting, which in turn will (ideally) make the team better. You'll always have your standard powerhouses ('Bama, LSU, USC, Texas, etc.) that don't need to go with that tactic, but some schools need the help.

_

_I never bought into that theory. That's like choosing to buy a car because it has heated seats. I sure hope students athletes are smarter than that.

_

_

_One would hope so, but new shiny things are like gold to 18 year olds.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_Honestly though, I design uniforms and stuff for a living, and 18 year old, super football prospect (non-student athlete) me would evaluate colleges in this order:

_

_- Coaching/Development

_- Program Prestige

_- Playing Time

_- Campus/Facilities

_- Teammates/Other recruits

_- Location

_- Attractiveness of female coeds

_- Quality of College Town

_

_And after all those factors I might then start considering the attractiveness of uniforms or supplier as a deciding factor.

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_i'd say its like buying a car that just looks good. and everyone wants to drive a car they look good in

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

_AdiZero Smoke Spotlight cleats unveiled for tomorrow night's game: http://solecollector.com/news/adidas-unveils-adizero-smoke-spotlight-cleats-for-wisconsin-vs-nebraska/

_

_

The adiZero Smoke received an upgrade for this annual matchup between adidas-sponsored schools. Making its on-field debut for the brand will be their new SPOTLIGHT technology, which uses reflective glass beads on the material's surface to shine bright under light.

_

_

_

_

_Maybe it's the pessimist in me, but knowing Adidas, I have a feeling these will fail in execution.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_Honestly though, I design uniforms and stuff for a living, and 18 year old, super football prospect (non-student athlete) me would evaluate colleges in this order:

_

_- Coaching/Development

_- Program Prestige

_- Playing Time

_- Campus/Facilities

_- Location

_

_And after all those factors I might then start considering the attractiveness of uniforms or supplier as a deciding factor.

_

_not sure why this concept os so tough to grasp for so many around here. I don't think anybody seriously thinks any recruits pick a school based on their uniforms. But special or crazy uniforms get recruits to notice a school they may not otherwise have considered. Maybe they take a visit and see they actually like the coaches, facilities, city, campus and playing time opportunities and then decide at that point to go there. They didn't go there for the uniforms, but they might have not checked it out but for the uniforms. That is what happened at Oregon and is happening at TCU and other places.

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_- Coaching/Development

_- Program Prestige

_- Playing Time

_- Campus/Facilities

_- Location

_

_

_not sure why this concept os so tough to grasp for so many around here. I don't think anybody seriously thinks any recruits pick a school based on their uniforms. But special or crazy uniforms get recruits to notice a school they may not otherwise have considered. Maybe they take a visit and see they actually like the coaches, facilities, city, campus and playing time opportunities and then decide at that point to go there. They didn't go there for the uniforms, but they might have not checked it out but for the uniforms. That is what happened at Oregon and is happening at TCU and other places.

_

_

_That's what I was trying to get at.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

Illinois has confirmed via facebook that they will be wearing the crappy matte navy helmets tomorrow. I fully expect them to ratchet-up the crappiness by combining them with navy jerseys and pants. And they will be facing a team which is solid white other than numbers and a helmet stripe. Modern Kewl faces Old School in a match to determine once and for all who can be the most visually uninteresting.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

_AdiZero Smoke Spotlight cleats unveiled for tomorrow night's game: http://solecollector.com/news/adidas-unveils-adizero-smoke-spotlight-cleats-for-wisconsin-vs-nebraska/

_

_

_

_

_

_

_Good! Let's blind the athletes to further increase the derps in this tirefire of a football game.

_Illinois has confirmed via facebook that they will be wearing the crappy matte navy helmets tomorrow. I fully expect them to ratchet-up the crappiness by combining them with navy jerseys and pants. And they will be facing a team which is solid white other than numbers and a helmet stripe. Modern Kewl faces Old School in a match to determine once and for all who can be the most visually uninteresting.

_

_

_The players should not get to demand new uniforms after last weeks' debacle. Hell, they should be glad Illinois is still honoring their scholarships.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_- Coaching/Development

_- Program Prestige

_- Playing Time

_- Campus/Facilities

_- Location

_

_

_

_No, I understand the theory, I just don't buy into it as much as some others do.

_

_You know what gets a school noticed? Winning. Good coaching. Playing on national TV. How's Maryland doing since they wore those abominations last year? The U has really gone uphill since being Nike's original guinea pig 10 years ago.

_

_People crediting Nike's uniforms as a major reason for Oregon's or TCU's rise is a little silly IMO when compared to good leadership, great talent evaluation in recruiting, and a school-wide dedication to the football program. Yes they have the "cool" factor going for them, but I would argue that the 40M Nike dropped on Oregon's new facilities are a much greater influence than new uniforms every 3 weeks.

_

_

_

_

_

_

_I'm on a college campus right now. Most 18 year olds aren't that smart. Hell, I've met some of the football team and they're for the most part, worse. So I think it's entirely plausible that a kid would choose a school for stuff like that.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

_Here's the picture Illinois released today for the new helmets. This might have been the worst kept secret in NCAA football this year.

_

_ACB8E643-5B47-4448-9949-04578B5CF467-1759-000001B9EBD4F5C4.jpg

_

_

_Not a bad looking helmet I suppose, but it's not better than what they have right now in my opinion.

_

_This particular opinion might be an unpopular one, but I think the current Illini helmets are one of the best in the nation. It just has that big-time program look to me. Like the old Giants helmet, the "power script" just gives it that bold feel. And obviously, it's a pretty unmistakeable helmet. I was hoping it'd be one of those helmets that stayed for decades, but I'm thinking it's going to be gone very soon (I haven't really followed much from this offseason, so if that was by chance already established, I apologize).

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_Look at those Kia commercials. They use "hip" hamsters to sell their cars to the youth. Like a tiger on a cereal box. I'm afraid they might be that dumb.

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_I'm on a college campus right now. Most 18 year olds aren't that smart. Hell, I've met some of the football team and they're for the most part, worse. So I think it's entirely plausible that a kid would choose a school for stuff like that.

_

_

_we already know they do. or at the very least knock a school for having a uniform they dont like. its not everything, but it is some thing. i dont think theres a coach in the country that would tell you uniforms dont play a part in recruiting. (its important for Texas and Alabama too) its not as big of a deal as location, playing time, and academics but it is on the list.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Per ESPN, recruiting rankings since 2006:

2006: All "traditional" uniforms until Oklahoma State at #15

2007: Miami and South Carolina are only non-traditional uniform teams in top 10

2008: Miami and Virginia Tech (before UCLA stripes style uniform they currently use) only non-traditional uniform teams in top 15

2009: Miami and South Carolina only non-traditional uniform teams in top 15

2010: Miami and Cal only non-traditional uniform teams in top 15

2011: Oregon (#14) and South Carolina (#15) only non-traditional uniform teams in top 15

2012: Miami only non-traditional uniform team in top 15

2013 (in progress): South Carolina (#14) only non-traditional uniform team in top 15

So as you can see, these "flashy uniforms" every week are not having too much of an impact on top schools recruiting. Oregon only has 1 top 15 finish since 2006 and they barely even snuck in at #14.

Flashy new uniforms probably only benefit schools in recruiting in the #25-#50 class range.

camnewton2.jpg

Auburn University Alum

Archived